Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Howdy!

How brave are you?
I'd like to test the RTH feature, but i'm a bit too chicken to test mine .... well we'll see

What i want to test is the avoidance when RTH. I wanna see how the mavic performs when RTH is initiated and the height is set to someting lower than an obstacle in its path. It's supposed to detect an obstacle and raise up to avoid it, and continue on its path. So lets say set the RTH heigh at 20m, and a tree in its path is 30m high. I want to see the mavic detect the tree, raise up and pass it then land (with precision landing if poss)

Who's brave enough to test it? i should really, as i bought the DJI care pack, but i'll be honest, it scares me anyone done this by mistake and happy with the way the mavic reacted ?

2017-3-11
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

You can always watch carefully and abort the RTH if you think it's not going swimmingly.
2017-3-11
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I would not knowingly or willingly put my Mavic at risk. I set the RTH altitude so that it is higher than anything around where I am flying.
However, having read some of the things that others have done, someone will probably take up your offer.
2017-3-11
Use props
Trent Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1098924 ft
United Kingdom

The Mavic would probably crash into the tree. Remember the sensors only pick up larger objects (Number 2... http://forum.dji.com/thread-88220-1-1.html). So when its travelling at around say 15mph (approximately) in RTH mode it'll pick up the tree trunk and maybe some of the thicker branches with a couple metres to go, but by that time it'll have already collided with some of the smaller branches and quite possibly crashed
2017-3-12
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Trent Mavic Posted at 2017-3-12 00:53
The Mavic would probably crash into the tree. Remember the sensors only pick up larger objects (Number 2... http://forum.dji.com/thread-88220-1-1.html). So when its travelling at around say 15mph (approximately) in RTH mode it'll pick up the tree trunk and maybe some of the thicker branches with a couple metres to go, but by that time it'll have already collided with some of the smaller branches and quite possibly crashed

I second that. I've done some testing now during winter and the little branches are potentially deadly (not detected). Can't say for sure how detection will work later on with leaves on the trees but I don't see the point in testing with RTH - too risky. Anyhow - I do appreciate the POI mode and the course lock etc but otherwise I fly manually and so haven't had a problem with the Mavic - I would definitely recommend that as opposed to anything else.
2017-3-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

There are many videos on you tube so yes it works, that's good enough for me, I know chicken!!!!
2017-3-12
Use props
Flyboyz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 142615 ft
Singapore

I would rather set the RTH at a higher range just in case.
2017-3-12
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

I lost connection with my Mavic once and the RTH activated.  Like Everyone has said, just set your return altitude.  In my case (nod to rnrnrn) small branches can be a problem.  So can thing like power lines. If you look around, there are lots of things "up there" that aren't solid enough to be detected but definitely solid enough to ruin your Mavic's day.
2017-3-12
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Just setup the RTH height like 10 feet and max speed really low . Find open field to take off and fly about 50 yards away then hit RTH . Stand under it and hold a pc of cardboard or different things in front of it as it is slowly moving back to home .
2017-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules