[Crash] Mavic with strong GPS signal behave like it was in atti mode
842 12 2017-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pedrobsky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 111480 ft
Portugal

I apologize in advance if I’m posting this threat incorrectly, but I searched for an answer here and Ia already read manual more than once and still don’t understand what happened:

I had my Mavic 3 weeks ago and I was spending a nice time with it. I understand that VPS (depending on altitude) and GPS are very important to get the drone stable while hovering.

I really hadn’t any problem while operating it with remote RF remote control. A couple of times my mavic lost GPS signal and entered in ATTI, but that was ok because I try to keep it in an altitude above any obstacle.

Last week I tried Wi-Fi mode… and it was a big mistake…

I connect my iPhone 7 to Mavic. Camera feed was ok. Green light on Mavic (and strong GPS signal on iPhone indicator). I touched take off button. After take –off (and keeping strong GPS signal) it starts to behave like it was in ATTI mode. I was 5 meters from drone and it starts coming backwards and left (I almost crashed on my face!).

On my flight log I had this warning:

-       “Warning [compass] magnetic interfered (In Flight) please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally (Using)”

well.. it did behave abnormally, but it came so fast in my direction that I was worried about not getting my face smashed…

It crashed and It is pretty damaged. At that moment I was using gimbal cover, but camera and gimbal are destroyed..

Next day it was shipped to Repair center in Netherlands (fast). I’m waiting now…

I need to understand if it is or not pilot fault... to learn... for the future

2017-3-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Do you have flight logs, and did you do compass calibration or what kind of area where you flying in.

Your flight logs should be on your phone.
2017-3-13
Use props
Pedrobsky
lvl.1
Portugal

Before this crash took place,  I was flying my Mavic in RF mode. I don't remember to see any compass warning (anyway, I was waiting to get somewhere less populated/urban area to calibrate my compass). After that, I changed batteries and tried Wi-Fi mode.

{:4_142:}
IMG_1017.PNG
2017-3-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Pedrobsky Posted at 2017-3-13 12:19
Before this crash took place,  I was flying my Mavic in RF mode. I don't remember to see any compass warning (anyway, I was waiting to get somewhere less populated/urban area to calibrate my compass). After that, I changed batteries and tried Wi-Fi mode.

It seems right after you took of you had compass interference this could well the cause of your crash, but I would guess the interference was coming from the location you were in.
2017-3-13
Use props
Pedrobsky
lvl.1
Portugal

I was on a building roof. I ve Bene taking off from there and beber happened this problem :/
2017-3-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Pedrobsky Posted at 2017-3-13 13:03
I was on a building roof. I ve Bene taking off from there and beber happened this problem :/

One of the worst places to take off from, buildings made of steel and concrete, this forum is littered with dead drones taking off from rooftops.

Hopefully you can get your drone fixed and it doesn't cost to much.

Good luck..
2017-3-13
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

it seems like a malfunction of the compass
2017-3-13
Use props
Pedrobsky
lvl.1
Portugal

I m not sure that a Top of a building is a bad site do launch. I didn't find any information about not launching from buildings in DJI manual.

If they say you can use it indoor... I guess it would have even more magnetic interference.

Anyway, even with compass failure and (possible)  VPS failure situation,  hovering at 1.2m wouldn't be safe with strong GPS signal?
2017-3-13
Use props
fansc2962bbc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

Strange message on the RC. Please swich to atti mode. I thougt this was done automatically by the Mavic.  Can't be done. by the operator.
2017-3-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Pedrobsky Posted at 2017-3-13 13:44
I m not sure that a Top of a building is a bad site do launch. I didn't find any information about not launching from buildings in DJI manual.

If they say you can use it indoor... I guess it would have even more magnetic interference.

Page 50 of your manual

2/ fly in open areas, tall structures and large metal structures may effect the accuracy of on board compass and gps...
2017-3-13
Use props
Pedrobsky
lvl.1
Portugal

GPS was Ok all the time...
Otherwise, I wound t take off...
2017-3-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Pedrobsky Posted at 2017-3-13 15:11
GPS was Ok all the time...
Otherwise, I wound t take off...

Gps wasn't your problem it looks from what you posted it was your compass, you can also post your logs.
2017-3-13
Use props
Pedrobsky
lvl.1
Portugal

Upon checking on the case, DJI decided to fix my Mavic under warranty.
2017-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules