10449 40 2017-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dennis D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 143468 ft
  • >>>
United States

I received my P4P+ just last week (newbie) and being an IT person I immediately upgraded the software on the RC and then it did it on the P4P+. The map display was not showing any maps even though I was inside and connected to WiFi. I went to the Offline Maps function but all I get is "Network Not Available". DJI support asked me to perform the update again, but that didn't help. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know if the update caused it or that it was there already. Also, the icon on the map does change direction when the aircraft is rotated.
2017-3-13
Use props
goldenorfephoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3405390 ft
United Kingdom

was the drone turned on ?    needs gps lock to know were it is.    try outside in garden to see if drone transmitts gps signal to maps
2017-3-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Don't worry about it.  Whether you have a blank map or a detailed map makes no difference to your flying.  The map is the least useful feature.
2017-3-13
Use props
fansb2edd25e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 736775 ft
United States

So you don't know how to help with the original question.  The question wasn't about your opinion; it was about fubctionality
2017-3-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansb2edd25e Posted at 2017-3-13 16:32
So you don't know how to help with the original question.  The question wasn't about your opinion; it was about fubctionality

And I was saying that the map doesn't offer much functionality anyway - so don't worry about it.

But if you want more detail, since DJI swapped over to Here Maps, the mapping comes and goes.
Here Maps doesn't seem to be completely reliable.
Don't worry about it though because it doesn't matter.
2017-3-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Something I found rather interesting. Even though after my planned area was cached with my flight maps in my home wifi network, upon arriving at my flight area, the maps weren't always available.
Yet, once back at home, reviewing the several flights, the map was showing, in the playback. When we fly at or in the vacant airplane hangar during winter. Playing back the flight later, the runways and control tower were visible on the playback, even though the City Centre Airport no longer exists. That gives me an idea of how old these maps were written.
As Labroides stated above, you don't need the map to fly. True, but it is nice to have the map available, regardless.  I fly mostly with camera view, and really only care about the map later, when reviewing my flights.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-13
Use props
Dennis D
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I agree that the maps are secondary to flying, but I'm the type of person that expects the advertised features to work. The fact that even the the Offline Maps interface doesn't work raises concern that there's something wrong with the "app". I've been in software development since 1981 so I get a little finicky when it comes to software not doing what it's suppose to do

Thanks to all for your comments!
2017-3-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Dennis D Posted at 2017-3-13 18:21
I agree that the maps are secondary to flying, but I'm the type of person that expects the advertised features to work. The fact that even the the Offline Maps interface doesn't work raises concern that there's something wrong with the "app". I've been in software development since 1981 so I get a little finicky when it comes to software not doing what it's suppose to do

The Offline Maps interface does work but sometimes Here Maps server is unable to deliver.
It's not a problem in the app, just the map provider that DJI have switched to.
2017-3-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dennis D Posted at 2017-3-13 18:21

It's simply the nature of the beast. & not an exact science, and there are many variables that come into play. There is one way that you might wish to consider, if the flight maps are seriously important to you. But this alternative would require that you have a device that has a cellular connection. I'm using an iPad Air2 64gb Cellular for my chosen dedicated device. I presently don't have a SIM card in it, but if I was going to visit the mountain retreat of my family home in Canmore Alberta, I would most certainly have a cellular connection, to defeat the off chance, that my maps were not available otherwise.
I know that's not always a choice that others can choose to make, but when I bought my iPad Air2 Cellular, it was something that I had considered strongly and made the obvious choice, which was for me, to Future Proof my advantages, options  and unknown variables.

If you already have a cell phone, it can also be used as a temporary wifi hot spot.  There are always ways to get around difficult situations.  There is no reason, why you can't have your flight maps, if those are something you find neccesary to make your flight experiences complete, satisfactory.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-13
Use props
fansbc78c06f
New
Flight distance : 328579 ft

United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-13 14:54
Don't worry about it.  Whether you have a blank map or a detailed map makes no difference to your flying.  The map is the least useful feature.

I just got a DJI P3S and it takes about 15 minutes to get a map up.  Satellite terrain never loads.  Just got this today not sure what is up.  I want my terrain and maps to work so I can keep good orientation of where the drone is.
2017-3-13
Use props
fansbc78c06f
New
Flight distance : 328579 ft

United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-13 17:27
And I was saying that the map doesn't offer much functionality anyway - so don't worry about it.

But if you want more detail, since DJI swapped over to Here Maps, the mapping comes and goes.

How do you set waypoints if you have no map?
2017-3-13
Use props
Dennis D
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fansbc78c06f, good point about not being able to set way points.  It has become painfully obvious (in hind-sight) that the HERE maps have been a problem since day one and that DJI switched to them save money. I have a 45 day window in which I can return my P4P+ and I may do so in order the exchange for P4P and use a smart device instead of their built-in one.
2017-3-14
Use props
Sheffaphro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1205184 ft
Russia

I did the same thing. Go to settings -> backup&reset -> factory data reset
2017-3-17
Use props
Rene vd Meer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 236781 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

On my tablet (Nvidia Shield, wifi only) the maps are cleared when I turn it off.
So I check the maps prior to the flight. If I don't have a GPS position in-house or if I fly somewhere else I zoom in on that location by hand and make sure I have a map.
So can also use a phone and use tethering.
Dennis, I agree with you: a map gives much comfort.
2017-3-17
Use props
visiom
New
Flight distance : 3934 ft
Brazil

Rene vd Meer Posted at 2017-3-17 05:04
On my tablet (Nvidia Shield, wifi only) the maps are cleared when I turn it off.
So I check the maps prior to the flight. If I don't have a GPS position in-house or if I fly somewhere else I zoom in on that location by hand and make sure I have a map.
So can also use a phone and use tethering.

I had the same problem, did the factory reset and started to work the maps.
2017-4-21
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-13 18:39
It's simply the nature of the beast. & not an exact science, and there are many variables that come into play. There is one way that you might wish to consider, if the flight maps are seriously important to you. But this alternative would require that you have a device that has a cellular connection. I'm using an iPad Air2 64gb Cellular for my chosen dedicated device. I presently don't have a SIM card in it, but if I was going to visit the mountain retreat of my family home in Canmore Alberta, I would most certainly have a cellular connection, to defeat the off chance, that my maps were not available otherwise.
I know that's not always a choice that others can choose to make, but when I bought my iPad Air2 Cellular, it was something that I had considered strongly and made the obvious choice, which was for me, to Future Proof my advantages, options  and unknown variables.

After a mere week or so of playing with my new P4P+ I tend to believe that the entire system suffers from unfortunate combination of not efficient enough Android OS and display hardware. As much as the idea is appealing to many (design simplicity, screen brightness etc.), this concept fights for survival since day one. FW updates solved most annoying issues, yet it's still not that much reliable as external Apple devices. I've experienced Go app frozen twice already and only RTH button get the drone back. Map display during flight? Forget it. Just to confirm, I launched my I1P with AirPad 2 and boom, maps are here as  usual. No matter if they're useless or not during flight, maps should be available on site.  
2017-4-21
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dennis D Posted at 2017-3-14 03:23
fansbc78c06f, good point about not being able to set way points.  It has become painfully obvious (in hind-sight) that the HERE maps have been a problem since day one and that DJI switched to them save money. I have a 45 day window in which I can return my P4P+ and I may do so in order the exchange for P4P and use a smart device instead of their built-in one.

'I have a 45 day window in which I can return my P4P+ and I may do so in order the exchange for P4P and use a smart device instead of their built-in one.'

True, but it will not make any difference to the map display. You still get the same crap maps either way. But the dedicated display on the P4P+, while brighter, does not allow the installation of third party control apps.
2017-4-21
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-4-21 21:18
After a mere week or so of playing with my new P4P+ I tend to believe that the entire system suffers from unfortunate combination of not efficient enough Android OS and display hardware. As much as the idea is appealing to many (design simplicity, screen brightness etc.), this concept fights for survival since day one. FW updates solved most annoying issues, yet it's still not that much reliable as external Apple devices. I've experienced Go app frozen twice already and only RTH button get the drone back. Map display during flight? Forget it. Just to confirm, I launched my I1P with AirPad 2 and boom, maps are here as  usual. No matter if they're useless or not during flight, maps should be available on site.

If it were me, the I1P would be my go to drone. ;-)

Hopefully, something is being written, that will correct the current situation with your Phantom...

RedHotPoker

2017-4-22
Use props
vripley
New
Flight distance : 560915 ft
United States

I'm getting the same "Network Unavailable" error on my P4P+ in the "Offline Map Download" section. Oddly enough, I run the DJI app on my droid and it works fine... Even more odd, wto allowing Mainland China data, suddenly a bunch of Chinese cities pop up and become available to download. It's like I only can't download US map data... Weird...
2017-4-26
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

vripley Posted at 2017-4-26 09:31
I'm getting the same "Network Unavailable" error on my P4P+ in the "Offline Map Download" section. Oddly enough, I run the DJI app on my droid and it works fine... Even more odd, wto allowing Mainland China data, suddenly a bunch of Chinese cities pop up and become available to download. It's like I only can't download US map data... Weird...

What did you find weird about? After all it is a Chinese technology and product, isn't? For change we can flip the burgers so expertly like no other nation in the world ...
2017-4-26
Use props
TitaniumLime
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68625 ft
United Kingdom

I have a Phantom 4 Pro+ (PLUS) and I can't seem to download any maps!

From the homepage (the one with the picture slide show) I click the fourth icon along the top.

This takes me into the Offline Map Download page.

A window says "Acquiring Offline City List"

After 10 seconds it vanishes and a grey box says "Network Unavalible".

Why can't I download any maps?

I've tried in the house with the home wifi - I've tired outside on my mobile phone hotspot wifi.

I've tried with the P4P+ connected to give some GPS.

Nothing - why can't I download any maps!

I'm in the UK.
2017-5-20
Use props
Scott H
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2136 ft
United States

TitaniumLime Posted at 2017-5-20 04:42
I have a Phantom 4 Pro+ (PLUS) and I can't seem to download any maps!

From the homepage (the one with the picture slide show) I click the fourth icon along the top.

Same thing. Did you find a solution? thanks
2017-5-20
Use props
Benz3344
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1709839 ft
Thailand

i'm in thailand also get same problem hope new firmware will resolve this problem and more stable
2017-5-20
Use props
nargzul
lvl.2
Flight distance : 164429 ft
Switzerland

I've the same issue, DJI support asked me to send the drone back "because it's the first time they are told of this issue", when I pointed out there is some topic on the support forum which are 3 month old, they just closed the conversation...
2017-6-15
Use props
fifoo
New
France

vripley Posted at 2017-4-26 09:31

I have something very similar.

After the update to 1.02 I have been able to download a few European countries in which I planned to fly.

I did not check until today where no more maps are available, only offering to download Chinese cities maps. I haven't tried to use the offline maps in the mean time. So I don't know when this happened
2017-7-8
Use props
fifoo
New
France

fifoo Posted at 2017-7-8 09:19
I have something very similar.

After the update to 1.02 I have been able to download a few European countries in which I planned to fly.

Well, did a "factory reset" (in settings menu / "backup and reset" / reset / selected Erase SD card) and maps are back to normal. I could download the maps I wanted.
Went through a number of power cycles to check if booting changed anything and it seems to be stable...
2017-7-9
Use props
fansfc2ae1ce
New
Flight distance : 491627 ft
United States

I don't know if you solved your problem, but I had the same problem today and solved it be deleting and then reloading the DJI Go App.  I found this solution on another forum, and it worked for me.  Good luck.
2017-7-18
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

Had the same problem on the GL300E controller after the firmware update, if you do a reset from the settings screen it will take care of the problem. Looks like this problem is in the GO 4 app and the reset on the GL300E controller clears it up, I would think a reload of the GO 4 software on the iPads or android will also do the trick for you.
2017-7-18
Use props
photomcbeth
lvl.1
Flight distance : 241991 ft
United Kingdom

HI.  I have a similar issue in that I only see to have access to maps of China.  When viewing past flight records there is no map info.  However zoom out and over the China on the map and the data is there.  
When I try to download offline maps I only get Chinese cities.  

Im in Scotland and bought my Phantom 4 Pro Plus a couple of weeks ago from Drones Direct.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.  

Craig
2017-8-23
Use props
Dennis D
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

photomcbeth Posted at 2017-8-23 07:16
HI.  I have a similar issue in that I only see to have access to maps of China.  When viewing past flight records there is no map info.  However zoom out and over the China on the map and the data is there.  
When I try to download offline maps I only get Chinese cities.  

Craig,

I would recommend starting a new thread on this since my original post is probably not monitored by DJI.

Good luck!

Dennis
2017-8-25
Use props
RoyTeo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45194 ft
Singapore

i wonder if anyone got it to work...I too have that network unavailable error all the time..and even in map management, i dun see my downloaded maps from last time..so i have no clue if i really have any maps predownloaded...it was working last time but now, it never does..
2017-10-10
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

RoyTeo Posted at 2017-10-10 04:59
i wonder if anyone got it to work...I too have that network unavailable error all the time..and even in map management, i dun see my downloaded maps from last time..so i have no clue if i really have any maps predownloaded...it was working last time but now, it never does..

Yes the issues for the P4P+ was solved by factory reset of RC, but the later update to app 4.2.4 (i think) on the + introduced some old behavior as this thread started with. :-/

Really no sure how latest update does, don't dare to test any new firmware at the moment.
2017-10-15
Use props
bg34
lvl.1
Flight distance : 795098 ft
United States

Maps are very inconsitent in loading on the dji go4 app.  a lot of times germany gets loaded before I finally make it back to my current location in the central U.S.  When it does load the controller icon does not show up with the craft and the home location.  Only recently have I seen in on a recent flight.  Usually I only load the home point and the craft icon.  ONly recently did the controller icon load on my system.  I did not even know there was an icon that represented the controller until researching it on youtube.  After I noticed the controller icon showing up, then google maps started loading rather than the here maps.  This creates a real problem because they do not load properly either.  I fly much of the time in areas that do not have cellular reception or poor cellular reception.  
Google maps can create problems because of the home location from the google account.  

I would rather have the here downloaded offline maps and have the DJI go 4 app to work as it is intended.  If it doesn't work then they need to stop advertising that it works.  

[url=]Favorite[/url]
[url=]Like[/url]

2017-11-21
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

Reset the controller and it will help that error, I recieved that error when i first bought my drone, its a pain but it solved it.
2017-11-21
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

BagoDJIoperator Posted at 2017-11-21 15:19
Reset the controller and it will help that error, I recieved that error when i first bought my drone, its a pain but it solved it.

It depend on the app, DJI now and then release a version with old issues re-introduced ... :-/
2017-11-22
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
United States

KedDK Posted at 2017-11-22 04:17
It depend on the app, DJI now and then release a version with old issues re-introduced ... :-/

Yea and they are quick to release new products hmmmm
2017-11-22
Use props
dewein
Second Officer
Flight distance : 157746 ft
United States

Use your cell phone as a WiFi hotspot until dji fixes the issue
2017-11-22
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
United States

dewein Posted at 2017-11-22 05:45

That's what I have been doing so far
2017-11-22
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Denmark

dewein Posted at 2017-11-22 05:45

If it is the + version it might be difficult to do .... :-/

Edit: sorry got the point but might not help with the issue always even when wifi is available and connected.
2017-11-22
Use props
dewein
Second Officer
Flight distance : 157746 ft
United States

KedDK Posted at 2017-11-22 06:09
If it is the + version it might be difficult to do .... :-/

Edit: sorry got the point but might not help with the issue always even when wifi is available and connected.

As BagoDJIoperator noted above, it's a good option.  It's what I do with my P4P+ and it works every time (for me anyway).  Try it
2017-11-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules