Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Two DEAD P4 batteries and One hangs at ONE LED
1449 19 2017-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joejinky
lvl.1

United States

What gives?  I bought two P4 drones. Some friends came to visit, and we flew them without incident.  I put them in their cases and retrieved them a few weeks later.  Now two of the batteries are completely DEAD, and one of the batteries flashes only ONE LED and will not charge.

I have six batteries.  The other three behave normally (for now), but $300.00 is a lot of money to waste on batteries that cost something in the neighborhood of $4.00 per HOUR to use!

I bought some of them from Best Buy when I purchased P4 #1 and some from DJI when I purchased the second P4.

I know they have some "brain" on them.  Is there a way to do a factory reset or something, to slap these things into submission, or do I toss them?!?

Frustrated beyond belief

Joe

2017-3-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

If they are faulty, Return them for exchange. No need to fret about it...

No fault of yours.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-12
Use props
joejinky
lvl.1

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-12 16:00
If they are faulty, Return them for exchange. No need to fret about it...

No fault of yours.

Yeah, IF I can dig up the receipts I will do that.  
2017-3-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

joejinky Posted at 2017-3-12 16:03

You might be able to contact the dealer, and have them send you copies of your receipts.

I hope that you find them, or get copies, as you should not be left with dead flight packs, after paying for worthy ones.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-12
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19928 ft
United States

Did you store them in an empty state?

From everything I have gathered, that is the LAST thing you ever want to do.  You want them to charge to AT LEAST 50%, then store them like that.

If you deplete them, you can't just store them away until you feel like charging them and then expect them to perform.  And this is nothing new, almost all rechargeable batteries for just about everything have always been known to be damaged if you leave them in a discharged state for even a short period of time.

So if you left them discharged for a few weeks, you killed them.  It is improper maintenance.  Like running an engine without oil, you have to expect damage.

If they are still in warranty, then you may be lucky to swap them out.  But to blame DJI for your own foolishness isn't proper either.
2017-3-12
Use props
joejinky
lvl.1

United States

Brian Fist Posted at 2017-3-12 18:37
Did you store them in an empty state?

From everything I have gathered, that is the LAST thing you ever want to do.  You want them to charge to AT LEAST 50%, then store them like that.

I am 58. I know about not storing depleted rechargeable batteries.  We pulled them from the drones and went to dinner.  We then hooked them to the chargers two hours after the flights, with the intent to fly again the following morning.  Three of them would not recharge.
2017-3-12
Use props
Brian Fist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 19928 ft
United States

Ok, that does not make sense...

You stated in your first post you put them in their cases and then a few weeks later retrieved them and NOW they would not charge.

In your next post you are saying that you know better, and that you drained the batteries completely, left them for two hours, then tried to charge them and they won't charge.

Two TOTALLY different stories.  Which one is it???

Sorry, I smell BS here, and again you are NEVER to discharge a Li-Po to nothing.  They, of all rechargeables, can not take a complete and total discharge.

But regardless, I think it is established that you didn't do something right here, either leaving them for far too long or draining them improperly.

Also, for someone who says they are 58, you sure sound like someone who is 28 more than someone who is mature.  Your postings do not match up and your tone is far from someone looking for assistance and more like someone throwing a temper tantrum because they screwed up.
2017-3-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

It seems the batteries were not stored properly.
For battery maintenance, please check the details here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... %8B%B1%E6%96%87.pdf
Here is a tutorial for your reference as well:
2017-3-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-12 23:45
It seems the batteries were not stored properly.
For battery maintenance, please check the details here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_4/en/Phantom+4%E7%B3%BB%E5%88%97%E6%99%BA%E8%83%BD%E9%A3%9E%E8%A1%8C%E7%94%B5%E6%B1%A0%E5%AE%89%E5%85%A8%E4%BD%BF%E7%94%A8%E6%8C%87%E5%BC%95-%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87.pdf
Here is a tutorial for your reference as well:

Wouldn't you folks have the ability to run diagnostics on them flight packs to know for sure?

Seems like conclusions are being jumped to, without proper info...

RedHotPoker
2017-3-13
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753163 ft
United States

did you have the settings set up so the battier discharges within a certain amount of days??
2017-3-13
Use props
joejinky
lvl.1

United States

Brian Fist Posted at 2017-3-12 21:21
Ok, that does not make sense...

You stated in your first post you put them in their cases and then a few weeks later retrieved them and NOW they would not charge.

Brian Fist - WTF?!   I did take them out recently to try ONCE AGAIN to recharge them, after giving up on them after SEVERAL failed attempts to recharge them in the days and weeks immediately following the flights over the past two months, including a few tries AGAIN in recent weeks, including the first attempt two hours after I allowed them to cool down PER THE INSTRUCTIONS.  I thought that maybe by them having some small charge, the built in brain might be confused about the condition, and so after the unsuccessful recharge FIRST attempted two hours after the flight, and AGAIN the following day, and several more times since then, I repeatedly removed them from the chargers and waited until the batteries drained over a 10-day period as I had set them to do.  10 days plus 10 days plus 10 days ... It was OBVIOUS that they were not going to charge in the state they were in shortly after removing them from the drones, or at any time since.

I did not drain them completely during the flight.  We stopped flying when the batteries ... ALL SIX BATTERIES were at about 14-15%.  I didn't want to go hiking through the trees of Kentucky looking for lost drones crashed by new pilots, so we stayed out over the open crop fields and brought them back with 15% battery life to spare (according to the displays on the iPads.)  I removed them to allow them to cool down before charging PER THE INSTRUCTIONS, and when we plugged them in to charge them after dinner, the lights flashed as normal.  Three of them charged up correctly, and these other three did not.  ONE of them dropped to one flashing LED and remains there even now.  The other two dropped off completely and show no signs of life.  No LEDs.  NO response when inserted into a drone.  It isn't the chargers, because the other three batteries charged up just fine, and even yesterday, after not using the drones for nearly two months, the other three batteries charged up JUST FINE.  I have flown those three batteries again, and recharged them just fine.  Now they are in the case ... discharging over 10 days as I set them to do.

Take your F-ing attitude and shove it, jerk!  You smell B.S.?  Do YOU warrant these batteries?  According to this forum, you are a "beginner" just like me.  I am not accountable to YOU for my actions.  I do not OWE you answers or explanations.

I'm sorry I didn't type out a blow-by-blow description of every single thing that took place since I flew the drones back in October.  Do you want to know when I last scratched my balls too?  Did I ere in doing that BEFORE I charged the batteries, instead of afterward?  Perhaps we are required to recharge the batteries BEFORE we scratch our balls, and I just didn't follow protocol?!   I followed the directions for stopping the flights, allowing the batteries to cool down, and then they FAILED to recharge.  They failed that evening, the following morning, and EVERY TIME I have attempted to recharge them since.

LIFE gets in the way when you have responsibilities.  Perhaps YOU can sit in your mother's basement and watch a clock so you recharge your batteries at the optimal time, but I did my best to follow the directions, as time allowed, and three of the SIX NEW BATTERIES which all charged up correctly when we launched the drones,  FAILED to recharge.

I was looking for suggestions, perhaps some troubleshooting procedure I could do to find out WHY the batteries were only good for ONE DAY OF FLYING.  I am wondering why DJI did not install some reset of the brain in the battery, so it could then measure the current charge and either drain according to the 10-day plan, or allow a recharge.  Maybe a cradle that plugs into a computer via USB, so it could "talk" to the battery brain and correct the error.   That would be nice.

Don't talk to me about maturity.  You are the one shooting off your mouth without knowing the facts, AS IF you have anything useful to contribute to this thread.  So far, you have offered nothing but your EGO and your smarmy attitude.  That, and fifty cents will buy you a cup of coffee.

Maybe someone from DJI will read this and respond.  It was the weekend (DJI was CLOSED) when I posted something here to try to get an answer from someone who is knowledgeable about this situation, not an ATTITUDE from YOU.

Now that it is Monday, I will contact them and take the necessary steps to repair or replace the three bad batteries.  Communicating with other drone owners on this forum is an obvious waste of time, as you have so aptly demonstrated.
2017-3-13
Use props
Rich146
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197680 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Did you charge them around 50% for storage? You are supposed to do this. If not then youve potentially made an expensive mistake
2017-3-13
Use props
joejinky
lvl.1

United States

I followed the directions for all six batteries.  Three of them recharged just fine and work perfectly even today.  The other three do not.

Why would DJI make a battery with a HAL-9000 computer built into it?!

Regardless of how they were stored, there should be SOME WAY to reset the brain, then recharge ... or drain and recharge the battery, or otherwise correct the error condition.  If DJI built a $100 battery that craps out when you grab it with the wrong finger, then these drones aren't worth owning.

http://youtu.be/ARJ8cAGm6JE

I followed the directions.  One of the pilots IS a pilot, and an A&P mechanic for FedEx.  The other is a professional photographer.  I am retired.  We READ the directions and made sure we followed them to the letter.  At the end of the next day, it was evident that three of the batteries which were flown for the FIRST TIME, would not recharge.

We are three grown men in our late 50s and early 60s.  We are not three smart-ass punks who stare at our smart phones.  THE BATTERIES FAILED.

2017-3-13
Use props
joejinky
lvl.1

United States

Rich146 Posted at 2017-3-13 05:09
Did you charge them around 50% for storage? You are supposed to do this. If not then youve potentially made an expensive mistake

After a full charge and flying them down to 15% with no issues, they would not recharge for storage.  They only dwindled down and died.  I know ... "Recharge them to store them."  Well, when they WON'T recharge for storage, is that on me?

Joe

2017-3-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Joe, we do suggest you to send in the batteries (please make sure they're safe for shipping), our engineers will evaluate them for you and let you know the reason why they stop working.
2017-3-13
Use props
Flycap
lvl.1
Flight distance : 149843 ft
United States

Joe, I had the same issue with one flashing LED and would not charge on a brand new out of the box. It happens. Swapped it out for a replacement and all is well. I didn't really care why it was bad, it was bad.
2017-3-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

joejinky Posted at 2017-3-13 04:56
Brian Fist - WTF?!   I did take them out recently to try ONCE AGAIN to recharge them, after giving up on them after SEVERAL failed attempts to recharge them in the days and weeks immediately following the flights over the past two months, including a few tries AGAIN in recent weeks, including the first attempt two hours after I allowed them to cool down PER THE INSTRUCTIONS.  I thought that maybe by them having some small charge, the built in brain might be confused about the condition, and so after the unsuccessful recharge FIRST attempted two hours after the flight, and AGAIN the following day, and several more times since then, I repeatedly removed them from the chargers and waited until the batteries drained over a 10-day period as I had set them to do.  10 days plus 10 days plus 10 days ... It was OBVIOUS that they were not going to charge in the state they were in shortly after removing them from the drones, or at any time since.

I did not drain them completely during the flight.  We stopped flying when the batteries ... ALL SIX BATTERIES were at about 14-15%.  I didn't want to go hiking through the trees of Kentucky looking for lost drones crashed by new pilots, so we stayed out over the open crop fields and brought them back with 15% battery life to spare (according to the displays on the iPads.)  I removed them to allow them to cool down before charging PER THE INSTRUCTIONS, and when we plugged them in to charge them after dinner, the lights flashed as normal.  Three of them charged up correctly, and these other three did not.  ONE of them dropped to one flashing LED and remains there even now.  The other two dropped off completely and show no signs of life.  No LEDs.  NO response when inserted into a drone.  It isn't the chargers, because the other three batteries charged up just fine, and even yesterday, after not using the drones for nearly two months, the other three batteries charged up JUST FINE.  I have flown those three batteries again, and recharged them just fine.  Now they are in the case ... discharging over 10 days as I set them to do.

Joejinky, I was dissapointed and sorry to read your reply here, while quite obviously being In a funk over this.
But you have been recommended to just send them packs in, and once they are analyzed you will hopefully be reimbursed with three new batteries, that will have been tested, before them being sent back to you.  So, I am going to be hopeful for your positive outcome from this.  
I know and fully understand how frustrated and upset you must be, as three flight packs are not cheap to buy. Let's keep our fingers crossed that the shipping of the new intelligent flight packs doesn't take too awfully long, and that you will be completely satisfied once you are using them. Just as was expected when you originally bought them.  
Please report back the outcome of this, once you have been notified. Thanks and good luck. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-14
Use props
Wolfy Aerial In
New

United States

joejinky Posted at 2017-3-12 16:03

Best buy should have your reciepts on file, thru your email address or phone number
2017-3-14
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

If you had issues with new batteries, then send them back to where you bought them from. It is as simple as that. I have to agree with someone else's view, that you are full of it. Causing this much drama for something that can easily be taken care of is ridiculous.
2017-3-14
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

Wolfy Aerial In Posted at 2017-3-14 06:06
Best buy should have your reciepts on file, thru your email address or phone number

That, or they can just use the credit card you used to find your order. I find it hard to believe that he doesn't know that already.
2017-3-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules