Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Drone shot down by missile
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I have seen on the news that a small drone was shot down by a Patriot missile

http://www.janes.com/article/687 ... ith-patriot-missile

The article does not say if it was a DJI unit, however, it does beg the question if it was whether or not it would be covered by the Care Refresh??? LOL

2017-3-15
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612825 ft
Croatia

DJI Care Refresh lol
I laughed hard at this one
2017-3-15
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

How insane is that (if reported correctly)
   General David Perkins, commanding general of the US Army Training and Doctrine Command, acknowledged that a US ally used a Patriot air defence missile to shoot down a quadcopter unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV).
"We have a close ally dealing with an adversary using a small quadcopter UAS [unmanned aircraft system].
The country that used the missile had no other option to down the UAV

The unit cost of a MIM-104F Patriot PAC-3 missile is $3.43 million  !!!
2017-3-15
Use props
Avean
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1480 ft
Norway

I hope they didnt shoot down a Mavic Pro with a Patriot Missile worth $3.43 million.
2017-3-15
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

As long as you can still recover what's left of the copter, I think DJI Refresh Care is still good.  You can send it back to them in an envelope.
Edit: As a side note, if they are shooting at your copter with a $3.43 million missile, I think they are a little bit upset you flying over there.  
2017-3-15
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

People keep saying that a Phantom can't be detected on radar, the Patriot uses radar to find its target ("Phased array Tracking Radar to Intercept on Target"), so either it wasn't a Phantom or Phantoms can be detected by radar...

Besides, if it was a Phantom the obstacle avoidance would have avoided contact
2017-3-15
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-3-15 05:19
    General David Perkins, commanding general of the US Army Training and  Doctrine Command, acknowledged that a US ally used a Patriot air  defence missile to shoot down a quadcopter unmanned aerial vehicle  (UAV).
"We have a close ally dealing with an adversary using a small quadcopter UAS .

And now the enemy knows exactly how to attack, bankrupt AND disarm it's adversaries...
If drones can carry nerve agents or other deadly substances, seems Israel is in for some real problems with no real solution.
Hamas could easily launch 20 or more of these at the same time against Israel.  Maybe 100.
Then once the supply of Patriot missiles is depleted.....the real attack begins.

At 3.5 million a pop, how many drones could even the US afford to shoot down?  Not all of them.
Crazy times we live in.

2017-3-15
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2017-3-15 06:23
Labroides Posted at 2017-3-15 05:19
    General David Perkins, commanding general of the US Army Training and  Doctrine Command, acknowledged that a US ally used a Patriot air  defence missile to shoot down a quadcopter unmanned aerial vehicle  (UAV).

Definitely interesting times we live in.
2017-3-15
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

What's needed next is some drone killer drones.  Drones are currently at the stage of aeroplanes in world war 1, this is the start of a new arms race involving more and more advanced drones, hunter-killer drones, drone carrier drones, drone refuelling drones, high altitude bomber drones, dive bomber drones, submarine drones, submarine drone hunter-killer drones, supersonic drones, ballistic drones...
2017-3-15
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

You would think someone could have used a shotgun.  What country has no ability to acquire a shotgun?  I will buy them a shotgun rather than waste a 3 million dollar trump missile.
2017-3-15
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

I highly doubt it was a consumer grade drone, like a Phantom, Inspire or Mavic. More than likely a lager military type drone. Even though I did see that Isis was using consumer grade drones to drop small explosives in the battle field.
2017-3-15
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would like to see the flight log on that bird.
2017-3-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Who's gonna pay for that, crazy world..

Wonder how you can return that to dji to claim care refresh..
2017-3-15
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

This ally seems to have no F-16. Those would use a sidewinder which costs only half a million

The launch of this target drone reminds me of the Nazi German V-1. It was a flying bomb being launched by a catapult.
It was so slow that English fighter planes were sometimes able to engage it and shoot it down with the onboard machine gun.
2017-3-15
Use props
Adam Flurk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

Wow. That seems a little bit much to me. Lol
2017-3-15
Use props
RodneyDangerous
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-3-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

RodneyDangerous Posted at 2017-3-15 13:47
No. A "Trump" missile would declare that it is worth $3 million but have no evidence to back that up. Then it would unite with the Russian missiles and blow itself up.

Haha, thanks for the laugh.
2017-3-15
Use props
Badbobstikibar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 620112 ft
United States

I think it would be awesome to have a video of a missile coming  at the drone  fav. Lol
2017-3-15
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

According to an article in "Technology" it was a 200 dollar commercial drone.
2017-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules