Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
video from latest dlog update
690 7 2017-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ely324
lvl.3
Flight distance : 904888 ft
United States

The clouds in the upper left of the frame have this weird stutter effect. I can't understand why this is happening as the rest of the video seems to be playing back smoothly. Any insight into why this is happening is appreciated.

2017-3-12
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

You sure do have some weird clouds over yonder. Way different to my clouds.  Does seem not right, not right.

2017-3-12
Use props
Ely324
lvl.3
United States

Very nice clouds you have, great perspective.

Now If I could just get mine to playback smoothly
2017-3-12
Use props
freelanderuk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 177720 ft
United Kingdom

Looked as though it was the propeller to me
2017-3-12
Use props
Fruxen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

It's an artifact from the video compression in this particular scene.

The camera doesn't save every frame to the SD card, it takes snapshots called I-frames a few times every second, and then interpolate the motions in pixel blocks between these frames. To optimize the compression, the scene is split up into visible High priority objects with high contrast that are updated at a higher rate and accuracy, and Low priority objects and areas with lower contrast and visibility that are updated just a few times every second. It's a trick to squeeze as much as possible into the data bitrate by fooling the eye. Usually it works, sometimes the result looks wierd with areas that appear to be floating.

The thing that is happening in this scene is that the compression codec focus on the high amount of high contrast details that are moving from left to right. It tries to guess that the lower contrast clouds that are not following this motion won't be noticed as much and gives them a Low priority, and updates them less frequently than other objects.

This is why I advice against shooting in the very flat D-log as the low contrast is difficult for the video compression to work with. It work well on other cameras, but IMO not in the 60 Mbit/s bitrate mode in the Phantoms. In this scene a setting closer to "None" with more even amount of contrast and details might have worked better.

2017-3-12
Use props
Ely324
lvl.3
United States

freelanderuk Posted at 2017-3-12 10:46
Looked as though it was the propeller to me

yes the propeller enters the frame for a short bit, but what I am referring to is the cloud movement. It is not smooth and very jumpy in comparison to other moving objects in the frame. Trees, cars, anything moving across the frame doesn't have that same jump.
2017-3-13
Use props
Ely324
lvl.3
United States

Fruxen Posted at 2017-3-12 12:53
It's an artifact from the video compression in this particular scene.

The camera doesn't save every frame to the SD card, it takes snapshots called I-frames a few times every second, and then interpolate the motions in pixel blocks between these frames. To optimize the compression, the scene is split up into visible High priority objects with high contrast that are updated at a higher rate and accuracy, and Low priority objects and areas with lower contrast and visibility that are updated just a few times every second. It's a trick to squeeze as much as possible into the data bitrate by fooling the eye. Usually it works, sometimes the result looks wierd with areas that appear to be floating.

Thank you for taking the time to explain and share the knowledge.
2017-3-13
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19928 ft
United States

Honestly, looks like you used a green screen and had the clouds added in as a fixed backdrop in post.

I am NOT saying you did that, but that is basically the effect you ended up with.
2017-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules