DJI Go4 Losing video signal and crashing
1936 12 2017-3-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

I have posted on a couple of other threads that are old don't seem to be getting much attention so I though I would start a new one.

I have been using my Mavic with a Galaxy S7 edge since late February and it started out really well.  After upgrading the app in early March the problems got really bad.  The app would crash up to 4 times during the same flight.  After trying to diagnose this it was evident that no attention would be paid to this issue since the S7 is not a recommended device.

I have a Galaxy S5 running stock android 5.0 with about 8 apps installed.  I turn off WiFi and I don't even have cell service on this device.  I have started using this device for flying my Mavic and again it started out pretty well and seemed to be more reliable.  Now the issues have cropped up culminating today with a scary flight over water.  The symptoms are alway the same, the screen gets laggy, the video feed starts breaking up and updating very slowly if at all.  The app slows to a crawl and updates to all of the flight data (including the map) on the screen get very slow with a 3-7 sec. lag.  Here is a Healthydrones snapshot of this most recent flight.

Mavic S5 Signal and Flight

Mavic S5 Signal and Flight

After flying between 800-1100 ft. away from the home point the signal goes to heck.  This is over open water with a clear line of sight to the controller.  Then the fun begins.  The map stopped updating, the video feed quit updating and while I could see the drone, I couldn't tell which direction it was facing.  I case you can't see it (I don't know why the pic is so small when inserted) I started getting a poor signal (red line) flew a small distance in the wrong direction with a very poor signal(purple line).  Fineally realized that I was not going to get this, I commanded a RTH which worked. After this, the signal from the furthest point all the way home was very good.  I landed safely with my confidence shaken.  Funny thing this time, the app didn't completely crash.

I went back and looked at some of my earlier logs from using my S7edge and noticed the the signal strength was all over the place.  Flight near my house (lots of WiFi everywhere) the signal strength went from very good for several flights, to very poor standing right next to the quad.  I even flew about 2400 ft. with no line of sight  over pine trees that are notorious for degrading RF with no problem and the next flight lost signal 30 ft. away.

The only thing that is somewhat clear to me is that this is a chain of events the begins with bad data causing the app to go into overload and bringing it to it's knees.  Now this could be an intermittant transmitter/antenna in the quad, a bad controller, a bad USB port on the controller, a bad USB cable or an extremely poorly coded app.  The only thing I have not tried is another cable connected to the bottom port of the controller.  

The bottom line is that I just want to confidently fly my new toy without these issues.  I will try a new USB cable, but I grow weary of this whole process and of course today when I was being more bold than ever, the app crashed again over water.  I'm sick over this and just want this solved.  I do think that even if this is a hardware issue, the app should be robust enough to recover from a data loss situation.  Naturally, I don't want to send this in, but it has just about come to that lacking any other guidance from you kind folks or preferably DJI.

I appreciate your looking at this and hope I/we can find out what the heck is going on with this.
2017-3-14
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

I contacted support a few minutes ago and here's what they suggested:
2017-3-14
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

I contacted support today and here's what they suggested:

1.  Downgrade to DJI Go from DJI Go4
2.  Recalibrate IMU and Compass before every flight
3.  ReLink the controller before every flight

This is truly bizarre.  If I were to do this I wouldn't have any time to fly.  Also, the DJI Go app on the google play store says DJI Go is not compatible with the Mavic.
2017-3-14
Use props
Northovers
New

United States

EastyT, exactly the same issue here. I'm using an S7 but not the edge.  All was working perfectly until the other day I did a firmware update and the same issue started.  Am somewhat encouraged that it isn't a hardware issue seeing that others are having the same issue but like you would dearly love this to be fixed.  Someone in an earlier post is able to fix the problem by disconnecting the usb cable from the RC but I haven't been able to try this yet.  I guess another alternative is to use the Litchi app until the app becomes stable, but it does cost some!

Keen to see a resolution
2017-3-14
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.2
United States

I dont understand why (possibly) the highest quality cell phone on the market isnt a recommended device???

Not looking to get into an argument about whose phone is the best, so lets call the s7edge top 3.
2017-3-14
Use props
Socalrob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have an nvidia shield which isn't usable since update to android 7. Worked fine on 6 and now screen freezes and crashes. Also have an lg v20 which has a great screen but also crashes one to two times per battery. I've had my Mavic since early December and in spite of the app crashes, it flys great and no problems with the quad itself. Still, I don't trust taking it very far. I hope dji has made these problems a priority, we deserve that because of the amount of money we spent. We love the Mavic but this really puts a damper on the experience. Way too many people spent a lot of money only to be frustrated by the go 4 app and incompatibility and crashes.
2017-3-14
Use props
Range30
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

Whoa
2017-3-14
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

Northovers Posted at 2017-3-14 16:54
EastyT, exactly the same issue here. I'm using an S7 but not the edge.  All was working perfectly until the other day I did a firmware update and the same issue started.  Am somewhat encouraged that it isn't a hardware issue seeing that others are having the same issue but like you would dearly love this to be fixed.  Someone in an earlier post is able to fix the problem by disconnecting the usb cable from the RC but I haven't been able to try this yet.  I guess another alternative is to use the Litchi app until the app becomes stable, but it does cost some!

Keen to see a resolution

Northovers,

I would be keen to get any word at all from DJI on this, anything....
2017-3-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

You can go to  the image Transmissioin settings to see if there's interference around.
Besides, please try to change the downlink bandwidth from 20MHz to 10MHz.
Also, remember to adjust the antenna when it starts to lose signal.
If convenient, you could use a screen recording app to make a short video for better assistance.
2017-3-15
Use props
Safari
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

EastyT Posted at 2017-3-14 19:41
Northovers,

I would be keen to get any word at all from DJI on this, anything....

I stopped using my android devices for flying the Mavic with DJI software as i dont feel confident and loss my trust in a safe fly. So luckily i own also a few Apple devices and those are working without problems.

I really hope that DJI can sort out the Android side as they plan to launch their Crystalsky monitor (Android based).
I also wanted to try out the Moverio glasses but i guess I'll have to pass on those until trust in Android based system is restored
2017-3-15
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

the screen gets laggy, the video feed starts breaking up and updating very slowly if at all.  The app slows to a crawl and updates to all of the flight data (including the map) on the screen get very slow with a 3-7 sec. lag

I use iOS and see this behavior when the Mavic gets very far away, which makes me think that some of what you're seeing (though probably not the app crashing) might be some kind of problem with the connection between your Mavic and the controller rather than a problem with your mobile device or the firmware.
2017-3-15
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-15 02:59
the screen gets laggy, the video feed starts breaking up and updating very slowly if at all.  The app slows to a crawl and updates to all of the flight data (including the map) on the screen get very slow with a 3-7 sec. lag

I use iOS and see this behavior when the Mavic gets very far away, which makes me think that some of what you're seeing (though probably not the app crashing) might be some kind of problem with the connection between your Mavic and the controller rather than a problem with your mobile device or the firmware.

I tend to agree with you.  I don't think it's signal strength or interference problems. but possibly intermittent connection problems with the aircraft or receiver, especially since there are some android users that are having no issues at all and it doesn't seem to dependent on distance.  And as you said, it doesn't change the fact that the app is not handling this condition properly.  
2017-3-15
Use props
Speed_Freak_039
lvl.2
United States

I just tried Litchi for the first time and liked it alot. No crashes at all. The female voice for warnings and such was a nice change. Also loved the waypoints to let the drone auto pilot on its own
2017-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules