Firmware Update - Invalid Serial Number (Grounded)
6578 32 2017-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53340 ft
United Kingdom

I've received my Inspire 2 in January and never had to firmware update it until now. The DJI GO 4 iOS app had been updated. I also have an X5S but no SSD. I used the DJI Assistant 2 windows application to update the aircraft/camera and everything appeared to be normal. I then used the DJI Go 4 iOS app to update the controller. Again.. flawless. I then did an indoor ground check and found that I could move the gimbal and everything 'seemed' ok. I ignored the "cannot takeoff" message because.. i was indoors and had no intention of winding up the motors or mounting the props. Then yesterday I prepped everything to fly, noticed the "cannot takeoff" and clicked on it at which point it says "Invalid serial number".

Since that point I've refreshed the firmware maybe 10 times. It seems remarkably quick in doing so (2mins 30secs) to update. The very first time took 8mins 40 secs. I've tried with and without the SD Card. There seems no way of 'refreshing' the controller firmware. I've deleted the DJI GO 4 iOS app and downoaded it many times. I've tried another iOS device. No joy.

So, I'm grounded. I don't understand 1) what serial number? 2) aircraft, remote, camera? 3) why should a serial number prevent the aircraft flying

Above all, desperate for some help. Many thanks

Have attached two photos; 1 with all the version numbers and a second with the errors. The Air Encoder Error occurs when the X5S is not attached. Seems strange, but I'm ignoring it for now as it and the Restart message goes away when the X5S is mounted. The Invalid Serial Number persists irrespective of the X5S being mounted.

Edit. I've tried a new PC (laptop) that's never seen DJI Assistant before. Installed it. Connected it to the aircraft and did a firmware refresh. It took 8mins 40 secs to "Update" (ignoring Download and Transmitting phases). Second and subsequent times take the 2mins 30secs. Not sure why an update is shorter second time round.

Edit: Courtesy Dr Jon - To reload the Remote Controller.. [size=14.6667px]Press these four buttons on the remote controller at the same time, namely, C1, C2, Recording and the Scroll (that adjusts ISO), meanwhile, spare another finger to turn the remote controller on (don’t let the other four fingers go). You will now need to attach your mobile with internet connection and it should trigger a firmware update.[size=14.6667px]
[size=14.6667px]

[size=14.6667px]Edit: I've tried almost every permutation there is, multiple times, including loading firmware through the mobile. Same result. Invalid Serial Number. Incidently, I've checked that there's ink the printer, switched it off and on, paper in the tray.

Version/Serial numbers

Version/Serial numbers

Error Message

Error Message
2017-3-12
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Interesting response from support. The release notes say it's a one-way process, but support say not. However, DJI Assistant does not present any other firmware version.

Kevin Today at 15:02
Hello Dave,

Thank you for contacting DJI NL Technical Support.

For the error message of invalid serial number, the possible solution for this issue is to downgrade the firmware through DJI Assistant.

Best Regards,
Kevin
DJI Support
2017-3-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We've reported this case to our engineers as well, will get back to you once we hear from them, thanks for your feedback.
2017-3-13
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-3-13 07:20
Interesting response from support. The release notes say it's a one-way process, but support say not. However, DJI Assistant does not present any other firmware version.

Kevin Today at 15:02

In other circumstances, downgrading would be available. Due to the major changes in this current firmware, however, the downgrade option isn't available, I apologize for the misinformation. As far as refreshing the RC firmware, you should be able to press and hold the menu on the top right of the Equipment page for about 3-5 seconds and see the option to redownload and install the firmware.

If you've tried that and restored the unit to factory settings via the Assistant 2 without change, then it would be best to get this addressed via a repair service. Regarding the serial number, if if cannot read a valid SN, then it would not be able to record flight records or any internal flight data.
2017-3-13
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-13 18:04
We've reported this case to our engineers as well, will get back to you once we hear from them, thanks for your feedback.

Any update from the engineers ?
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-3-14 13:07
Any update from the engineers ?

It's still under progress, sorry about that, appreciate your patience.
2017-3-15
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 914711 ft
United States

Just curious but do you have the camera connected to the drone, I see  black image where the camera image should be.   Alot of people who either have no camera attached, or no formatted memory card in the drone receive that Air Encoder Error.

Just something to test.
2017-3-15
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United States

MadFrenchie Posted at 2017-3-15 03:42
Just curious but do you have the camera connected to the drone, I see  black image where the camera image should be.   Alot of people who either have no camera attached, or no formatted memory card in the drone receive that Air Encoder Error.

Just something to test.

I'm kind of ignoring the Air Encoder message in that.. as you point out.. it's a symptom of not having the camera there. When I mount the camera, *that* error disappears, but the Serial Number one remains. Thank you for looking though.. Willing to try anything at this point..
2017-3-15
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 914711 ft
United States

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-3-15 06:08
I'm kind of ignoring the Air Encoder message in that.. as you point out.. it's a symptom of not having the camera there. When I mount the camera, *that* error disappears, but the Serial Number one remains. Thank you for looking though.. Willing to try anything at this point..

Ahh crappy... well it was worth a shot!  haha   

I did a bit more research and didn't see anyone else having the same problem as you... If I find something I will share the information here.
2017-3-15
Use props
Gabriel78
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6606585 ft
  • >>>
Italy

DaveDotNet, I have exactly the same problem with "Invalid Serial Number" after firmware upgrade. I contacted DJI Support and they told me to reinstall DJI GO 4 app, restore factory settings, format sd card, calibrate imu, gimbal and remote but nothing. Error message is always there. I will ship back the drone to my dealer.

I have another problem with my X5S, I dont' know if it's firmware fault. On start it stays on roll side and didn't do calibration as usual when I switch drone on. It buzzes a little. I feel roll motor harder and braked then pitch and yaw one.

I have a PH4 and is very very reliable, hope this I2 will be the same when it will fly
2017-3-15
Use props
DJIFC_OT_DOG
DJI R&D Squad

Hong Kong

Hi, DaveDotNet,
If "Invalid serial number" still appears after restart IN2 several times, you can send it back to us.
2017-3-16
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJIFC_OT_DOG Posted at 2017-3-16 04:08
Hi, DaveDotNet,
If "Invalid serial number" still appears after restart IN2 several times, you can send it back to us.

WHat is it I'm sending back.. I'm reluctant to send it all back. Can I just send the aircraft ? Also, will you send me a UPS label
2017-3-16
Use props
Gabriel78
lvl.3
  • >>>
Italy

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-3-16 12:17
WHat is it I'm sending back.. I'm reluctant to send it all back. Can I just send the aircraft ? Also, will you send me a UPS label

I asked to open a DOA/RMA for my Inspire 2 but they didn't send me UPS label. Asked label several times but they told me to ship to their address. So I gave the aircraft to my dealer, they will care about ship to DJI NL.
If not what I do, I spend 200/300€ for a shipping plus insurance after buying a 6000€ drone that don't work?
2017-3-17
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-15 00:36
It's still under progress, sorry about that, appreciate your patience.

@DJI Natalia - Could you please organise a UPS and RMA for me. Thanks.
2017-3-17
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-3-17 05:43
@DJI Natalia - Could you please organise a UPS and RMA for me. Thanks.

Please contact support to get an RMA and shipping lable

UNITED STATES & CANADA
+1 (818) 235 0789
GERMANY

+49 (0) 9771-177 3000

Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 3:00PM (GMT+1)

Netherlands

+31 20 654 5202

Mon-Fri 10:00AM - 7:00PM (GMT+1)

United Kingdom

+44 2076603037

Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 6:00PM (GMT+0)

Mon-Fri 9:00AM - 5:00PM (PST)

2017-3-17
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Just for anyone else... I spoke to the support desk and they refer you to the web site. So skip that part. The RMA process is self-service, so surf to

https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

and continue from there. It's a little obtuse in areas and I've clicked boxes for the sake of it. But I have a CASe number, and hopefully a UPS label on the way to my email. There's even a class of problem for "Firmware Upgrade Failure".

It's a sad day :-( to have to send it back and possibly not see *my* inspire/camera come back.
2017-3-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-3-17 09:29
Just for anyone else... I spoke to the support desk and they refer you to the web site. So skip that part. The RMA process is self-service, so surf to

https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

You will receive the shipping label within 1 to 2 business days, please let me know your case number so I can help you follow up it, thanks.
2017-3-19
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I see Best Buy may sell the Inspire 2 soon on their website, but without a camera which may be an optional purchase.

If true, I hope DJI gets the Encoder Error/Serial Number error fixed soon or else Best Buy will be getting a lot of returned Inspire 2's back as DOA for those errors if it occurs with no camera attached.

2017-3-19
Use props
DECinHSV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14255190 ft
  • >>>
United States

let us know if you get someone at DJI that actually cares about the issue . . . we all need to know there is atleast one that does !
2017-3-22
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DECinHSV Posted at 2017-3-22 14:41
let us know if you get someone at DJI that actually cares about the issue . . . we all need to know there is atleast one that does !

Thanks for the thought. Will definitely update this thread when I have an "outcome", until then will be fairly 'silent' on the matter.
2017-3-23
Use props
Gabriel78
lvl.3
  • >>>
Italy

I just received my Inspire 2 after a "Invalid Serial Number" error. They replaced aircraft and gave me a brand new unit. Had first flight today and all was good. Positive and fast experience with DJI assistance.
2017-4-7
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Gabriel78 Posted at 2017-4-7 11:59
I just received my Inspire 2 after a "Invalid Serial Number" error. They replaced aircraft and gave me a brand new unit. Had first flight today and all was good. Positive and fast experience with DJI assistance.

This is good news and thank you for posting some positive information. DJI is trying to support everyone as best they can.

Rich
2017-4-7
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-4-7 21:12
This is good news and thank you for posting some positive information. DJI is trying to support everyone as best they can.

Rich

I'm not having such a good experience with my "Invalid serial number". My aircraft has been gone 5 weeks and has been 'repaired' with a new flight controller. There's promises of it being returned.
2017-4-20
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-4-20 12:04
I'm not having such a good experience with my "Invalid serial number". My aircraft has been gone 5 weeks and has been 'repaired' with a new flight controller. There's promises of it being returned.

Sorry Dave

What are you currently doing to get some help?  Did you call or email them for some status information?  Has any of the moderators gotten your case ID to help you out?   

Don't give up on DJI yet

Rich
2017-4-20
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United States

I'm in a despondent mind set right now. Two machines (mine and @Gabriel78) with exactly the same issue, presumably both going to DJI Netherlands. One gets repaired and one gets replaced with new. It's the inconsistency I find difficult to understand. Functionally, one might argue the result is the same, and who's to say which is better. I don't have mine back so can't make a judgement on the 'repair' outcome. What I hadn't disclosed about my 'repair is that I was advised by my supplier (Wex Photographic) to send it back to them as they would be able to promptly resolve the issue through their repair centre. I did so. They then sent it to RC Geeks, the only approved DJI repair centre in the UK. Unfortunately, and unbeknownst to me, RC Geeks are unable to repair/test any aspect of Inspire 2's and promptly sent it to DJI Netherlands. Had I known, I could have sent it there myself.  It sat on the DJI shelf for at least 2 weeks. The whole process has been very opaque.
2017-4-20
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

My Inspire 2 has made it back. The journey being me -> wex -> RC Geeks -> DJI -> RC Geeks -> Wex -> me. I don't believe RC Geeks understood at anytime what was happening. From what I can glean, DJI took 8 days before replacing it (different serial numbers) and sending it back. I can imagine that mine took a back seat whilst everyone escalated their cases through the forum DJI staff :-)
I also have the challenge of getting my Care Refresh changed because that's attached to some other aircraft now.

After 5 weeks, I'm just glad to see the bird back. The batteries are charging and I'll power it all up shortly to understand what state it's all in.
2017-4-22
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-4-22 00:53
My Inspire 2 has made it back. The journey being me -> wex -> RC Geeks -> DJI -> RC Geeks -> Wex -> me. I don't believe RC Geeks understood at anytime what was happening. From what I can glean, DJI took 8 days before replacing it (different serial numbers) and sending it back. I can imagine that mine took a back seat whilst everyone escalated their cases through the forum DJI staff :-)
I also have the challenge of getting my Care Refresh changed because that's attached to some other aircraft now.

I receive your message and replied you there, will help you get it done soon.
Nice to hear you got it back, hope you have a great time on flying the drone.
2017-4-22
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great news Dave - hopefully all will go smoothly from this point on!  
Allan
2017-4-22
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

@Allan, Maybe my luck is in.. as I've even upgraded to 330 ... without a problem! Just off out flying now for a real test (other than the back garden). DJI Natalia is taking care of the Refresh and changing aircraft serial numbers..
2017-4-22
Use props
fansbc4d66f0
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi there. Has there been any progress on this issue? Quick fix? Or do we have to send them back?  I've just updated to 330 and now I have an 'Invalid Serial Number' paper weight.
2017-6-16
Use props
DaveDotNet
lvl.3
United Kingdom

There's nothing that can be done. It will have to go back. No amount of resetting/restoring will help. Record all serial numbers and aircraft condition before sending it back.

My aircraft was not repaired but replaced. I was fortunate to receive a pristine model. Best of luck.
2017-6-17
Use props
Nods
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DaveDotNet Posted at 2017-6-17 14:17
There's nothing that can be done. It will have to go back. No amount of resetting/restoring will help. Record all serial numbers and aircraft condition before sending it back.

My aircraft was not repaired but replaced. I was fortunate to receive a pristine model. Best of luck.

Thank you. Just talked to DJI Support today and they're saying 15 working days without my main income earner just because I updated their firmware as recommended.  They even suggested that I might have to pay for the privilege. Infuriating.
2017-7-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Nods Posted at 2017-7-19 07:08
Thank you. Just talked to DJI Support today and they're saying 15 working days without my main income earner just because I updated their firmware as recommended.  They even suggested that I might have to pay for the privilege. Infuriating.

We sincerely apologize for the trouble caused, the drone must be sent in for evaluation and repair. Please contact our support to create a ticket, we's sorry again for the inconvenience.
2017-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules