Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 crash for unknown reason
1234Next >
17839 124 2017-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans642211d4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1673835 ft
Czechia

Inspire 2 crash

Inspire 2 crash

Hi guys. Today I was flying with my I2. Although there was i bit windy day everything went smooth but suddenly my I2 started spinning and crashed hard on the tarmac from 145 m. I2 and X5S both are beyond repair. Is here anyone with such unpleasant experience?
Have no idea what happened, video record is broken. The only thing comes to me is that one of the propeller gave of.
All four props roots were on motors but I did not find one of the blades on the crash site.
I sent the bird back to DJI and now I am waiting for their reaction.

Here is a copy from the flight log:
## 10:46:35
Satellite positioning off. Fly with Caution.
## 10:46:52 Obstacle Avoidance Disabled.
Landing gear lowered. Obstacle Avoidance Disabled.
## 10:46:53
Landing Gear Raising
## 10:46:59
Landing Gear Raised
## 10:47:41
Large Wind Velocity. Fly with caution.
## 10:51:35
Gimbal Roll reached the end position
## 10:51:37
Gimbal Yaw reached the end position
## 10:51:37
## 10:51:39
Gimbal Pitch reached the end position
## 10:51:40
## 10:51:41
## 10:51:42
## 10:51:43
## 10:51:44
## 10:51:44
## 10:51:46
## 10:51:49
## 10:57:46
Landing Gear Lowered
## 10:58:07
Aircraft Tilting. Check for Damage.
## 10:58:09
Motor Obstructed
## 10:59:02
## 10:59:07

2017-3-16
Use props
I 2 Fly
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

Darn...  very worrying!  Hold thumbs for you....
2017-3-16
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hi, I had the same IDENTICAL experience a few days ago. Same kind of errors. Same spinning, etc. I2 Crashed just like yours. I don't think it was a broken propeller, but rather a locked motor, or the gimball going nuts. I was able to regain control a couple of times, hence not the propeller, then it finally gave up once the landing gear lowered.
Check my crash at:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D385%26typeid%3D385
So far complete silence on DJI's part. They've had my drone since the 7th of March...
I noticed the motor obstructed on yours, as well as landing gear lowered, which is when my I2 tilted on one side and smashed into the ground, although, as I said above, up until then I had two spinning incidents with all the gimball errors as well (Same crash flight)
2017-3-16
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

My log...It stops recording before the crash itself, at 35ft:
A        00m 00s        0.0 ft        0 ft        Mode        Mode changed to Motors_Started
B        00m 01s        0.0 ft        0 ft        Mode        Mode changed to Assisted_Takeoff
C        00m 07s        0.0 ft        1 ft        Mode        Mode changed to GPS_Atti
D        00m 07s        0.7 ft        1 ft        Tip        Home Point Recorded. RTH Altitude:  80m.
E        00m 12s        26.2 ft        1 ft        Warning        Landing gear lowered.Obstacle Avoidance Disabled.
F        01m 21s        334.6 ft        386 ft        Mode        Mode changed to Sport
G        02m 40s        336.0 ft        1,505 ft        Warning        Gimbal Roll Reached Movement Limit
H        03m 06s        334.0 ft        2,403 ft        Mode        Mode changed to GPS_Atti
I        08m 08s        72.8 ft        2 ft        Mode        Mode changed to Sport
J        09m 16s        378.6 ft        296 ft        Mode        Mode changed to GPS_Atti
K        09m 35s        338.9 ft        296 ft        Tip        Tips__Gimbal is reaching movement limit. Aircraft will turn a circle to release.
L        09m 41s        403.5 ft        295 ft        Warning        Gimbal Roll Reached Movement Limit
M        09m 42s        414.7 ft        295 ft        Warning        Gimbal Pitch Reached Movement Limit
N        09m 43s        428.5 ft        296 ft        Warning        Gimbal Roll Reached Movement Limit
O        09m 44s        450.8 ft        296 ft        Warning        Gimbal Pitch Reached Movement Limit
P        09m 46s        458.0 ft        295 ft        Warning        Gimbal Pitch Reached Movement Limit
Q        09m 47s        444.9 ft        297 ft        Warning        Gimbal Pitch Reached Movement Limit
R        09m 48s        449.8 ft        296 ft        Warning        Gimbal Yaw Reached End Point
S        09m 49s        461.6 ft        296 ft        Warning        Gimbal Pitch Reached Movement Limit
T        10m 21s        124.7 ft        85 ft        Warning        Landing gear lowered.Obstacle Avoidance Disabled.
U        10m 28s        71.2 ft        39 ft        Warning        Gimbal Roll Reached Movement Limit
V        10m 30s        55.4 ft        35 ft        Warning        Gimbal Pitch Reached Movement Limit
2017-3-16
Use props
Paradog
lvl.1

United States

Wow, you guys are scaring me of even wanting a I2 as you all seem quite able to know things I only wish I knew about these UAVs.   It's starting to sound like a guy may want to just fly a P4Pro, or am I being too hrs harsh with that remark?   An please do say what you honestly feel too, cuz my wife would neverrrrrrrr  stop the nagging of spending 6k just to have it fly on its own an crash.  Yep, I should have never married her, the nastiest woman I've ever known.  But she's a awesome cook, an she did save my life in a sense.  Sorry, just the truth.  After you guys have experienced these problems an not getting any info from DJI would you or do you now wish you didn't buy the inspire 2?   Appreciate any thoughts very much. Thanks Ty
2017-3-16
Use props
fans642211d4
lvl.2
Czechia

Elektrica Posted at 2017-3-16 11:34
Hi, I had the same IDENTICAL experience a few days ago. Same kind of errors. Same spinning, etc. I2 Crashed just like yours. I don't think it was a broken propeller, but rather a locked motor, or the gimball going nuts. I was able to regain control a couple of times, hence not the propeller, then it finally gave up once the landing gear lowered.
Check my crash at:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=87299&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D385%26typeid%3D385

Thanks for your reply. It looks like same story. Poor you. I am curious if they replace the drone ant the camera. I am seriously considering to report it to our authorities (something like NTSB). I am afraid I2 are potentially pretty danger.
2017-3-16
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Paradog Posted at 2017-3-16 13:38
Wow, you guys are scaring me of even wanting a I2 as you all seem quite able to know things I only wish I knew about these UAVs.   It's starting to sound like a guy may want to just fly a P4Pro, or am I being too hrs harsh with that remark?   An please do say what you honestly feel too, cuz my wife would neverrrrrrrr  stop the nagging of spending 6k just to have it fly on its own an crash.  Yep, I should have never married her, the nastiest woman I've ever known.  But she's a awesome cook, an she did save my life in a sense.  Sorry, just the truth.  After you guys have experienced these problems an not getting any info from DJI would you or do you now wish you didn't buy the inspire 2?   Appreciate any thoughts very much. Thanks Ty

I would still buy it, I am sure they're working on existing issues as fast as they can
2017-3-16
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

fans642211d4 Posted at 2017-3-16 13:44
Thanks for your reply. It looks like same story. Poor you. I am curious if they replace the drone ant the camera. I am seriously considering to report it to our authorities (something like NTSB). I am afraid I2 are potentially pretty danger.

The Karma seemed like a real living danger. I am sure that this will be fixed, if it hasn't already. DJI seems to kn ow what they're doing, with some issues here and there. I still love the I2 and all of their products.
I own P4P, a few Mavics, Osmo(s), Ronin, Inspire 1, P4, etc. Apple makes mistakes...They all make mistakes, look at Samsung!
2017-3-16
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 921693 ft
United States

I would say that gimbal definitely reached its end point
2017-3-16
Use props
fans642211d4
lvl.2
Czechia

thomasakira Posted at 2017-3-16 14:32

Yes, this is the ultimate answer to life the universe and everything
2017-3-16
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Wonder why the Motor Obstructed was issued?  Could the wind have been so bad it actually froze the prop for an instant to cause that warning?  If the prop blew off, I wouldn't think it would show obstructed.  Puzzling.  

Good luck!
2017-3-16
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We feel deeply sorry for your crash, since you've sent it in , may we have your case number so that we can follow up the case for you? Thanks.
2017-3-16
Use props
Whiz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 13750 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just picked up an I2 w/x4s and took it out today for its first test flight...You guys are now Freaking me out!
2017-3-16
Use props
fans413ab842
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61860 ft
  • >>>
United States

thomasakira Posted at 2017-3-16 14:32

I wonder if enabling QuickSpin could somehow be contributing to this issue? As cool as it is, It scares the crap out of me to see my aircraft spin like that when the gimbal reaches the movement limit and the QuickSpin feature is enabled.  I think I will disable my QuickSpin issue for now until I read more updates regarding this issue...
2017-3-16
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

fans413ab842 Posted at 2017-3-16 23:08
I wonder if enabling QuickSpin could somehow be contributing to this issue? As cool as it is, It scares the crap out of me to see my aircraft spin like that when the gimbal reaches the movement limit and the QuickSpin feature is enabled.  I think I will disable my QuickSpin issue for now until I read more updates regarding this issue...

I thought about that, and I don't particularly like the feature, but I don't think that was the ultimate cause of failure, as I regained control of the craft a couple of times and the quickspin was not involved anymore.

On another note, I keep trying to figure out why in case of 1 prop failure, the software does NOT turn a 2nd prop, opposite, off as well and possibly switch to SPORT Mode. I think some drones could sustain lift with 2 opposite props (Same color) on. The I2, for example, have been seen lifting 8kg with 4 props.

Even if it could not sustain flight with 2 props in sport mode, it might be able to allow for a controlled descent.

I cannot seem to find a reasonable answer to this question, except my friend, an aeronautical engineer that says that this should be logical on a quad props drone.
2017-3-17
Use props
Electro-Nick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

The torque of a motor requires a counter-torque to stop the drone spinning (same as a heli needs a tail rotor or duct). If it loses one motor, then in theory, to balance the torque, it would need to shutdown a motor that counter-rotates against it. If it did that, it would not be a diagonally opposite motor as they rotate in the same direction, so it would need to do one at right angles to it.

If it did that,it wouldn't spin, but.... one side of the quad would have no lift and would tip the quad on its side. That would then remove any lift from the remaining two motors and it would crash.

That's basically why the only drones with redundancy from motor loss are either fixed wing, or hex or octas. With 6 or more motors, if a drone loses a motor the remaining motors can be adjusted to compensate for the loss of lift and the unbalanced torque and keep the drone flying.

There have been some demonstrations of quads being able to recover with the loss of a motor, but they've generally been small quads that have a uniform shape and a fairly equal balance of weight. The quad stays airborne, but spins, but the spin is partially controlled to give some reduced flying ability.
2017-3-17
Use props
I 2 Fly
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

Paradog Posted at 2017-3-16 13:38

"Yep, I should have never married her, the nastiest woman I've ever known."

Sorry to hear about your wife.  Can we have your case number to look into it?  After the investigation (AND SPEAKING TO HER) we will inform you that it was / is your fault!
2017-3-17
Use props
Fly2017
lvl.3
Russia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-16 20:33
We feel deeply sorry for your crash, since you've sent it in , may we have your case number so that we can follow up the case for you? Thanks.

Dear DJI representative:

Could you please explain what was going wrong during operation of new inspire 2 that could be affected the drone crash.

It really looks as danger for operation...(

I am sure that I am not along who wants to know this

2017-3-17
Use props
skypal
Second Officer
Flight distance : 560256 ft
Germany

fans413ab842 Posted at 2017-3-16 23:08

I think thats a good idea. I'll do the same.
2017-3-17
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Whiz Posted at 2017-3-16 20:58
I just picked up an I2 w/x4s and took it out today for its first test flight...You guys are now Freaking me out!

You are fine , just make sure that you check the props are on tight for every flight and make sure you fly with batteries at full charge for every flight .  If you notice something not right , Land Immediatly  and if not sure send it in for evaluation .

have fun

donnie
2017-3-17
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

Elektrica Posted at 2017-3-17 01:10
I thought about that, and I don't particularly like the feature, but I don't think that was the ultimate cause of failure, as I regained control of the craft a couple of times and the quickspin was not involved anymore.

On another note, I keep trying to figure out why in case of 1 prop failure, the software does NOT turn a 2nd prop, opposite, off as well and possibly switch to SPORT Mode. I think some drones could sustain lift with 2 opposite props (Same color) on. The I2, for example, have been seen lifting 8kg with 4 props.

The aircraft on this configuration and weight would never be able to fly on 2 propellers .  In a say 6 or 8 bladed configuration , you may be able to loose one  motor and land but not with the Inspire set up .
Your friend who is an aeronautical engineer must think this is a  different configuration ......I  hope so anyway .

donnie
2017-3-17
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-3-17 05:53
The aircraft on this configuration and weight would never be able to fly on 2 propellers .  In a say 6 or 8 bladed configuration , you may be able to loose one  motor and land but not with the Inspire set up .
Your friend who is an aeronautical engineer must think this is a  different configuration ......I  hope so anyway .

Donnie, it might not fly right or enough to stay up in the air, but could two alternate props at least cause it to come down without tumbling and crashing on an arm?  Landing gear could take a lot of the blow (or hand catch), but maybe it wouldn't result in major damage to the sides or top.

Just wondering...
2017-3-17
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
First Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-3-17 06:56
Donnie, it might not fly right or enough to stay up in the air, but could two alternate props at least cause it to come down without tumbling and crashing on an arm?  Landing gear could take a lot of the blow (or hand catch), but maybe it wouldn't result in major damage to the sides or top.

Just wondering...

No.. There wouldn't be enough power to maintain any type of flight control..
2017-3-17
Use props
fans4f8954b4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18275925 ft
  • >>>
France

Quickspin enable is a dangerous setup for our machine in my opinion, i tried it and saw the spin speed and was very scary. Also when he do this spin you can see the legs on the camera, even if the camera is tilt down.
2017-3-17
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
United States

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2017-3-17 07:19
No.. There wouldn't be enough power to maintain any type of flight control..

This video shows 3 props can control the bird to an extent to land safely.

2017-3-17
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-3-17 08:46

Maybe on this type of quadcopter but I think the weight of the Inspire would be to much for just three motors .  It may be possible but I sure dont want to test the theory !!

And I also was respondong to one of the posters who suggested that when you loose one motor the opposite one should shut down as well, so the flight would be with only two motors, to me this would be just about impossible  to have have enough lift let alone any type of contol .  

Interesting video though , thanks for sharing.  

donnie

2017-3-17
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
First Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-3-17 08:46

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0FrCaogcs&feature=youtu.be

That's with three and it has to have a power to weight ratio that would get you about 5mins flights times on this type of setup
2017-3-17
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
First Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

## 10:58:09 Motor Obstructed  Frozen motor???
2017-3-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Fly2017 Posted at 2017-3-17 03:37
Dear DJI representative:

Could you please explain what was going wrong during operation of new inspire 2 that could be affected the drone crash.

We would need to see the results of the repair evaluation to know what happened for sure.
2017-3-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Elektrica Posted at 2017-3-16 11:34
Check my crash at:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=87299&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D385%26typeid%3D385

Could you happen to provide your case number to better follow up?
2017-3-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

I'm sorry to hear, have you had a chance to get in contact with the Support team to have the unit sent if for further evaluation and repair?
2017-3-17
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-17 13:24
Could you happen to provide your case number to better follow up?

Today I go a repair sheet. CAS-485393-W7H9Q5...
Everything is listed, except they forgot 2 rotors and 2 batteries that were sent back / crashed in the accident. The I2 also had a ProRes license that I assume will be transferred to the new unit.
Can you please check why the batteries were not listed?

Thanks
2017-3-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Elektrica Posted at 2017-3-17 16:13
Everything is listed, except they forgot 2 rotors and 2 batteries that were sent back / crashed in the accident. The I2 also had a ProRes license that I assume will be transferred to the new unit.

I'll bring this to the proper team to ensure they're addressed.
2017-3-17
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Thanks Jamie
2017-3-17
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-3-17 06:56

Just wondering...

It would be nice to see a test...
2017-3-17
Use props
Fly2017
lvl.3
Russia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-17 13:22
We would need to see the results of the repair evaluation to know what happened for sure.

Thenjs for reply... will wait the investigation result
2017-3-17
Use props
Skyclip
Second Officer
Flight distance : 347940 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Elektrica Posted at 2017-3-17 16:13

Any word from DJI about why the crash happend?
2017-3-18
Use props
Elektrica
Captain
  • >>>
Italy

Nothing yet, but now I am starting to think ESC...
2017-3-18
Use props
fans9592b04d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 529462 ft
United States

Its crazy that I found this post!!!  The exact same thing happened to me with my I2.  I sent it in for repair and they haven't even checked it into their system yet and its been like 10 business days.  

Not happy!!!  Want my inspire 2 back.  
2017-3-19
Use props
Andy Post
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1842283 ft
United States

I"d be interested to see where 10:59:02 "Motor Obstructed" happend in relation to the actual crash.  My bet would be that both the tilting and particularly the motor obstruction happened when it hit the ground.  So the motor was actually obstructed by the planet if you will.
2017-3-19
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules