Taking stills of myself riding a bike...
1376 22 2017-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TT_Mavic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1599610 ft
  • >>>
United States

New here. So please take it easy. Mavic pro arrives tomorrow.

One reason I want this is to be able to take shots of myself riding my bike. I go to some very unique places. I want to be able to take STILL photos while riding my bike. This could mean being solo, riding a bike and not being able to press the shutter button.

Is the quickest interval available one photo eery 5 seconds in .DNG? Can I shoot more images in .JPEG format/in faster interval times?

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

2017-3-13
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 197602 ft
United States

You can use gesture.
2017-3-13
Use props
quadflyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184649 ft
Germany

As fare as i know you can't go under 5sec.
2017-3-14
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Use gesture mode to take still photos while riding a bike? Yes, that would probably make for some interesting photos, all right; I wouldn't mind seeing them myself.
2017-3-14
Use props
jreynolds5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535341 ft
United States

if you set your cqmerq to tqke jpeg only then you can set the interval to every 2 secondsI i did it here

2017-3-14
Use props
TT_Mavic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thanks all for the input. As I would be mountain biking, gestures simply won't work. Looks like 2/5 seconds for jpeg/raw is the best it will be.
2017-3-14
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

I too like to "bike while droning" so I came across this idea from a youtube review.  It is your basic gopro bike mounting system but you have to conduct a small degree of fabricating on one of the screws.  I have used it on my hybrid (as pictured) and just this past weekend I tried it out on my road bike and it provides a safe manner to fly the drone hands free.  You can place it on your handle bar in an ideal location so the photo button is easily accessible and also the C1 button for focusing.  All the while you can see what your mavic is doing on your iphone screen. I found it best to just shoot 4K video and take shots from the video feed later.   

I am a bit of a bike safety advocate so if I think it safe; then it has to be safe!  The next time I am out I plan to try the active track "reverse" feature to take video as I move forward on the bike and the mavic flying automatically in reverse.  Hope this helps you.
Note: I would never try this while flying the mavic manually but only in some sort of smart function
DJI_0438-1.jpg
IMG_2913.jpg
2017-3-14
Use props
TT_Mavic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-3-14 07:36
I too like to "bike while droning" so I came across this idea from a youtube review.  It is your basic gopro bike mounting system but you have to conduct a small degree of fabricating on one of the screws.  I have used it on my hybrid (as pictured) and just this past weekend I tried it out on my road bike and it provides a safe manner to fly the drone hands free.  You can place it on your handle bar in an ideal location so the photo button is easily accessible and also the C1 button for focusing.  All the while you can see what your mavic is doing on your iphone screen. I found it best to just shoot 4K video and take shots from the video feed later.   

I am a bit of a bike safety advocate so if I think it safe; then it has to be safe!  The next time I am out I plan to try the active track "reverse" feature to take video as I move forward on the bike and the mavic flying automatically in reverse.  Hope this helps you.

Thanks. That won't work for mountain biking though.... Think it will just have to be a photo every 5 seconds for .DNG files.

2017-3-14
Use props
VAS67
lvl.3
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

Screen Grab from 4K Video?
Results can be quite good, worth a try
2017-3-14
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

TT_Mavic Posted at 2017-3-14 14:10
Thanks. That won't work for mountain biking though.... Think it will just have to be a photo every 5 seconds for .DNG files.

You are welcome but enlighten me: how are planning on  flying the drone?  Are you planning on holding the controller in your hands while riding your mountain bike or will someone else be flying it while taking pictures of you?  
2017-3-14
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

VAS67 Posted at 2017-3-14 14:31
Screen Grab from 4K Video?
Results can be quite good, worth a try

At 25 images a second 4k stills would give you plenty to choose from.
2017-3-14
Use props
TT_Mavic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-3-14 16:06
You are welcome but enlighten me: how are planning on  flying the drone?  Are you planning on holding the controller in your hands while riding your mountain bike or will someone else be flying it while taking pictures of you?

You can set the drone to follow you. And/or put it up in a hover at a certain spot and ride by or under it.
2017-3-15
Use props
TT_Mavic
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-3-14 16:18
At 25 images a second 4k stills would give you plenty to choose from.

Yes, but not the same as a DNG file to work with. But Potentially the solution. I don't understand why the shortest interval is 2 and 5 seconds. Even a go pro can do every 0.5 for jpeg....
2017-3-15
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

TT_Mavic Posted at 2017-3-15 17:09
You can set the drone to follow you. And/or put it up in a hover at a certain spot and ride by or under it.

Where will your controller be while you are doing this?  It would not be a good idea (IMO) to not have the controller with you even during follow-me modes.  The least to happen is a disconnect and it just hovers while you ride off and the most is it encounters an issue and you need to disconnect the smart mode.  Just saying!
2017-3-15
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft
United States

M Stuart, can you link me to that mount for the remote? Looks perfect for my needs.
2017-3-16
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264101 ft
Canada

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-3-14 07:36

is the mount just sticky on to the radio?
seems sketchy going throu bumps while biking...
2017-3-16
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

lildevilx Posted at 2017-3-16 08:01
is the mount just sticky on to the radio?
seems sketchy going throu bumps while biking...

Are you familiar with these types of mounts?  I have used these things for years on end for securing video cameras (even the larger ones) and such to my bike and knock on wood I have never had one to dislodge once you place it on properly.  But since you asked; I do wrap a strong rubber band around it as my safety chain.  IMO if you are going to use the smart features on the mavic with a bike; the controller should be on the bike; not in your hand.  
2017-3-16
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matman Posted at 2017-3-16 07:24
M Stuart, can you link me to that mount for the remote? Looks perfect for my needs.

Here you go; this one is not the original GoPro.  It actually has a feature that the GoPro does not, which allows it to be directed in 4 directions.  You will have to cut off part of the plastic from one of the screws so it will protrude all the way to the nut on the upper most connection.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-3-16
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Canada

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-3-16 09:43
Are you familiar with these types of mounts?  I have used these things for years on end for securing video cameras (even the larger ones) and such to my bike and knock on wood I have never had one to dislodge once you place it on properly.  But since you asked; I do wrap a strong rubber band around it as my safety chain.  IMO if you are going to use the smart features on the mavic with a bike; the controller should be on the bike; not in your hand.

I must say, not for biking. I'm looking into it at the moment as i want to mount it on my bike when biking season starts again here.

I've never really trust sticky on bumpy rides so... I've been debating about opening up the controller to drill something in lol...

Might actually just go with your idea and reinforce it was some JB wield
2017-3-16
Use props
Matman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 644669 ft
United States

Thanks mucho!
2017-3-16
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

lildevilx Posted at 2017-3-16 09:57
I must say, not for biking. I'm looking into it at the moment as i want to mount it on my bike when biking season starts again here.

I've never really trust sticky on bumpy rides so... I've been debating about opening up the controller to drill something in lol...

Biking season is always in!  Good luck!
2017-3-16
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You are welcome. Be sure to choose the sticky mount with the correct amount of curve to it because the flat one will not work. They do not come with the mount but Best Buy or even Amazon has them on the cheap.
2017-3-16
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Canada

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-3-16 10:49
Biking season is always in!  Good luck!

its not when its -10 or lower with  a  100km/h wind gust....
2017-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules