Phantom 4 Power Loss / Crash
1686 22 2017-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Delindz13
lvl.1

United States

I was doing some practice flying yesterday with the Phantom 4 and was performing a left banked turn while in Sport Mode.  All of a sudden the Phantom lost control and fell out of the sky from about 138 ft up.  I just set up a repair request today on the DJI site but I wanted to see what you guys thought.  I think there was some kind of total power loss or battery failure.  The flight log in the DJI Go App just stops at about 138 ft in the air.  I recovered the Phantom about 80-100 ft further south from that point.  Major damage was done to the camera/gimble, one prop busted off, some cracking and minor shell separation also occurred.  The battery was ejected and right beside the aircraft.  I was recording video at the time but it stops just short of it losing control and descending.  Here is the flight log from HealthyDrones.  The main thing that jujmps out to me is the voltage deviation in battery cell 4.  Do you think DJI will cover replacement or repair?  In other threads I see a lot of mention of batteries not being seated properly but I have no reason to believe it was that and I don't think there is anyway of truly knowing if that is the case.

Also, I didn't see any link to upload the video for my claim and was wondering if I should get that sent to DJI?
2017-3-15
Use props
Commodon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 347677 ft
United States

Re: "Here is the flight log from HealthyDrones". I am not seeing this.
2017-3-15
Use props
Delindz13
lvl.1

United States

Commodon Posted at 2017-3-15 10:39
Re: "Here is the flight log from HealthyDrones". I am not seeing this.

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=qNzfYW

Sorry about that.  I tend to forget to actually include links or attachments.
2017-3-15
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

I would also upload your data to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

It will give more information for everyone to glance over..
2017-3-15
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

The only thing I think is weird about this log is the amount of data there is for your voltages.. Mine only shows when there is a power draw, your cell deviation is normal though.. Your log is showing events when there isn't any power draw.. Anyways, check out the previous link I sent you..
2017-3-15
Use props
Delindz13
lvl.1

United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-15 10:52
I would also upload your data to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

It will give more information for everyone to glance over..

Do you just need the link showing the map and data after I upload it or an export of the CSV or KML?
2017-3-15
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

I went ahead and looked at your data.. there is nothing in it to indicate any issues.. It just ends.. DJI will probably have more insight into what happened.. .your video file, was it completely intact?? When there is a power failure, the file isn't closed out properly.. Did you have any issues viewing the footage?
2017-3-15
Use props
Delindz13
lvl.1

United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-15 11:02
I went ahead and looked at your data.. there is nothing in it to indicate any issues.. It just ends.. DJI will probably have more insight into what happened.. .your video file, was it completely intact?? When there is a power failure, the file isn't closed out properly.. Did you have any issues viewing the footage?

When I initially put the SD card in the computer that video would not play.  Then I put it back into the Phantom and powered it on for a few seconds and I think that finalized the file.  After that the video would open but it ends before losing control.
2017-3-15
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

Actually haha I didn't download your data.. I had another window open with my own flight I just noticed I downloaded my data and looked at it.. Upload it at that link and check it out.. Share the CSV file if possible.
2017-3-15
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-15 11:15
Actually haha I didn't download your data.. I had another window open with my own flight I just noticed I downloaded my data and looked at it.. Upload it at that link and check it out.. Share the CSV file if possible.

Sometimes, 4 hours of sleep isn't enough
2017-3-15
Use props
Delindz13
lvl.1

United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-15 11:15

See if this link works for the CSV
CSV
2017-3-15
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Delindz13 Posted at 2017-3-15 11:29
See if this link works for the CSV
CSV

Nothing to see in there, send the P4 in to DJI for them to analyse the aircraft logs, my guess is that they will replace it. (Contact DJI support first.)

Maybe extract a copy of the aircraft log yourself using DJI Assistant 2 just in case it gets lost somehow.

In future a link to the phantomhelp page would be better than a csv file link, easy enough to get the csv file from the phantomhelp page, or whichever other file you want, or just look at it on phantomhelp - people know how to do that.
2017-3-15
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

That worked, and from what I can see there isn't anything abnormal.. The fact that you couldn't read the card at first though does make it seem like power was interrupted somehow. How old is it? Is it still under warranty? This is my biggest fear is that it will just fall out of the sky for no apparent reason..
2017-3-15
Use props
Delindz13
lvl.1

United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-3-15 11:44
Nothing to see in there, send the P4 in to DJI for them to analyse the aircraft logs, my guess is that they will replace it. (Contact DJI support first.)

Maybe extract a copy of the aircraft log yourself using DJI Assistant 2 just in case it gets lost somehow.

Thanks for the tip.  Here is a link if anyone else would like to see the report from PhantonHelp: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/5URC1NZX05L10DKOL28G/

I copied all of the DAT files and text files earlier.  I'll probably be shipping it off to DJI at the end of the week.
2017-3-15
Use props
Delindz13
lvl.1

United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-15 11:46
That worked, and from what I can see there isn't anything abnormal.. The fact that you couldn't read the card at first though does make it seem like power was interrupted somehow. How old is it? Is it still under warranty? This is my biggest fear is that it will just fall out of the sky for no apparent reason..

Yea I believe it is still under warranty.  It was purchased June 2016.
2017-3-15
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I can't see anything unusual in that log, but out of interest as you use sport mode and it is a reasonable age, how many miles has it flown?

I see you had a low usage battery in it, is that new or an original spare that has been sitting around a lot?
2017-3-15
Use props
WA5TEF
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124672 ft
United States

Be careful what you send them.  I'd just send the phantom with camera and gimbal.  No battery or props or controller.  You'll probably get a refurb unit so be prepared.
Good luck, keep us posted.
Jim
2017-3-15
Use props
Delindz13
lvl.1

United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-3-15 12:21
I can't see anything unusual in that log, but out of interest as you use sport mode and it is a reasonable age, how many miles has it flown?

I see you had a low usage battery in it, is that new or an original spare that has been sitting around a lot?

I don't know the exact miles or hours put on it.  It was a company purchase and we our planning to begin operating commercially in 2017, but I don't think that it has been used all that much.  Recently I've been flying it a couple of times a week.  That battery is an original spare and it was used and fully charged earlier in the day.  
2017-3-15
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197779 ft
United States

Delindz13 Posted at 2017-3-15 11:57
Yea I believe it is still under warranty.  It was purchased June 2016.

Delindz13,

I also experienced a complete power failure on Feb.11 of this year. Mine was due to a faulty ultrasonic sensor malfunction. Whether yours is related will certainly have to be determined. However, DJI did replace mine under their warranty. If you would like to refer to the thread I started after the incident, please follow this link:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-84639-1-1.html
2017-3-15
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Delindz13 Posted at 2017-3-15 12:29
I don't know the exact miles or hours put on it.  It was a company purchase and we our planning to begin operating commercially in 2017, but I don't think that it has been used all that much.  Recently I've been flying it a couple of times a week.  That battery is an original spare and it was used and fully charged earlier in the day.

Ahh, most cases I've seen of them falling out of the sky for no obvious reason like that have been in their first few flights, or at least the first three weeks of use, yours seemed a bit unusual, but maybe it's not unusual if it hasn't been used much.  
2017-3-15
Use props
george_007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 183045 ft
Sweden

Could the battery been not inserted properly and maybe came loose during the flight?
That would explain the sudden power loss.
2017-3-15
Use props
Delindz13
lvl.1

United States

Can someone from DJI explain the status of my case: CAS-510230-J9S8P1

I just received an email from DJI stating it has been evaluated and they will email an invoice in 2 to 3 days.   When I login and check on the website there is no new information related to the case.  I would like to know if it was a malfunction and if DJI is going to repair or replace it without cost.
2017-3-29
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

Delindz13 Posted at 2017-3-29 07:41
Can someone from DJI explain the status of my case: CAS-510230-J9S8P1

I just received an email from DJI stating it has been evaluated and they will email an invoice in 2 to 3 days.   When I login and check on the website there is no new information related to the case.  I would like to know if it was a malfunction and if DJI is going to repair or replace it without cost.

Give it a few while they update their systems. I got my invoice on the same day even though they said that it would take a few days.. You will see it soon..
2017-3-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules