Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
SLR Magic 8mm Test - Amazing
4117 21 2017-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flighttime1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

So I jumped on the SLR Magic 8mm 4/3 beta testing offer and I can't be more pleased. The distortion level is just slightly higher than the Olympus 12mm. The clarity/sharpness is IMHO, slightly better than the 12mm. It's a fully manual lens so that does cause some issues with the DJI Go app and obviously requires a bit more work on the operator's part but I'm pretty comfidant this is the lens I'm been looking for. Oh yeah.... With a price of $350, the bang for your buck is unbeatable.
This clip is the first test with the lens. There is no cropping or other editing beyond some very minor color grading in AE.

2017-3-12
Use props
Gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

Interesting, It looks good... but I think im going to hold out for the Laowa 7.5mm f/2. Im waiting mainly because the lens will serve well on the GH5 for interior video (F/2)
Thanks for sharing.. I do like the ability to lock the focus tho. maybe ill get both
2017-3-12
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
United States

And here is the final version...

2017-3-22
Use props
Donnie *
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2017-3-22 23:16
And here is the final version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOZ7NHSldxo

Well dont flightime1 I would expect no less than perfection form you anyways my friend .

donnie
2017-3-23
Use props
Natureshooter
lvl.1
United States

Does the lens flare not drive you crazy?  My X5S with stock 15 lens is terrible with lens flare.  If the sun is in the shot AT ALL there is the floating green glob all over my shot.  Wish they had truly coated these lenses well.
2017-3-23
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
United States

Natureshooter Posted at 2017-3-23 08:28
Does the lens flare not drive you crazy?  My X5S with stock 15 lens is terrible with lens flare.  If the sun is in the shot AT ALL there is the floating green glob all over my shot.  Wish they had truly coated these lenses well.

Even the best lens made will give you flare if the sun is in the frame.
2017-3-23
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any balancing rings needed?
2017-3-26
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
United States

mixchief Posted at 2017-3-26 18:47
Any balancing rings needed?

The simple answer is, yes. They sell an 'Image Enhancer' with the lens that is basically a UV filter and also expands the filter thread to 52mm. You still need to add a bit of weight for a proper balance. I sanded down a lens hood to almost nothing and that worked perfectly but I've also ordered a 52mm ND that you'll need for any video work. I really wish they would sell their Image Enhancer with an ND also.
2017-3-26
Use props
Bando Works
lvl.2
Flight distance : 253704 ft
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2017-3-26 21:58
The simple answer is, yes. They sell an 'Image Enhancer' with the lens that is basically a UV filter and also expands the filter thread to 52mm. You still need to add a bit of weight for a proper balance. I sanded down a lens hood to almost nothing and that worked perfectly but I've also ordered a 52mm ND that you'll need for any video work. I really wish they would sell their Image Enhancer with an ND also.

Looks great!  If this lens opened up to an F2 it would be a great competitor to the Laowa 7.5mm.  Thanks for sharing.  
2017-3-26
Use props
Bando Works
lvl.2
Flight distance : 253704 ft
United States

Gybo102 Posted at 2017-3-12 11:21
Interesting, It looks good... but I think im going to hold out for the Laowa 7.5mm f/2. Im waiting mainly because the lens will serve well on the GH5 for interior video (F/2)
Thanks for sharing.. I do like the ability to lock the focus tho. maybe ill get both

Agreed.  Can't wait for that lens to be released!  
2017-3-26
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2017-3-26 21:58

It would make sense, I'm surprised, B&H has it advertised as specifically made for drone mounted cameras, why don't they supply the proper weight either filters or rings, I don't necessarily mean free
2017-3-27
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
United States

mixchief Posted at 2017-3-27 20:37
It would make sense, I'm surprised, B&H has it advertised as specifically made for drone mounted cameras, why don't they supply the proper weight either filters or rings, I don't necessarily mean free

Mixchief... It works on any MFT camera so it wouldn't make sense to include a balance ring for just the Inspire really. As much as we would like to think otherwise, there are other options for taking pictures while aloft. lol
2017-3-27
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2017-3-27 21:56
Mixchief... It works on any MFT camera so it wouldn't make sense to include a balance ring for just the Inspire really. As much as we would like to think otherwise, there are other options for taking pictures while aloft. lol

by supply I meant make available, so we don't have to go hunting for possible solutions
2017-3-27
Use props
tbruegg
lvl.2
Switzerland

Hi flighttime1. I got the 8mm today and tried it on our inspire1 x5R and Osmo. Our SSD wont initialize when the lens is on, how did you get passed that?

Thanks, Thomas
2017-4-6
Use props
fansba3b7009
lvl.4
Flight distance : 314908 ft
  • >>>
Austria

turn on with  a supported lens first, then hot swap them
2017-4-7
Use props
tbruegg
lvl.2
Switzerland

o.k. thanks, will try. One more Workaround DJI style......

Thomas
2017-4-7
Use props
Upthedowns
lvl.3
Flight distance : 288353 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just picked up one of thee lenses this week.  Can't wait to get it home (UK) and on the Inspire but in the meantime have been doing some urban shooting around NYC on my Olympus OM-D.  Great little lens - looks cute and 1940/50's style too!
2017-4-14
Use props
Natureshooter
lvl.1
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2017-3-23 20:39
Even the best lens made will give you flare if the sun is in the frame.

Simply not true.  I am a professional photographer and I can shoot with the sun in the frame with Nikon nano coated lenses and not get flare unless it is directly into the barrel.  That is one of the reasons they coat these lenses with coatings like the nano coating.
2017-4-26
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
United States

Natureshooter Posted at 2017-4-26 07:35
Simply not true.  I am a professional photographer and I can shoot with the sun in the frame with Nikon nano coated lenses and not get flare unless it is directly into the barrel.  That is one of the reasons they coat these lenses with coatings like the nano coating.

I haven't shot with a Nikon lens in about 20 years, so I can't comment on them. I don't think I said anything at all about coatings. Obviously they work to varying degrees but they can only reduce flare. They don't solve the problem completely. I stand by my statement.

PS... A lot of us are professional photographers.
2017-4-26
Use props
noflyzone69
Second Officer
Flight distance : 240361 ft
  • >>>
United States

flighttime1 Posted at 2017-4-26 21:29
I haven't shot with a Nikon lens in about 20 years, so I can't comment on them. I don't think I said anything at all about coatings. Obviously they work to varying degrees but they can only reduce flare. They don't solve the problem completely. I stand by my statement.

PS... A lot of us are professional photographers.

Hi
I have a question I just got the SLR Magic 8mm from B&H for my x5 I also ordered the 52mm uv. Is the filter all I need to add correct? it has the step up ring on it and from all the videos thats all thats needed or am i missing somthing ?
2018-3-14
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
United States

noflyzone69 Posted at 2018-3-14 16:14
Hi
I have a question I just got the SLR Magic 8mm from B&H for my x5 I also ordered the 52mm uv. Is the filter all I need to add correct? it has the step up ring on it and from all the videos thats all thats needed or am i missing somthing ?

Nofly... I'm not sure what you're asking. Is that all you need to accomplish what? If you are talking about balancing the lens, then I can't answer because different filters have different weights. If the lens balances when it's on the camera, you're good.
2018-3-14
Use props
Morrisson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansba3b7009 Posted at 2017-4-7 01:04
turn on with  a supported lens first, then hot swap them

I (surprisingly) just got around to flying with this 8mm this morning and I ran in to the "no video" option. Thanks for figuring this out and posting it. I'll be using it again later today!
2020-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules