Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Looking at purchasing USED Inspire?
2116 14 2017-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joealbany
lvl.1

United States

Hello,

I have a phantom 3 and I'm looking to upgrade to a more professional UAV. I met a gentleman this weekend that is asking $1300 for a USED DJI Inspire 1 zenmuse x3 with two flight controllers. Hopfully I can negoticiate him down to $1000. Is this a fair price? Keep in mind it is USED and he said its in great condidtion.

Would I be better off buying a NEW Phontom 4 or even a mavic for about the same price? I havent been able to get my hands onto an inspire to fly it so I dont know how it compares to a phantom.

Keep in mind I wouldn't consider myself a professional quite yet but my intentions are headed that way! I dont want to bite off more than I can chew... And if I were to pull the trigger and I realize its more drone than I need, are they easy to sell?

Thanks for your help! Please feel free to comment as you please. Any advice would help!
2017-3-13
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
United States

2nd Controller isn't worth anything, slave video feed has been broken for over a year with no legit fix in sight.
As to whether you should buy it or not, that's completely up to you and what purpose you intend to put it to.

Inspire isn't a hobby UAV, if you are after a toy to play with, get a Mavic.
2017-3-13
Use props
Focus4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2436886 ft
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2017-3-13 18:07
2nd Controller isn't worth anything, slave video feed has been broken for over a year with no legit fix in sight.
As to whether you should buy it or not, that's completely up to you and what purpose you intend to put it to.

Why do you say the second controller isn't worth anything? I work for a national television network and we fly Inspire's with a two-person crew all the time. If he didn't have the slave controller, my camera operator couldn't do his job.
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2017-3-13 18:07

I don't know what you are referring to by saying slave doesn't work. It works just fine on the Inspire, if yours is not then you may want to send your RC in for repair.
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

The P4 Pro is going to be a better camera than the X3. But you can't have dual operator with the P4P, and with an Inspire you can always get a X5 camera or even X5R then be fully professional.
2017-3-14
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-14 13:10
I don't know what you are referring to by saying slave doesn't work. It works just fine on the Inspire, if yours is not then you may want to send your RC in for repair.

Because ever since the number of channels was cut from 32 to 8, slave video feed has been laggy, pixelated and unusable.

This issue apparently didn't affect US based people as much, but elsewhere it's broken.
This is why we have to apply the 32 channel hack to get it to work again.
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Farnk666 Posted at 2017-3-14 16:08
Because ever since the number of channels was cut from 32 to 8, slave video feed has been laggy, pixelated and unusable.

This issue apparently didn't affect US based people as much, but elsewhere it's broken.

Your slave video feed would be the same as master video feed.
2017-3-15
Use props
joealbany
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-14 13:09
The P4 Pro is going to be a better camera than the X3. But you can't have dual operator with the P4P, and with an Inspire you can always get a X5 camera or even X5R then be fully professional.

As of right now I am a one manned crew so would it be in my best interest to look at the Phantom 4? Like I said, I have a phantom 3 and I want something better. I do a lot of high speed flights over water filming boats but I have also been doing a lot of real estate filming/photography.

In master mode (without slave), can I rotate the camera 360 degrees  or is the rotation of the camera limited to the aircraft's position similar to the phantom?

Again any input is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks
2017-3-15
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I think that is a fair price , how may battery packs does it have ?  if at least 2 and they are in good shape  I would say go for it .
My rule of thumb is 60% of retail for a used Item, and it Must be in PERFECT shape.
You will love the Inspire  1 v2 . Do you happen to know how long the other owner owned it ? The reason I ask is that if you want to get say an X5 or X5 raw in the future  the Inspire 1 v2 has the larger motors and would come with the X5 vibration board standard.  If you are not getting the Inspire 1 V2 then I would NOT get it.  ( the  first run inspire 1 ( not v 2 )  will do the job but struggle with the larger cameras , also the resale would NOT be as good , In My opinion) Regarding the camera :
I normally also rotate (Yaw) the aircraft and the camera goes along for the ride , so you will get full 360 +( You would get over 360 +if in slave mode as well ) and then I use the dial for the pitch control .  Just like your Phantom.
Also in the futrue being able to have a camera operator as well aas a primary is an awesome feature !  
ask the current owner if it is the V ersion 2 of the Inspire 1.  If he does not know ask him  what vibration board came with the aircraft ( I assume he bought it new ). If it is the X3 vibration board it is  the Original Inspire .  If it has the X5 vibration board ( much wider when looking straight at the aircraft )  and that came with It new then it is the Inspire 1 v2.  That is the one you want , it will  have better value and handle the X5 cameras much better.  

donnie

2017-3-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

joealbany Posted at 2017-3-15 07:20
As of right now I am a one manned crew so would it be in my best interest to look at the Phantom 4? Like I said, I have a phantom 3 and I want something better. I do a lot of high speed flights over water filming boats but I have also been doing a lot of real estate filming/photography.

In master mode (without slave), can I rotate the camera 360 degrees  or is the rotation of the camera limited to the aircraft's position similar to the phantom?

The P4P camera does not rotate 360° but you can use different intelligent features to achieve panning shots. Waypoints and Course lock is good if you want to film going in t a straight line and panning to keep your subject in frame.
2017-3-15
Use props
joealbany
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-15 07:38
I think that is a fair price , how may battery packs does it have ?  if at least 2 and they are in good shape  I would say go for it .
My rule of thumb is 60% of retail for a used Item, and it Must be in PERFECT shape.
You will love the Inspire . Do you happen to know how long the other owner owned it ?  the reason I ask is that if you want to get say an X5 or X5 raw in the future  the Inspire 1 v2 has the larger motors and would come with the X5 vibration board standard.  If you are not getting the Inspire 1 V2 then I would NOT get it.  ( the  first run inspire 1 ( not v 2 )  will do the job but struggle with the larger cameras , also the resale would NOT be as good , In My opinion) Regarding the camera :

Donnie,

Thank you for your input! It comes with 2 batteries, a case and extra props. I cannot advise if it is the V1 or V2 but I will ask and get back with you.

Stay tuned,
Joe
2017-3-15
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

joealbany Posted at 2017-3-15 07:50
Donnie,

Thank you for your input! It comes with 2 batteries, a case and extra props. I cannot advise if it is the V1 or V2 but I will ask and get back with you.

Joe I would get it if it is the Inspire 1 v2.  If not , I would walk away .  I think  1000 -1300 is a good deal .  I spent 2700 dollars  for my system a little over a year ago ( it was brand new )  and that did not include an extra battery  or seperate slave RC.

That second transmitter is valuable in my opinion, Hell you could sell it for at least 300 dollars, but I would keep it .  I had to buy one to and it cost me  around 375 us dollars  for one that was like new.

Be sure to test. ALL THE EQUIPMENT before buying as well .

donnie
2017-3-15
Use props
joealbany
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-15 07:58
Joe I would get it if it is the Inspire 1 v2.  If not , I would walk away .  I think  1000 -1300 is a good deal .  I spent 2700 dollars  for my system a little over a year ago ( it was brand new )  and that did not include an extra battery  or seperate slave RC.

That second transmitter is valuable in my opinion, Hell you could sell it for at least 300 dollars, but I would keep it .  I had to buy one to and it cost me  around 375 us dollars  for one that was like new.

Ok so it is a V1 white.
2017-3-15
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

joealbany Posted at 2017-3-15 09:45
Ok so it is a V1 white.

It is an old aircraft, if you want to go to the X5 camera systems it is going to struggle ( the AC will struggle )  .  You would also need to update the vibration board  for the X5.  

If you could get it for say 900-1000  dollars , I think that would be a good deal . Just understand what you are getting .

Look on e bay for some prices  and compare .  ( I just looked and there between 1000 to 1500 )

Remember if you plan on selling it someday , they are going to want to Know the same thing  V1 or V2 ...
If you plan on getting the X5 then I would wait and find a good used Inspire 2 .  

donnie

2017-3-15
Use props
Farnk666
Captain
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-15 06:41
Your slave video feed would be the same as master video feed.

Are you serious?
As a DJI tech support person are you saying that there is no issue with slave video feed on the Inspire 1? Maybe you might want to talk to Tahoe Ed on this.

Would you like me to forward on to you all the details and my email conversation with DJI support in China on this? Maybe you might even search your own forum to catch the dozens of threads about the problem?

The root issue is the close proximity of the 2.4 and 5.8 antennas on the RC - when 5.8 is used in a slave config, the video reception is affected on the 2.4 channels. When DJI in it's wisdom cut the allowable range of frequencies from 32 channels down to 8, this made the problem worse to the point where it is just not usable.

The only fix for non-FCC area operators is to apply the 32 channel hack and operate out of compliance.
2017-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules