Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
NEW LAWS CANADA
123Next >
6836 102 2017-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Horus
lvl.2

Canada

Federal Minister of Transport Marc Garneau is imposing new restrictions on all recreational drone users in Canada, severely limiting the operation of unmanned aerial vehicles near people, buildings and airports.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/new-rules-for-flying-recreational-drones-in-canada-1.3327477
2017-3-16
Use props
Maxi3D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is the end. My only friend, the end.
2017-3-16
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Looks like the Majority suffering because of the Minority again.

I notice that no mention of any Canadian Model Flying Association in the discussions ................

At least here in Latvia - we have a body set up by the Aviation Authority that invited persons such as myself to join and others wih interest to participate. We are now working out the whole spektrum of use for all unmanned remote piloted air vehicles ... separating classes, type and risks. Trying to arrive at a sensible set of rules before 'blanket draconian' style such as the USA etc.

Nigel
2017-3-16
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187493 ft
Canada

The poorly written language of these rules do not restrict flying within urban areas or over structures, people or animals.  That's likely their intention, but they would fail when challenged in a court room.

As this is currently written, if you are flying at a height of 90 meters, you can fly over structures, people or animals provided they are not higher than 15 meters.  (Which would cover almost everything but structures higher than four stories) You are abiding by the rules.

They 9km airport rule is more clear as it states "closer than 9 km from the center of an aerodrome (any airport, heliport, seaplane base or anywhere that aircraft take-off and land)"

2017-3-16
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

We do have laws in Taiwan that do restrict heights in Taipei City to 60m and areas you cannot fly.  However I am very lucky that where I live I can drone as I please. I hope Taiwan does not follow laws as they are in Canada.

Also I avoid areas where people especially tourists gather. As I generally fly out over steep mountain drop offs for sure no people under my flight path.  But when they do they are usually looking at my phone.  A couple of days ago when I tool my Sunset video above the clouds a couple was watching. I told the husband I was flying a drone 500m up above where we were standing, above the clouds and about 1.5km out from the place I launched.  His wife is, hubby lets jump in the car and go there to get some photos. Hubby and I burst out laughing.  I asked her if her car could fly but she didn't get it.  She thought I meant she could get the same pictures 1.5km away down the road lol which would have been another 300m below where my drone was.  Her husband then explained to her slowly I was flying a a drone to get the video.  I really believe she didn't know what a drone was till I landed it.
2017-3-16
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187493 ft
Canada

i'm wrong... read the actual language in the interim order

at a lateral distance of less than 250 feet (75m) from buildings, structures, vehicles, vessels, animals and the public including spectators, bystanders or any person not associated with the operation of the aircraft;
2017-3-16
Use props
Draiter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39852 ft

Canada

Stupid idiots. Complete useless idiots.
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Draiter Posted at 2017-3-16 09:59
Stupid idiots. Complete useless idiots.

Are you referring to those who fly carelessly and often reckless, or of them who write these new regulations?

You might be a little more specific? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
Draiter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39852 ft

Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 12:14
Are you referring to those who fly carelessly and often reckless, or of them who write these new regulations?

You might be a little more specific? ;-)

Yes, that is who I am referring to.
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Draiter Posted at 2017-3-16 12:22
Yes, that is who I am referring to.

One or the other, perhaps both? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
Cessna172
lvl.4
United States

If the same hysteria was applied to teenage drivers.....there would not be a driver under 25 on Earth.

How many people have been killed by hobby drones?

Texting drivers and drunk drivers kill over 100,000 annually in the USA alone.
But.....Let's have $30,000 fines for flying a drone but only a $10,000 fine for the worst drunk driving (after multiple arrests) and no substantial penalty at all against texting and driving......instead....Let's focus all our efforts on the drones why don't we?   There!   Our politicians at work making us all so safe!
2017-3-16
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

I read some posts here and wonder if I read the same article ??
2017-3-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-3-16 13:02
I read some posts here and wonder if I read the same article ??

It is clever as it "sounds" sensible but effectively makes flying in most areas illegal in Canada. For example in the Calgary area where can you fly which is not within 9km of a aerodrome?

Calgary_Landing_Areas.JPG
2017-3-16
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Flying your drone safely and legally
2017-3-16
Use props
timnwcove
lvl.3
Flight distance : 87428 ft
Canada

hypothetical question .........is a heli with a gopro mounted exempt from all those regs ?  what a shame to target "drones" when i could go out and purchase another type of rc aircraft and maybe be exempt
2017-3-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

timnwcove Posted at 2017-3-16 14:10
hypothetical question .........is a heli with a gopro mounted exempt from all those regs ?  what a shame to target "drones" when i could go out and purchase another type of rc aircraft and maybe be exempt

Quoting from the regulations it says;

"how to fly a recreational drone (also called a model aircraft) "
So ....

2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

My answer to the regulations is simple. Join an RC flying club.
First we must belong to www.maac.ca, then join www.ercha.ca
Our club is on private property.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
Taydav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115328 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 14:34

But would soon tire of taking pictures of the same place over and over
2017-3-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Yes - It depends if your interest is flying or photography.
2017-3-16
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

Horrible law pandering to drone hysteria. In fact, one of the people quoted in the article cited "privacy" and preventing "people from spying on their neighbours" as reasons the law was needed. Also cited was the absurd hypothetical if "the (propeller) blade comes through his eye and blinds him." Just utter stupidity. It's just typical of the current government, though. They can't keep their campaign promise of electoral reform but, hey, here's a regressive, nanny state law based on ignorance and hysteria.
2017-3-16
Use props
Phantom 4 pro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21552 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 14:34

Do I have to pay to join MAAC ?
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Taydav Posted at 2017-3-16 16:05
But would soon tire of taking pictures of the same place over and over

What makes you think that? Quite the contrary actually. I can take off from one of the three full sized launch pads and fly several miles away, in 360* of directions.  Pretty hard to get bored of our beautiful country sides. Especially from above, where you can see for miles and miles away. No never boring, or the same ol' same, for me. Plus with four distinct seasons, the landscape is constantly changing colour.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 17:57
What makes you think that? Quite the contrary actually. I can take off from one of the three full sized launch pads and fly several miles away, in 360* of directions.  Pretty hard to get bored of our beautiful country sides. Especially from above, where you can see for miles and miles away. No never boring, or the same ol' same, for me. Plus with four distinct seasons, the landscape is constantly changing colour.

Given that every second person in Canada flies a private aircraft or has a place for landing one, and given the wording of this stupid rule, that means anywhere, where are you going to fly?
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Phantom 4 pro Posted at 2017-3-16 17:49
Do I have to pay to join MAAC ?

Yes, your first time is $100, but all subsequent years are $75.
It's worth it, when you consider the liability insurance it provides you, if you should ever need it. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-16 18:01
Given that every second person in Canada flies a private aircraft or has a place for landing one, and given the wording of this stupid rule, that means anywhere, where are you going to fly?

Where did you get those stats? Every second person doesn't fly aircraft!! Haha

Canada is bigger than the United States and only 30M people.... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 18:23
Where did you get those stats? Every second person doesn't fly aircraft!! Haha

Canada is bigger than the United States and only 30M people.... ;-)

Every second? Hahaha

It's more like two out of three but every family has a private airstrip or lake. You can tell the rich ones as they have gold plated taxi markers but that's only at about a quarter of the airstrips.
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-16 18:33
Every second? Hahaha

It's more like two out of three but every family has a private airstrip or lake. You can tell the rich ones as they have gold plated taxi markers but that's only at about a quarter of the airstrips.

I think you fellas have Canada mixed up with Heaven. Where everybody has wings.  All flyers, all the time.

No, there aren't landing strips in front of our homes. I don't own a lake, only a small stream. Hahaha

We have a lot of drivers up here, and everyone owns two cars, or three cell phones, but that's about it.

But I respect the humor, and did have a great laugh, reading these submissions.

As stated, a lot of restrictions are more for commercial drone operators, and don't really affect the rest if us. What remains most important to remember is using common sense. Something that is often lacking.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

"As stated, a lot of restrictions are more for commercial drone operators..."

FYI, the new rules specifically target "recreational drones." How do you conclude that they don't affect you?
2017-3-16
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Helipads and small airports have the same 9Km rule?
2017-3-16
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4

Australia

Callatis Posted at 2017-3-16 19:45
Helipads and small airports have the same 9Km rule?

Apparently so

"closer than nine km from the centre of an aerodrome (any airport, heliport, seaplane base or anywhere that aircraft take-off and land)"

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilavi ... safely-legally.html
2017-3-16
Use props
FFS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 50003 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Since this law basically makes it illegal to fly anywhere in Canada, and since our National Parks ban the use of drones altogether we basically can't fly anywhere. That said, I will continue to fly safe, but now more covertly with my quickly deployed Mavic. These rules are draconian and I will not abide.
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-3-16 19:06
"As stated, a lot of restrictions are more for commercial drone operators..."

FYI, the new rules specifically target "recreational drones." How do you conclude that they don't affect you?

I fly mostly at a private RC Heli park. Or in an abandoned airplane hangar.
Both sanctioned by www.maac.ca & those rules don't apply to us.

Same goes for my night flights. If I'm taking off, while on private property, no one cares.

We only have one airport in the capital city, but it's twenty miles outside the city.

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Taiwan

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 22:11
I fly mostly at a private RC Heli park. Or in an abandoned airplane hangar.
Both sanctioned by www.maac.ca & those rules don't apply to us.

The laws still affect you, as they basically confine you. Try flying anywhere other than that heli park. Being largely confined to certain areas is no replacement for freedom and there's no good reason for the restriction besides, even if that is where you like to fly. Whether gilded or not, a cage is still a cage. It would also be interesting to see if the height restrictions and night flight rules still apply to the place you fly, given that that the airspace above it is likely federal jurisdiction. Either way, it's really a shame that Canada would bring in such regressive legislation. It all but bans hobby drones. I like what someone said on FB: "A goose would cause more damage to a passenger aircraft than a UAV. Let's ban geese!"
2017-3-16
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

As in read it - belonging to the recognized body allows you to fly - where they have facility.

Like everything when  Govt imposed regs - people read what they think they see and often over-react.

The need now is for the national model body to make representation and discuss with Govt depot. ways to sort.

One of the biggest problems as I see it - many reports of 'drones' near aircraft turn out to be false or highly suspect. An aircraft coming into land has little time to identify a 'drone' let alone be certain its one. I know from various 'sightings' in UK that get into media turn out to be media adds the word 'drone' ... its the 'word' of the day.

But let's not get away from the fact - there are stupid people who will fly their 'drone' in totally unsuitable locations. I have to admit myself - even after more than 50yrs model flying - I look at places for possibility to fly the P3S and then pull back ... thinking Hey maybe not such a great idea. Imagine the new guy who never had model before .....

Sunday - I will be flying large, medium and small RC aircraft and my P3S at an airfield that has active full size. One of our guys actually has his full size there. We keep contact and mix fully without incident. Just takes common sense. Its an ex Soviet front line Fighter Station ... with a Mig15 sitting just inside the entrance .....

So question remains ---- with the new rules in Canada - What about if you call local airfield and they say permission to fly ?

Nigel
2017-3-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-3-16 22:44
The laws still affect you, as they basically confine you. Try flying anywhere other than that heli park. Being largely confined to certain areas is no replacement for freedom and there's no good reason for the restriction besides, even if that is where you like to fly. Whether gilded or not, a cage is still a cage. It would also be interesting to see if the height restrictions and night flight rules still apply to the place you fly, given that that the airspace above it is likely federal jurisdiction. Either way, it's really a shame that Canada would bring in such regressive legislation. It all but bans hobby drones. I like what someone said on FB: "A goose would cause more damage to a passenger aircraft than a UAV. Let's ban geese!"

The heli field is already essentially out in the country. For adventure, there are thousands of acres of Crown Land in Alberta. Some of the most pristine wilderness you have ever seen. For me, the best explorations never seem to end, finding my favorite places, I haven't even been to yet. . .
If you can't get away, follow the guidelines...
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/drone-safety.html

RedHotPoker
2017-3-16
Use props
timnwcove
lvl.3
Flight distance : 87428 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-3-16 17:57

how can you now fly miles away when you have to be within 500m of your drone ?   
2017-3-17
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5291158 ft
  • >>>
Canada

FFS Posted at 2017-3-16 20:09
Since this law basically makes it illegal to fly anywhere in Canada, and since our National Parks ban the use of drones altogether we basically can't fly anywhere. That said, I will continue to fly safe, but now more covertly with my quickly deployed Mavic. These rules are draconian and I will not abide.

None could abide by these rules even if they tried.
2017-3-17
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Again, the government has made implantation without putting much thought into it. There was also a claim that the number of drone incidents were on the rise. Where ? How come I didn't hear anything about this, despite the fact I go through most drone forums everyday. Ontario had two incursions of large US drones near Ottawa and Toronto. Are they counted against me when flying my P4?

Someone has to pick up the ball on this and get the rules within reason.

I have hundreds of safe flying hours, all flown with respect for man, beast and property. Regretfully, I cannot see how these enforceable rules, as written, are an improvement. Unthinking idiots are going to do whatever they want anyway.  Should have been left as recommendations.

The drone trolls are going to have a great summer.
2017-3-17
Use props
JW5255
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Being intimately familiar with the Canadian Air Regulations, making up arbitrary drone usage laws may be outside Transport's mandate especially when in applies to devices with limited flight time, limited distance capabilities and respect for ground traffic dynamics.  Agreed, all aircraft, including drones, should respect the existing air regulations and control zones, however, it is the drone pilot that has to make the final call with respect to safe flying.
2017-3-17
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Unthinking idiots are going to do whatever they want anyway.  Should have been left as recommendations.

But that doesn't help anyone.

There's always a misconception of rules and regulations by most people. Technically Rules and Regs are there to put a limit on activity. To state what is legal and what is not.

Once you have that concept and rule in hand - then the Idiot can be prosecuted. That's it in a nutshell.

Like most activities in life - sensible, safe use is usually accepted EVEN WHEN it breaks the rules. The fact is the Rule is there when needed.

Thousands of flyers around the world are flying OUT OF LINE OF SIGHT .... but who gets prosecuted ? Thousands are flying higher / further / inside restricted zones .... but who gets prosecuted ? None because they are flying sensibly and safely well aware of the risks and need for care. But the rules are there if something goes wrong etc.

Nigel
2017-3-17
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules