Broken Arm
1965 9 2017-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cazinoaz6
lvl.1

United States

One arm on my Inspire 1 is broken. I'd like to fix it myself rather than sending back gor repair. My plan is to join the two halves with epoxy and then wrapping the joint in Guerrilla Tape. Any comments?
2017-3-11
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

They make a product that they sell at Lowe's ( home improvement store )  in the Plumbing area and it  may be just the ticket.  It is similar to a plaster cast, I believe it has an epoxy resin in it.  It fixes pipe and shovel handles -etc.   Might even be able to paint it as well .

I would stay  away from tape .

Also Make sure your alignment is perfect or you are going to have flight issues.

Did you look on e bay for any crash part deals ?  You might find the boom ( arm ) at a good price .
**Inspect the internal wiring in that boom for sure , make sure nothing was damaged .

good luck

donnie
2017-3-11
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I believe this is what Mr. Stugots is referring to:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-x-1-4-yds-Repair-Wrap-857101004013/204413279
xxxfn.jpg
2017-3-11
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I personally would not repair it. But if you are a the type that wants to Fix It Yourself....... then buy the replacement arm from a dealer or EBay.   EBay has parts listed.

The DJI shop has dropped there pricing last summer and you might be surprised on the price of a DJI repair!  This is the option to get it fixed per the OEM specs...

Rich
2017-3-11
Use props
JonCahillPhoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15256 ft
United States

I'd say you can patch it, if it wasn't a aerial device that is prone to lots of force from several directions (wind, thrust, braking, et al). The proper and safe way is to replace the part.
2017-3-11
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

You're best course of action wold be to send it in for a repair service to ensure the repair is done properly.
2017-3-11
Use props
Movin on
lvl.4
Flight distance : 173455 ft

United States

In my experience, replacement, not repair, is the way to go.  DJI will give you an estimate and they will do it RIGHT (soldering the LEDs and alignment is tricky).  If you are looking for a replacement arm and want to try change it yourself, you can find replacements on ebay or Amazon.
2017-3-14
Use props
Focus4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2436886 ft
United States

How on earth did you break a carbon fiber arm? Replace, not repair. I wouldn't consider a home patch-job to be airworthy.
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it was a ground vehicle, who cares what you use as long as it works for a while.
But for an aerial vehicle, be safe and replace the arm. What if it held for a while then got weak and failed while you were flying over people. You could lose your a lot more than you Inspire.
2017-3-14
Use props
Alastair
lvl.4
Flight distance : 96631 ft
United States

There is a YouTube video demonstrating an arm repair that was reinforced on the inside that looked like it was successful.  As Donnie mentioned, proper alignment is critical .
2017-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules