12Next >
3115 47 2017-3-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mikel-PNW
lvl.3
Flight distance : 133642 ft
Canada

So excided to fly, Didnt realize i need another 20 feet to clear the tree along the river. Sport Mode got the better of me.
After the shock settled in i went into recover mode and found it in pieces. The gimbal was completely distoryed, battery was located further away. props were distroyed.

2017-3-11
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

R.I.P. Go for the next one
2017-3-11
Use props
Mikel-PNW
lvl.3
Canada

I did order another one.  I also have State Farm Ins,  Bought the PAP policy last week. Now for the dreaded phone call to file the claim, I feel like an idiot.
2017-3-11
Use props
Haneyca
lvl.4
United States

Ouch! I actually cringed when I watched it!
2017-3-11
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Sorry for your loss. Best of luck filing with insurance, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
2017-3-12
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Yes that's Bad! I'm surprised you didn't see it coming though!
2017-3-12
Use props
SteveDickin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I cried inside when I saw that tree approaching.
2017-3-12
Use props
ClancyO
lvl.2
Flight distance : 296053 ft
United States

The anticipation of where this was going to go wrong was very entertaining.  Sorry that happened, but I can relate.
2017-3-12
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

2017-3-12
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Mikel-PNW Posted at 2017-3-11 20:54
I did order another one.  I also have State Farm Ins,  Bought the PAP policy last week. Now for the dreaded phone call to file the claim, I feel like an idiot.

Can you let us know how this comes out dealing with State Farm? I've heard they'll replace the damaged Mavic with no cost to the insured. Sounds to good to be true. I'd like to know, how you make out and if State Farm has anything hidden in the policy. Your the first I read about that will be filing a claim with them.
2017-3-12
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2017-3-12 07:49
Can you let us know how this comes out dealing with State Farm? I've heard they'll replace the damaged Mavic with no cost to the insured. Sounds to good to be true. I'd like to know, how you make out and if State Farm has anything hidden in the policy. Your the first I read about that will be filing a claim with them.

I've read of a few others who have filed claims.  The story always results in a quick settlement for the full retail value.
I went through a lot of research, as others have, before purchasing PAP.  Hope I never have to use it, but I have tremendous peace of mind flying.  Unlike Care Refresh, you do not have to recover the Mavic to file a claim and receive settlement......
2017-3-12
Use props
Mikel-PNW
lvl.3
Canada

I was on the other side of the tree. as it was heading my way i was not looking at the video feed at the time, I was looking up anticipating the Mavic was high enough (94feet) and fly over my head.
The PAP insurance was purchased last week, Very disappointed in myself. I will give update on PAP when i resolve issue.
2017-3-12
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

Haneyca Posted at 2017-3-11 21:05
Ouch! I actually cringed when I watched it!

I did too! Lol
2017-3-12
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

I didn't even know I could get something that covers my Mavic. Can't wait to find out how this goes.
2017-3-12
Use props
Ely324
lvl.3
Flight distance : 904888 ft
United States

Curious to hear about the insurance claim, my local State Farm never called me back after asking about a policy for my Mavic and Phantom... I too have had an accident with a tree, an inexperienced pilot here, and it was when I wasn't looking at the live video feed but directly watching the drone.
2017-3-12
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

Ely324 Posted at 2017-3-12 11:04
Curious to hear about the insurance claim, my local State Farm never called me back after asking about a policy for my Mavic and Phantom... I too have had an accident with a tree, an inexperienced pilot here, and it was when I wasn't looking at the live video feed but directly watching the drone.

I never realized how high some trees were until I had to fly over them. Tulip poplars can be 135 feet. Best to know the trees in your area and add 50 feet if the land is flat.

I also didn't relize until recently how much faster the pause button will stop the Mavic than if just letting off the sticks. It's like slamming on the brakes. Very cool! Good for emergency stops if you see it in time, especially in sports mode...but you've got to have your finger on the brake.

2017-3-12
Use props
Mike-PNW
lvl.3
United States

UPDATE: Filed the claim online,  within 24 hours my State Farms agent called me inquiring what happened. Then claim personnel called few minutes later asking the same thing.
She told me they were sending me a check for$999+ tax. Very simple to deal with and easy. I feel bad that i had to file a claim 4 days after getting it insured, But im glad i did.
2017-3-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Mike-PNW Posted at 2017-3-15 09:14
UPDATE: Filed the claim online,  within 24 hours my State Farms agent called me inquiring what happened. Then claim personnel called few minutes later asking the same thing.
She told me they were sending me a check for$999+ tax. Very simple to deal with and easy. I feel bad that i had to file a claim 4 days after getting it insured, But im glad i did.

Thanks for the update. That's consistent with the other cases I've heard where people filed a claim with State Farm: they cut a check quickly with little hassle after the claim is filed.
2017-3-15
Use props
superjet96
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142743 ft
United States

Sounds like it is time to talk to a State Farm agent!
2017-3-15
Use props
R1Mavic
lvl.1
United States

Oh man!!!  Glad to hear State Farm took care of you.  I have several vehicles with them.  I plan to call today for a PAP quote.
2017-3-15
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

FYI - filing a claim under PAP is essentially the same as filing one under home insurance when premiums are calculated.  After 1 or two, your rates will increase.  I do not personally recommend using a PAP policy to protect your drone.  You may save money on the first claim, but you will eventually pay it back in.  Even if you are with a different insurance company, filing claims with other large insurance companies will increase your rates.  
2017-3-15
Use props
Mike-PNW
lvl.3
United States

method007, Thats crazy thinking, I spent $36 for a PAP with an insurance company i do no no other business with and they paid my claim with no problems. Explain how that will raise my home or auto insurance with a totally different company? Unless im missing something!
2017-3-15
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike-PNW Posted at 2017-3-15 11:06
method007, Thats crazy thinking, I spent $36 for a PAP with an insurance company i do no no other business with and they paid my claim with no problems. Explain how that will raise my home or auto insurance with a totally different company? Unless im missing something!

Your insurance company is going to run multiple reports when it's time to renew your premium.  Generally it's things like ISO or CASE, but there are a few others.  Those reports are from a database that most large insurance companies report into regarding claims.  You will show that you filed a personal accident protection claim, which in the insurance world is the same as filing under your home owners insurance.  Your insurance company is going to see you as a bigger risk.  It works the same way as car accidents, they follow you from company to company.  

FYI you can acquire your own claims history from LexisNexis if you want to see what we see:

https://personalreports.lexisnex ... 236D1C80CAEAB4444B6
2017-3-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That was a proper crash, at least your insured, it's easy to fall down hard bit is getting back up again, hope your back flying soon.
2017-3-15
Use props
simsstash
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1025823 ft
Canada

Oh NOOoooo....
2017-3-15
Use props
Mike-PNW
lvl.3
Canada

method007 Posted at 2017-3-15 11:18
Your insurance company is going to run multiple reports when it's time to renew your premium.  Generally it's things like ISO or CASE, but there are a few others.  Those reports are from a database that most large insurance companies report into regarding claims.  You will show that you filed a personal accident protection claim, which in the insurance world is the same as filing under your home owners insurance.  Your insurance company is going to see you as a bigger risk.  It works the same way as car accidents, they follow you from company to company.  

FYI you can acquire your own claims history from LexisNexis if you want to see what we see:

I understand what your saying.... My opinion,  Best $36 i ever spent.
2017-3-15
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mike-PNW Posted at 2017-3-15 13:58
I understand what your saying.... My opinion,  Best $36 i ever spent.

Yea, it saved you a thousand bucks!!  I'm not saying not to do it - I'm just providing info so you can be informed.  
2017-3-15
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

been there done that. In my case it was a cactus...
2017-3-24
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

Ouch. Sorry that happened. Would have liked to see the fall and settle in to place.
2017-3-24
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

I used Sport mode once... It crashed. Not damages at all. I never went back lol
2017-3-24
Use props
ngvuanh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

Please fly carefully since the more claim to them in a short time, the more chance for us to lose the coverage when they think we are "abusing" it.
2017-3-24
Use props
Mike-PNW
lvl.3
United States

ngvuanh Posted at 2017-3-24 09:16
Please fly carefully since the more claim to them in a short time, the more chance for us to lose the coverage when they think we are "abusing" it.

Believe me, I felt bad having to do that so soon after getting coverage.
2017-3-25
Use props
OOO
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3319262 ft
  • >>>
Turkey

Please be careful with your new drone and fly safe.
2017-3-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Oh man, the pain of it, these things are sent to try us, hope you insurance works out, and your back in in the air soon..
2017-3-25
Use props
Beezzzzy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 280522 ft
United States

Ugh thats brutal. Im glad I got State Farm for my Mavic too.
2017-3-25
Use props
Mike-PNW
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-25 10:11
Oh man, the pain of it, these things are sent to try us, hope you insurance works out, and your back in in the air soon..

Insurance paid claim very fast and already received the new one from DJI, Im back in the air with new and improved experience.
2017-3-25
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-3-15 11:18

I'm curious what type of policy would suffer a potential increase from a PAP claim?  Homeowners, auto, both?

The chances of premiums going up on an insurance policy renewal are far less than a new policy when changing insurance providers.  There is likely next to no impact except for claims made to the existing insurance policy when renewing a policy because there is consideration of your history paying premiums to the same company over a longer period of time; especially when  your premium history is unblemished pertaining to claims against your policy.  

So, it may be true that using DJI Care Refresh has zero impact on insurance premiums, and making a PAP claim "may" have some potential impact above zero, I can easily state that at minimum you are paying $79 on top of the $99 to use DJI Care Refresh.  For the life of me, I can't see a $1400 claim increasing a premium, or a quote for new insurance by the amount it costs to use DJI Care Refresh.  To me its an economic no brainer.

But until this has been tested, we can just keep debating the benefits of PAP vs Care Refresh......
2017-3-25
Use props
b33
lvl.2
Spain

Can you upload the material directly from your SD card to youmavic.com? you only uploaded the youtube which is missing all the meta informations. cheers
2017-3-25
Use props
Mike-PNW
lvl.3
United States

b33 Posted at 2017-3-25 11:27
Can you upload the material directly from your SD card to youmavic.com?  you only uploaded the youtube which is missing all the meta informations. cheers

The strange story with this video is that it was what was captured on my phone, Not the SD card. The SD card for some reason stopped recording roughly 6 seconds before hitting the tree.. not sure why.
2017-3-27
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Mike-PNW Posted at 2017-3-27 05:54
The strange story with this video is that it was what was captured on my phone, Not the SD card. The SD card for some reason stopped recording roughly 6 seconds before hitting the tree.. not sure why.

I'd guess that it was still recording but that the missing seconds didn't get written to the SD card prior to the crash and so were lost.
2017-3-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules