Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Found a Phantom 3 Advanced
2574 25 2017-3-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tegrpk
New

United States

I recently found a drone while out working in the forest. There is no contact information on the drone; is there any way to find the owner with the serial number on the unit? I want to do my due diligence locating the owner before I decide how to proceed. Thanks.
2017-3-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

If theres a FAA (or the Canadian variation) ID number written in plain view on the shell, you may be able to look it up the owner from there. In addition, some people have turned it in to their local authorities, in case the owner filed a police report.
2017-3-15
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Thank you for your honesty. The correct procedure would be to hand the drone to the police. Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to find an owner, as DJI do not reveal who their aircraft are registered to.
2017-3-15
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Where in the country do you live? Alberta here. Can you look and try to find a micro SD card in the drone?  
Play it back on your computer and see if there are any pics or video, identifying known individuals or landmarks in your vicinity.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You might check the SD card.  Sometimes there is info on there.  Thanks for your efforts.
Edit:  Nevermind, RHP beat me to it
2017-3-16
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-16 02:24
You might check the SD card.  Sometimes there is info on there.  Thanks for your efforts.
Edit:  Nevermind, RHP beat me to it

I can appreciate your honesty, I think I would be the same way. Some individual is probably feeling pretty sick right now for losing their drone. Like the others, look to see if anything is on the SD-card that might help you identify anyone or anything that would help. I guess if it was me, I might go so far a putting a small description in my local newspaper...maybe lost and found or something. If someone comes forward it surely has some identifying marks in it. If nobody claims it after 30-days or so, I would consider it yours. That is just my thoughts.
2017-3-16
Use props
fans3d7e60a1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1555344 ft
United States

I would also post on Phantom Pilots.com, did you take out the battery and see if they put contact info there?
2017-3-16
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

If the owner didn't put anything on the Phantom to identify himself, then it would seem to imply the owner wasn't much  concerned about getting it back and it is not your obligation to become a detective working to hunt him or her down.

With no markings, most would probably just keep it.  And I wouldn't blame them.

I would say turn it over to the Police.  And after a waiting period, if not claimed it should become yours.
However, it will probably become some policeman's toy once you do unless you have an exceptionally transparent police department.

2017-3-16
Use props
#shotxclvck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3423297 ft
United States

Cessna172 Posted at 2017-3-16 07:47
If the owner didn't put anything on the Phantom to identify himself, then it would seem to imply the owner wasn't much  concerned about getting it back and it is not your obligation to become a detective working to hunt him or her down.

With no markings, most would probably just keep it.  And I wouldn't blame them.

hope i dont lose anything around this guy!
2017-3-16
Use props
Tegrpk
New

United States

No FAA number or contact information, only serial numbers.
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Tegrpk Posted at 2017-3-16 14:36
No FAA number or contact information, only serial numbers.

Did you Infact find the micro sd card, to check for identifying pics or video?

Do you know where to look, for the memory card?

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
Tegrpk
New

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 14:40
Did you Infact find the micro sd card, to check for identifying pics or video?

Do you know where to look, for the memory card?

No SD card either, checked the online manual for its location on the drone. Plugged it into my computer too and it did nothing.
2017-3-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

2017-3-16
Use props
Tegrpk
New

United States

I know where it is and how to take out an SD card, I am not some luddite; it simply is not there.
2017-3-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

It is just very unusual for someone to fly without a card in place. The photo was just a guide in case you had missed it.
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Tegrpk Posted at 2017-3-16 16:01
No SD card either, checked the online manual for its location on the drone. Plugged it into my computer too and it did nothing.

Did you try with the drone turned on, when you plugged it into your home computer?

I'm surprised there was no sd card in it too.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
Tegrpk
New

United States

I did try it with the drone on, nothing. I would think you would have an SD card in one of these things too being how cheap the cards are these days. I am really at a loss at what to do here, been looking at dedicated drone forums and local lost & founds too; not sure I want to deal with the police but I may have to.
2017-3-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Maybe see who the local DJI Agent is in the area and see if they have a record of selling that serial number.
DJI could also interogate the internal logs and may be able to find some information. It is likeley the early logs would be a local flight by the owner.

Really good of you making the effort. Many people would have just asked how much a controller, charger and props would have cost.
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Yup, very admirable of you to make an attempt in finding the rightful owner. Even if he didn't take the proper steps to have it returned if lost 'n found.
Because he lacked the reasonably expected responsibility of a respectable pilot, in putting any identifying numbers in the drone.

No name, MAAC number, of even a logical cell number, incase of a loss, such as like this.

Will we soon, be seeing this drone, for sale on eBay? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
Tegrpk
New

United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 18:49
Yup, very admirable of you to make an attempt in finding the rightful owner. Even if he didn't take the proper steps to have it returned if lost 'n found.
Because he lacked the reasonably expected responsibility of a respectable pilot, in putting any identifying numbers in the drone.

Well, after a reasonable effort to find the owner and amount of time lapsed since found I may just end up keeping the thing; still undecided though.
2017-3-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Tegrpk Posted at 2017-3-16 19:33
Well, after a reasonable effort to find the owner and amount of time lapsed since found I may just end up keeping the thing; still undecided though.

I would find out what the laws were concerning found property. The old saying "Finders keepers Losers weepers" does not have a legal pedigree.
2017-3-16
Use props
Moondog
New

United States

I don't recall you mentioning where you found the Phantom, but if there's a chance it was Birmingham, AL it might be one of mind. I've lost two.
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

There are places to post lost and found drones.
http://findmydrone.info

http://www.phantompilots.com/forums/lost-and-found.109

Where are you located?
http://www.kijiji.ca/b-lost-and- ... t-drone/k0c120l9004
http://www.kijiji.ca/b-lost-and- ... ones/k0c120l1700275

RedHotPoker

2017-3-16
Use props
endotherm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

The internal flight logs should show you the last few flights, perhaps there is a clue in there?  For example, was the home point consistently somebody's back yard?
2017-3-17
Use props
dbensonp
lvl.3
Flight distance : 968 ft
United States

I have my name, address and phone number on each battery just in case something like this happens hoping an honest person would find it.......
2017-3-17
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Yeah, shame on the person who didn't take the proper precautions to protect their investment. But, most of us learn from our mistakes. You have made a reasonable effort in my opinion to find the owner. Admirable thing to do. With that being said, I would just keep it if you have any interest in it. If not, surely you could donate it or offer to a friend, obviously they would have to buy a RC for it and some props or whatever. I would have to much remorse at this point if I were you. You have probably done more than most.
2017-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules