Hover at exact GPS coordinates repeatedly?
1181 6 2017-3-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99117 ft
United States

I would like to know if there is a way to repeatedly return the aircraft to exact GPS coordinates at a specific altitude after changing batteries.
Tonight was the full moon and I had plans to go to a nearby windmill farm  and do a time lapse of the windmills with a full moon rising behind  them. Is there a way to position the aircraft and somehow mark it's exact GPS coordinates and altitude while filming? Then when the battery is low bring it down for a quick battery change and return it to the same spot?

It sucks because a snow storm is coming in and the cloud cover is  showing up just in time to ruin that. I can't film it this time but would like to know if there's a way to do this to get a longer time lapse.
Will have to try it again next  month :-( If it takes me all summer I have to film this. The timing  has to be right, no clouds, full moon, and winds calm enough to hover in  place to get the time lapse steady.
2017-3-12
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Set up a waypoints mission and save it. You can fly it over and over again with remarkable accuracy.
Key is to set many points. They only need to be 5 meters apart.
Even a change in altitude can be another point.
2017-3-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

As Aeromirage says, the only thing you can do is set up a set of waypoints. But even though the GPS receiver in the aircraft is quite good, it may not go back to the same position with any degree of accuracy. And altitude is a barometric reading, so it could be out too. However, if your shot is sufficiently wide, and you are high enough, the image will be fairly close, and you can use image matching to overlay it more exactly.
2017-3-12
Use props
E.T._Drone_Home
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99117 ft
United States

Thanks guys. You can set waypoints in DJI Go4? Or is this a Litchi feature?
2017-3-12
Use props
Charles Whitema
lvl.2
Flight distance : 923114 ft
United Kingdom

I have done this lots of times, with my P3 Advanced and Litchi, and it's a very useful thing to be able to do - pre-planned way-points.  However, with the PRO+ I can't use Litchi and DJI have failed to supply the customers who paid the most with GSP.  I believe you can still setup a waypoint, but you have to fly it first.
2017-3-12
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Charles Whitema Posted at 2017-3-12 19:06
I have done this lots of times, with my P3 Advanced and Litchi, and it's a very useful thing to be able to do - pre-planned way-points.  However, with the PRO+ I can't use Litchi and DJI have failed to supply the customers who paid the most with GSP.  I believe you can still setup a waypoint, but you have to fly it first.

Correct, and you can then save that waypoint for later use.
2017-3-12
Use props
CCrew
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41568 ft
United States

E.T._Drone_Home Posted at 2017-3-12 18:53
Thanks guys. You can set waypoints in DJI Go4? Or is this a Litchi feature?

You can also use DJI's Ground Control app to set, don't have to have Litchi.
2017-3-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules