Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Being Harassed
12Next >
2212 65 2017-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yesterday I went out to enjoy my sunday evening after the wife and kids left the house. I wanted to get some nice sunset shots, so I drove to my favorite spot away from people and also legal to fly.

20 seconds after I take off.. I see a car parking right next to me (this is a completely empty parking lot). A woman gets out of the passenger side, late 30s...

"I just want to let you know I really.. really do not like drones and when you fly over us constantly like that I feel like it's a violation of my privacy" "My kids and I were trying to have a picnic when you drone kept buzzing over our heads"

I'm sorry.. what? I just took off lady... and what privacy?

Long story short, I shut her down by explaining that I never even flew over the park, near any people. I had just arrived and was flying nice and high at 400ft to get sunset shots, I had evidence.. and also pointed out that while she was complaining about being harassed by this drone.. I was the one being harassed while I was trying to enjoy a relaxing sunday evening. She seemed softer.. and apologetic when leaving.. after 7-8 mins of arguing. Meanwhile.. the mavic was still hovering above.. and missed the shot I wanted.

rant on...

This is not the first time I've been harassed, and my anger is now slowly shifting from people like this.. to the real cause: irresponsible, ignoramus drone pilots. Who was the operator flying low above people over the picnic area? I will never know, but if you do the following:

- fly *well above* 400ft
- fly low over people, or large crowds
- harass wildlife
- fly over large cities
- hover over or near homes (thanks to the recent numbnut.. whos Youtube video went viral this past week)

Do everyone a favor and sell your quad, because you're a cancer to this hobby. Thanks to people like you, we have countless laws limiting what we can do. We can't even fly in beautiful national parks.. because some ignorant oafs decided it was fun to harass park visitors and wildlife (lets not forget the bright one who crashed his drone into the yellowstone hot springs). Lastly.. thanks to irresponsible pilots like I mentioned above.. legit pilots feel criminal just by taking their quads out.

rant off
2017-3-13
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

I completely agree with you on most of your points, unfortunately this goes for any hobby, and even more unfortunately, you will always have the idiots who do not abide by regulations or basic common sense and make it alot harder for those of us who do to enjoy our quads to the fullest extent.  Another issue I think that the drone community can actually help with is educating these "crazy" people who act like were trying to see down their shirts as we fly above. I think if more people realized what these quads are used for and how people use them there wouldnt be such a paranoia around them... I can go to the park with a camera and take all the pictures I want with no complaints but its like as soon as you put that camera on something that flies its immediately a spy device, people just dont realise and alot of them are ignorant to what a "drone" is.

I've yet to have anyone come and harass me while im flying but I hope that when it eventually does happen I can help that person realise what this device actually does and that its not a "secret spy drone sent to record you"

2017-3-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

From your own account there's no indication that the pilot whose drone annoyed her did any of the things that you mentioned (flying too high, etc.), so I don't really see the connection between her unreasonable behavior towards you and lashing out at the folks who tend to do those things.
2017-3-13
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-13 09:00
From your own account there's no indication that the pilot whose drone annoyed her did any of the things that you mentioned (flying too high, etc.), so I don't really see the connection between her unreasonable behavior towards you and lashing out at the folks who tend to do those things.

maybe you missed "- fly low over people, or large crowds"
2017-3-13
Use props
Fiveform 2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 136230 ft
  • >>>
United States

Let's also not forget how any event, real or imagined, can be fuel for the nightly news, as drones are the new UFO's (but they can't regulate those...). Yes, we need to be responsible and represent our hobby - and profession for some of us - as responsible remote pilots who are on the forefront of a robotics and UAV revolution for us all...
2017-3-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-3-13 09:04
maybe you missed "- fly low over people, or large crowds"

There's neither any mention of flying low nor of flying over a crowd in the post unless you consider her and her kids to be a "large crowd". But maybe semantics isn't your thing.
2017-3-13
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-13 09:00

1- The park she was referring to is owned by a regional park district.. and drones are prohibited there. Whether or not he took off from there is irrelevant.

2- She indicated it was hovering low and was loud.. which I mentioned above "fly low over people, or large crowds"

In my opinion from that information alone, that pilot was irresponsible.
2017-3-13
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-3-13 08:49
I completely agree with you on most of your points, unfortunately this goes for any hobby, and even more unfortunately, you will always have the idiots who do not abide by regulations or basic common sense and make it alot harder for those of us who do to enjoy our quads to the fullest extent.  Another issue I think that the drone community can actually help with is educating these "crazy" people who act like were trying to see down their shirts as we fly above. I think if more people realized what these quads are used for and how people use them there wouldnt be such a paranoia around them... I can go to the park with a camera and take all the pictures I want with no complaints but its like as soon as you put that camera on something that flies its immediately a spy device, people just dont realise and alot of them are ignorant to what a "drone" is.

There is a large amount of ignorance, I took a few minutes of my time to show her what I see on the screen. I showed her that people looked like dots and you can't really "spy" on anyone, and the device is not intended for such use. I think people like this are imagining things from movies, like predator drones with infrared sensors zooming in and focusing on people.

At least there is now one less ignorant hater out there. So I agree with you there needs to be more education
2017-3-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Mir Posted at 2017-3-13 09:06
1- The park she was referring to is owned by a regional park district.. and drones are prohibited there. Whether or not he took off from there is irrelevant.

2- She indicated it was hovering low and was loud.. which I mentioned above "fly low over people, or large crowds"

1. The FAA's position is that regional parks don't get to dictate what happens in the national airspace. They probably can dictate whether you can physically be in the park when piloting, but they probably can't legally dictate whether you fly over it.

2. You didn't mention that it was flying low and loud in your original post. And what she considered "low" and "loud" may not have been the same that you or I would consider "low" and "loud", though of course we'll never know.
2017-3-13
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-3-13
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

i literally..literally...would have 100% ignored her. As in continued to fly while she yapped to the air.
She owns no part of the park, and there is ZERO expectation of privacy in a public park.
2017-3-13
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-3-13 09:27
i literally..literally...would have 100% ignored her. As in continued to fly while she yapped to the air.
She owns no part of the park, and there is ZERO expectation of privacy in a public park.

I think you found your awol drone pilot ^
2017-3-13
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I just wanted to enjoy my evening. She seemed like she was fuming. Ignore her? That would escalate the situation and she would linger longer. Instead formulate your defense and send them off regretting they even opened their mouths.
2017-3-13
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

She was probably mad because her kids were focused on the drone an want one for themselves. But she wont buy one for them.
2017-3-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Mir Posted at 2017-3-13 09:36
I just wanted to enjoy my evening. She seemed like she was fuming. Ignore her? That would escalate the situation and she would linger longer. Instead formulate your defense and send them off regretting they even opened their mouths.

The way you handled her demonstrated an admirable degree of patience. However, it's pretty clear that many people like her believe they're entitled not to be made uncomfortable by anyone flying a drone even when the pilot is fully compliant with FAA guidelines. Anyway, I'm glad you took the time to educate her.
2017-3-13
Use props
PimpDawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Public parks are for ALL to use and enjoy and so long as you're not breaking the law you have a right to use it just like her. Just because she doesn't like drones doesn't give her the right to chew your @$$ any more than you have to right to chew hers because they were eating hamburgers and you're a vegan.

2017-3-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Not really sure why people want to fly over parks, particularly on busy days, it's always going to cause friction, so you end up getting no peace they get no peace every one looses something, but so many new flyers out there now, this kind of stuff is going to keep cropping up, if someone is flying illegally then it's really up to those who apply the law and sufficient fines to try and outlaw this, but if your flying legally then your breaking no laws and you are untitled to enjoy your hobby or do your work without interference.

Yes everyone no matter what they are doing should always have respect for others and if you feel like your going to be a nuisance or you have a small feeling that what your doing may not be the right thing to be doing. Just don't do it..
2017-3-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-13 09:55
Not really sure why people want to fly over parks, particularly on busy days, it's always going to cause friction, so you end up getting no peace they get no peace every one looses something, but so many new flyers out there now, this kind of stuff is going to keep cropping up, if someone is flying illegally then it's really up to those who apply the law and sufficient fines to try and outlaw this, but if your flying legally then your breaking no laws and you are untitled to enjoy your hobby or do your work without interference.

Yes everyone no matter what they are doing should always have respect for others and if you feel like your going to be a nuisance or you have a small feeling that what your doing may not be the right thing to be doing. Just don't do it..

Not really sure why people want to fly over parks

For many people in urban and suburban areas parks are the safest -- and often the most legal -- places to fly. I suspect that the kind of "parks" that you're accustomed to are very different from most of the ones near me, which mostly are just large grassy areas that typically have no occupants at all.

if you feel like your going to be a nuisance or you have a small feeling that what your doing may not be the right thing to be doing. Just don't do it.

Do you really give veto power over your activities to everyone around you who might be offended? I doubt that, but in any case, I don't think that's a good idea and won't be doing it myself.
2017-3-13
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-13 10:02

For many people in urban and suburban areas parks are the safest -- and often the most legal -- places to fly.

Some people have respect for others and some dont... to each his own. I completely agree with Hallmark and I have a feeling he doesn't have many issues of people yelling at him while he is flying because he shows people the same respect that he expects to be given... its not really about being right or wrong. I live in a large city and there are plenty of places to fly without being around a large population of people. Empty sport fields are a great example
2017-3-13
Use props
SteveDickin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I nearly made the same post yesterday as I was approached by two people in a similar fashion swearing at me for buzzing over them.  I was in a field next to a river and taking in the sights with the Mavic.  The guy even advised me that if I fly over again he would shoot my drone down.  This is the UK, we don't generally hear people talking about guns, its quite a fright.  They were in a boat on the river and confronted me because I invaded their privacy, I was constantly asked what if they were naked.

I have the conversation on the iPad as it now records.

Today I considered going to the police regarding the gun threat.

It makes you think is this hobby really worth the hassle?
2017-3-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-3-13 10:04
Some people have respect for others and some dont... to each his own. I completely agree with Hallmark and I have a feeling he doesn't have many issues of people yelling at him while he is flying because he shows people the same respect that he expects to be given... its not really about being right or wrong. I live in a large city and there are plenty of places to fly without being around a large population of people. Empty sport fields are a great example

Respect is fine, but it's also a two-way street, and the woman who attacked the OP needed to respect his rights. Obedience to strangers who react emotionally and who try to police legal behaviors they dislike is not the same as showing respect.
2017-3-13
Use props
PimpDawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

^^^ that is crazy. The UK has cameras everywhere yet people in public cry foul over privacy? "What if they were naked" lol.... then stay home!
2017-3-13
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-13 10:09
Respect is fine, but it's also a two-way street, and the woman who attacked the OP needed to respect his rights. Obedience to strangers who react emotionally and who try to police legal behaviors they dislike is a very different thing.

I completely agree droneflying, there are obviously crazy ridiculous people out there and I've seen some insane videos of people attacking pilots for no reason and I guess you just have to judge it on an individual basis. The larger this hobby grows though the more bad apples that get introduced into the pile. I would hate to see even more drone law restrictions in the coming years, and flying responsibly is really the only way to avoid this in my opinion.

ps.. I really want to fly my drone in national parks and hate that we cant, some of the most gorgeous scenery in the country is in our national parks and its a shame we dont have access to fly in these areas but its because of past irresponsible pilots and they ruin it for everyone unfortunately.
2017-3-13
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
United States

SteveDickin Posted at 2017-3-13 10:06
I nearly made the same post yesterday as I was approached by two people in a similar fashion swearing at me for buzzing over them.  I was in a field next to a river and taking in the sights with the Mavic.  The guy even advised me that if I fly over again he would shoot my drone down.  This is the UK, we don't generally hear people talking about guns, its quite a fright.  They were in a boat on the river and confronted me because I invaded their privacy, I was constantly asked what if they were naked.

I have the conversation on the iPad as it now records.

See these are the types of people I have a lot less patience with. So entitled that they think you're interested in watching the float down a river. I think it goes back to ignorance though, those people probably had no idea what that drone was doing or does and if you showed them the footage they would have probably felt like complete tools and walked away with their foot in their mouth. Majority of the general public thinks we are flying government spy drones around over their heads.. I think they watch too many movies
2017-3-13
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

2017-3-13
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Like I said, it's a two part problem working against us.

- There are the irresponsible pilots.. and there are plenty in this forum based just on the youtube videos I've seen this past month.

- But also ignorant people who think we're flying RQ9 Reapers

I'm not FAA, so to those who fly like this.. you can do what you want. Just know you're one mistake away from being on the 10 o'clock news, and I've seen quite a few pilots out here being the featured story just this past year. In consequence, the hatred against the hobby grows, making it more difficult to fly.

One particular numbnut I'd like to point out is the pilot from last week's video that went viral, with the woman point the gun at the drone from her house. Sure its illegal to shoot a drone, but why are you hovering in the back of her home? And how many millions of women watched that video, now exponentially raising the irrational paranoia of the same thing happening to them.
2017-3-13
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
United States

Mir Posted at 2017-3-13 10:27

- There are the irresponsible pilots.. and there are plenty in this forum based just on the youtube videos I've seen this past month.

Wow.. just watched this video.... makes me mad watching it... that truly is an invasion of privacy and I cant say that I would have done anything much differently than this woman did other than probably film the occasion and report it to the police.

What are the laws on flying a drone on someone back porch like this... surely it is not legal?

edit: apparently if a drone is outside your window or home you have "the right" to shoot it out of the sky according to this judge.
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com ... o-do-it-says-judge/
2017-3-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-13 10:02

For many people in urban and suburban areas parks are the safest -- and often the most legal -- places to fly. I suspect that the kind of "parks" that you're accustomed to are very different from most of the ones near me, which mostly are just large grassy areas that typically have no occupants at all.

Typically people have gone to parks in urban and suburban areas to get away from the hustle and bustle of their surroundings and the peace these areas offer them to escape to, that's a major reason they are there in those areas.

If there is no one there , there is no problem, if there are people there then you need to show consideration, if you don't that's what we call ignorance.

Having consideration for others is how we all get along in this world, if we don't have this we have conflict.

The great delusion of men everywhere, that their disregard for other people makes them interesting”
2017-3-13
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-13 10:39
Typically people have gone to parks in urban and suburban areas to get away from the hustle and bustle of their surroundings and the peace these areas offer them to escape to, that's a major reason they are there in those areas.

If there is no one there , there is no problem, if there are people there then you need to show consideration, if you don't that's what we call ignorance.

that's what we call ignorance.

Ignorance is someone thinking that they're really capable of or willing to be around other people without ever offending them or always getting universal approval for their actions.

"Another great delusion of men is thinking that throwing out a pithy quote automatically makes them the winner in a disagreement."
2017-3-13
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Mir Posted at 2017-3-13 10:27

Aye yeah, some people are crazy. I'm with you on public safety. But you have to admit at 4k details you can see quite a bit. I fly about 170 feet up and no one bats a eye usually, the mavic is quiet. But playback you end up seeing things you weren't even focused on in testing.

We've talked about it a little here. Flying over a bathroom is probably not going to make fans, really all common sense.
2017-3-13
Use props
JonCahillPhoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15256 ft
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-3-13 10:48
Aye yeah, some people are crazy. I'm with you on public safety. But you have to admit at 4k details you can see quite a bit. I fly about 170 feet up and no one bats a eye usually, the mavic is quiet. But playback you end up seeing things you weren't even focused on in testing.

We've talked about it a little here. Flying over a bathroom is probably not going to make fans, really all common sense.

That is a decent point. With the quality of aerial cameras that we have access to now a days, you can unintentionally record things with clarity that were not the intention/desire.

All aside, the more we rationally and calmly handle matters, the better Drone/UAV Ambassadors we can be. The ball of public perception is really hard to stop rolling once it starts.
2017-3-13
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-3-13 10:15
I completely agree droneflying, there are obviously crazy ridiculous people out there and I've seen some insane videos of people attacking pilots for no reason and I guess you just have to judge it on an individual basis. The larger this hobby grows though the more bad apples that get introduced into the pile. I would hate to see even more drone law restrictions in the coming years, and flying responsibly is really the only way to avoid this in my opinion.

ps.. I really want to fly my drone in national parks and hate that we cant, some of the most gorgeous scenery in the country is in our national parks and its a shame we dont have access to fly in these areas but its because of past irresponsible pilots and they ruin it for everyone unfortunately.

For National Parks banning drones, you can thank people like Raphael Pirker (aka Trappy) and Team Blacksheep who in 2010 did a US tour and flew their Zephyr ritewing + quads all over national parks in a reckless manner. The NPS shortly after banned all drones from National parks. FAA soon after got into a legal battle with Raphael for yet another reckless flight and ended with no winners, just a bunch of new laws.

Back in the day, the general public had no knowledge of this tech and it was actually fun to fly. I also had a Zephyr II wing and there were no laws against FPV, we'd do 6-9 mile LOS flights over uninhabited areas with ease. An internal battle ensued, mostly on forums like RCGroups, condemning Team blacksheep with their flying behaviour, and even I was arguing with Raphael himself over at RCGroups to no avail.. people like this have thick skulls and don't understand the consequences of their actions.

It's a total shame we can't fly in these amazing areas. When it comes down to new laws being made, it's usually the result of the actions of just a few people.

2017-3-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

2017-3-13
Use props
fans464c96e6
lvl.2

Canada

I dont get this restriction of not being able to fly in national parks....I mean these are not dinky busy parks. We are talking tens or hundreds of square kilometers of area. I really think that if people were allowed to fly in parks, we would have a lot less incidents of people flying in cities, over people etc..I swear there is no freedom left in this world...We are creating the same robotic societies we see in movies based in a future!! So sad.
Someone should start a petition with the government to allow flying in national parks. I bet Trump will allow it
2017-3-13
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting forum for sure.  I started flying a few years ago and one of my first times flying was in a public park.  I spoke to the police dept, Parks and Rec. for the city I was flying in, the county, etc. and all said no problems.  Only a had full of people in the park.  There was a "ditch" with cat tails, trees, etc. in it and I was flying over it...some lady walked by and shouted out..."If we are not allowed to go down there, what makes you think you can fly over it?"

Shocked, I told here I didn't know we couldn't go in that area and I would bring it back and away from there.  Long story, short, it was a natural wildlife area...only ONE sign at one end not even close to the park entrence or walkways...Yes, I was the ignorant one that did not do my job and look, but in my defense...only one sign.

Since then I have been extremely cautious as to were I fly.  I was just in Hawaii and flew over the ocean off of a pier and the parking lot of where we were staying...not one issue, the funny thing is, all of the people around, including a police officer, were very curious.  One even asked me if I could spy with it and I showed her what the camera was seeing and explained to her and all of the others that it is not designed for that.  I ended up doing more explaining and talking to people than I was able to fly it...go figure.  

This brings up my confidence in flying more BUT as everyone here would agree...flying with common sense.  WE are the ones that have to be completely patient with people because of what we all here from the media and see on YouTube  ( I am assuming this is the video people are talking about?   ).  Educating people is a step and we all should do it.
2017-3-13
Use props
Poop Chute
lvl.2

United States

Maybe the woman is just a paranoid psycho & there was no other drone?  I don't understand ranting against fellow drone pilots when it may just be this woman's hyperactive imagination?
2017-3-13
Use props
Poop Chute
lvl.2

United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-13 09:55

Respect is a two-way street.  I don't particularly care for bratty kids but in a public place you have to accept them.
2017-3-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Poop Chute Posted at 2017-3-13 13:55
Respect is a two-way street.  I don't particularly care for bratty kids but in a public place you have to accept them.

Just like reckless flying is responsibility of the pilot, bratty kids responsibility of the parents.
2017-3-13
Use props
fans6a60c8b9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89898 ft
Canada

this topic is a controversial thing which, i don't feel should be. I've been given some very varying reactions to flying any of my drones past or present. Negative reactions all about privacy, and the positives were just curiosity.
2017-3-13
Use props
Poop Chute
lvl.2

United States

Been flying drones for 3 years.  Probably 2000+ flights.  I've never once had a bad experience or someone approach me as this woman did.  Perhaps it's because I often fly discreetly?  I park somewhere facing the direction I intend to fly, set things up in the vehicle, sit the drone outside, & fly from the comfort of the vehicle.  Climate controlled, rest the remote on the wheel, & even has a nifty cup holder!  At the most people see me fly out & return 20 minutes later.  No fuss...no muss.
2017-3-13
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules