Polarized vs non polarized filters
4943 6 2017-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Haneyca
lvl.4
United States

I am looking at buying some filter for my Mavic Pro. I have found videos comparing the density of filters but none comparing a polarized vs non-polarized filters of different densities. I am trying to decide which I should get. Not sure that I will ever need all 6 in the 6 packs that include both polarized and non-polarized. Any help would be great! Thanks!
2017-3-11
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

You choose from a range of ND filters in order to get your shutter speed to a multiple of your frame rate in your current lighting conditions. You might choose a polarizer to cut down on reflections and haze, like over water. Hope this helps.
2017-3-11
Use props
AmaruP4P
lvl.1
Canada

I got the ND-8 - I found that the ND-4 is like having nothing there. The ND-8 is amazing: http://store.dji.com/product/pha ... d=20201#/?_k=pe2yqb
2017-3-11
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

I'm in the early stages of determining which filters to get mysekf.  ND filters will be beneficial to videos, and as ex Machina states, are intended to knock down shutter speed.  This adds a slight amount of blur to motion giving a more cinematic feel.  Otherwise, in bright light, you get very sharp, but unnatural motion.  Regarding ND, I do think a range of f stop adjustments could come in handy, depending on sunny, cloudy, extremely bright (sunny reflection off of snow), etc.  So I would think a minimum of 3 ND.

Polarization may be less useful/beneficial, but could be useful in some circumstances.  They certainly are designed to eliminate glare and haze, but in reality, the ones on the market are circular; meaning, you must turn the filter for the angle of polarized light you are trying to eliminate.  This would be different for every direction the camera lens is pointing in relation to the source of light (position of the sun).  And since you don't have the luxury of adjusting the PL for every turn the drone is making, you may not be getting the benefit of PL with every shot.

What I understand would be beneficial with PL is that you are suppose to get more color saturation.  Some prefer to handle this in post, while others like to address through the lens.

I think no matter what you choose, you'll benefit, but you may find more filter choices give you greater options to chose from when you consider the different light situations you may encounter with each flight.
2017-3-11
Use props
Haneyca
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-11 16:01
You choose from a range of ND filters in order to get your shutter speed to a multiple of your frame rate in your current lighting conditions. You might choose a polarizer to cut down on reflections and haze, like over water. Hope this helps.

I've just seen some videos where the polarized filter produced some glare spots (much like some polarized sunglasses do) but I live near a lake so I'm not sure if it would be more useful. Odds are I'll end up buying a set with and without haha.
2017-3-11
Use props
Haneyca
lvl.4
United States

AmaruP4P Posted at 2017-3-11 18:24
I got the ND-8 - I found that the ND-4 is like having nothing there. The ND-8 is amazing: http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-4-pro-nd8-filter?vid=20201#/?_k=pe2yqb

Yes from the videos I have seen ND-8 and ND-16 seem to be the sweet spot. More often than not ND-32 looks like too much. But still wish I could see a video of ND-8 polarized and not polarized. I found one but I think it was a low quality filter because the polarized looked really terrible.
2017-3-11
Use props
Haneyca
lvl.4
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-3-11 18:53
I'm in the early stages of determining which filters to get mysekf.  ND filters will be beneficial to videos, and as ex Machina states, are intended to knock down shutter speed.  This adds a slight amount of blur to motion giving a more cinematic feel.  Otherwise, in bright light, you get very sharp, but unnatural motion.  Regarding ND, I do think a range of f stop adjustments could come in handy, depending on sunny, cloudy, extremely bright (sunny reflection off of snow), etc.  So I would think a minimum of 3 ND.

Polarization may be less useful/beneficial, but could be useful in some circumstances.  They certainly are designed to eliminate glare and haze, but in reality, the ones on the market are circular; meaning, you must turn the filter for the angle of polarized light you are trying to eliminate.  This would be different for every direction the camera lens is pointing in relation to the source of light (position of the sun).  And since you don't have the luxury of adjusting the PL for every turn the drone is making, you may not be getting the benefit of PL with every shot.

Oh that makes sense about them being circular and explains why the few videos I've seen have some glare spots. Thank you for your help!
2017-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules