Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 crash for unknown reason
1234Next >
17842 124 2017-3-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Andy Post
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1842283 ft
United States

I"d be interested to see where 10:59:02 "Motor Obstructed" happend in relation to the actual crash.  My bet would be that both the tilting and particularly the motor obstruction happened when it hit the ground.  So the motor was actually obstructed by the planet if you wil
2017-3-19
Use props
fans642211d4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1673835 ft
Czechia

Andy Post Posted at 2017-3-19 05:28
I"d be interested to see where 10:59:02 "Motor Obstructed" happend in relation to the actual crash.  My bet would be that both the tilting and particularly the motor obstruction happened when it hit the ground.  So the motor was actually obstructed by the planet if you wil

Yes. I think at that time the drone was already on the ground.
2017-3-19
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

fans642211d4 Posted at 2017-3-19 06:35
Yes. I think at that time the drone was already on the ground.

Since you have sent it to DJI, may we have your case number to help you follow up the process?
The case number looks like " CAS-XXXXXX-XXXXXX", truly appreciate for your support.
2017-3-19
Use props
dldp-sp
First Officer
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

So, what is everybody's feeling that the quick spin option to unwind the gimbal may have been the cause of these two most recent crashes. Just curious what everybody thinks. I for one will be Turing mine off.

Regards,
Tom
2017-3-20
Use props
Dr Jon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

dldp-sp Posted at 2017-3-20 02:54
So, what is everybody's feeling that the quick spin option to unwind the gimbal may have been the cause of these two most recent crashes. Just curious what everybody thinks. I for one will be Turing mine off.

Regards,

Hi Tom, I have used it a few times and have had my doubt about the speed it performs the rotate. If it was done at half the speed it does it now i would have zero issues with it. You can actually hear the props throbbing as it rotates when if i perform it myself just using the yaw it never makes the same amount of noise.  I also think the first log report shows high gusts of wind which the I2 was having real issues with the gimbal report shows this was happening as one of the error reports was also saying.  

2017-3-20
Use props
fans642211d4
lvl.2
Czechia

dldp-sp Posted at 2017-3-20 02:54

Regards,

Hi Tom, my case has nothing to do with quick spin. This mode was not enabled and problems appeared when drone was pointing toward me in straight and leveled flight. The camera was coupled with drones direction.  
2017-3-20
Use props
fans642211d4
lvl.2
Czechia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-19 19:07
Since you have sent it to DJI, may we have your case number to help you follow up the process?
The case number looks like " CAS-XXXXXX-XXXXXX", truly appreciate for your support.

Hi Natalia, the number was sent to you by personal message. V.
2017-3-20
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans642211d4 Posted at 2017-3-20 03:41
Hi Natalia, the number was sent to you by personal message. V.

Thank you very much, I received it and have reported to our engineers.
2017-3-20
Use props
dldp-sp
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-3-20 03:15
Hi Tom, I have used it a few times and have had my doubt about the speed it performs the rotate. If it was done at half the speed it does it now i would have zero issues with it. You can actually hear the props throbbing as it rotates when if i perform it myself just using the yaw it never makes the same amount of noise.  I also think the first log report shows high gusts of wind which the I2 was having real issues with the gimbal report shows this was happening as one of the error reports was also saying.

I have also used it a few times and had no problems with it. I have noted the sound it gives and it rotates. Yesterday I did several tests at just a few feet off the ground turning the camera all the way around in both directions and it worked fine but, still a little nervous. Thanks for your input, Jon.

Regards,
Tom
2017-3-21
Use props
dldp-sp
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans642211d4 Posted at 2017-3-20 03:39
Hi Tom, my case has nothing to do with quick spin. This mode was not enabled and problems appeared when drone was pointing toward me in straight and leveled flight. The camera was coupled with drones direction.

Thanks for your input. Just a little nervous using quick spin.

Tom
2017-3-21
Use props
fans4f8954b4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18275925 ft
  • >>>
France

dldp-sp Posted at 2017-3-21 00:20
I have also used it a few times and had no problems with it. I have noted the sound it gives and it rotates. Yesterday I did several tests at just a few feet off the ground turning the camera all the way around in both directions and it worked fine but, still a little nervous. Thanks for your input, Jon.

Regards,

Also tried several times without any issues, but knowing that none of the inspires are the same in terms of fatigues transmitting to fuseladge by the stresses produced by this movements, some of them will brack  on the air. That way I stopped using this quick spin. Don't want taking any risks.
2017-3-21
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

fans4f8954b4 Posted at 2017-3-21 03:05
Also tried several times without any issues, but knowing that none of the inspires are the same in terms of fatigues transmitting to fuseladge by the stresses produced by this movements, some of them will brack  on the air. That way I stopped using this quick spin. Don't want taking any risks.

Interesting point.

The P3 had a lot of stress fractures on the frame around the motors.  Wonder if hard braking caused them and same issue with the I2 is occurring with fast-spin or even high speed operation and why DJI dialed it down too in the second versions over the original release which was marketed as being faster?

Does seem the I2 suffers from some resonant vibration issues which cannot be good overall.  If corrected in firmware, I can see them dialing down the performance quite a bit if the frame cannot be beefed up.

2017-3-21
Use props
fans4f8954b4
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-3-21 06:54
Interesting point.

The P3 had a lot of stress fractures on the frame around the motors.  Wonder if hard braking caused them and same issue with the I2 is occurring with fast-spin or even high speed operation and why DJI dialed it down too in the second versions over the original release which was marketed as being faster?

For all of us, who cares to his 6k machine, please don't push to the limit and don't trust with close eyes on this frame, small wick point on the production will become a désastre. Keep an eye on that and fly with precautions to save and justify our involvement.
2017-3-21
Use props
fans4f8954b4
Second Officer
  • >>>
France

Investment I wanted to say.
Also I wanted say that I consider myself as a lucky man with my I2, never had any problems, props, landing gear, battery or FW update , hope will stays for me and for all the members here.
2017-3-21
Use props
fans642211d4
lvl.2
Italy

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-20 04:53
Thank you very much, I received it and have reported to our engineers.

Dear Natalia. Are there any news in my crashed I2 case (CAS-497412-Y7Q7Z6)? My business is badly affected as I am not able to say single word to my customers. I will appreciate any info. Thanks.
2017-3-25
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans642211d4 Posted at 2017-3-25 09:27
Dear Natalia. Are there any news in my crashed I2 case (CAS-497412-Y7Q7Z6)? My business is badly affected as I am not able to say single word to my customers. I will appreciate any info. Thanks.

We do understand your feel, very sorry for the trouble.
I checked the system, "quality assessed" has been done, I think it will be shipped out soon, I'll keep an eye on it as well, hope you can receive it shortly.
2017-3-26
Use props
ScooterC5
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I think we would all like to know what DJI assessed as the cause for this incident if possible.  Thank you.
2017-3-26
Use props
EASYmap
lvl.2
Czechia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-3-26 19:23
We do understand your feel, very sorry for the trouble.
I checked the system, "quality assessed" has been done, I think it will be shipped out soon, I'll keep an eye on it as well, hope you can receive it shortly.

Thank you for info.
2017-3-26
Use props
EASYmap
lvl.2
Czechia

fans4f8954b4 Posted at 2017-3-21 08:43
Investment I wanted to say.
Also I wanted say that I consider myself as a lucky man with my I2, never had any problems, props, landing gear, battery or FW update , hope will stays for me and for all the members here.

I hope so and wish to everyone happy and safe flight. I have to say that except  this one I had no other problems with my I2. But this one was pretty big.
2017-3-26
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 914711 ft
United States

On a side note..  I've use the quick spin feature many times without a second thought until I started reading this thread.  I agree that the stress transferred to the air frame from the quick spinning / stopping action may not be good for my bird.  

I won't totally stop using the feature, but I will make sure to use it as little as possible.
2017-3-27
Use props
EASYmap
lvl.2
Czechia

MadFrenchie Posted at 2017-3-27 05:15
On a side note..  I've use the quick spin feature many times without a second thought until I started reading this thread.  I agree that the stress transferred to the air frame from the quick spinning / stopping action may not be good for my bird.  

I won't totally stop using the feature, but I will make sure to use it as little as possible.

Hi MadFrenchie. As I said it before: I newer used Quick spin function and crash has nothing to do with it. The problem must be somewhere else.
2017-3-27
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 914711 ft
United States

EASYmap Posted at 2017-3-27 13:36
Hi MadFrenchie. As I said it before: I newer used Quick spin function and crash has nothing to do with it. The problem must be somewhere else.

Oh I wasn't implying that quick spin caused your accident, sorry if it came off that way.   I was just commenting on those above who talked about using quick spin.

2017-3-28
Use props
Donald72
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4028425 ft
United States

I'm a newbie but I understand that when the gimbal reaches the endpoint in a given direction of rotation the aircraft will spin once in that direction to permit the camera to continue to turn in the indicated direction.  If the gimbal is somehow going haywire in a particular yaw direction that should cause the aircraft to spin once, right?  If the gimbal continues to receive command input to "turn" it will keep making the craft spin once each time that endpoint is reached, right?
2017-4-4
Use props
EASYmap
lvl.2
Czechia

Donald72 Posted at 2017-4-4 17:01
I'm a newbie but I understand that when the gimbal reaches the endpoint in a given direction of rotation the aircraft will spin once in that direction to permit the camera to continue to turn in the indicated direction.  If the gimbal is somehow going haywire in a particular yaw direction that should cause the aircraft to spin once, right?  If the gimbal continues to receive command input to "turn" it will keep making the craft spin once each time that endpoint is reached, right?

Hi Donald72. I think you understand perfectly. But as I mentioned before, the "Quickspin" feature was not enabled during critical flight. Actually it was newer enabled on my I2 at all.
2017-4-6
Use props
lolders
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

fans413ab842 Posted at 2017-3-16 23:08
I wonder if enabling QuickSpin could somehow be contributing to this issue? As cool as it is, It scares the crap out of me to see my aircraft spin like that when the gimbal reaches the movement limit and the QuickSpin feature is enabled.  I think I will disable my QuickSpin issue for now until I read more updates regarding this issue...

I was just thinking that!
2017-4-6
Use props
lolders
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Elektrica Posted at 2017-3-17 01:10
I thought about that, and I don't particularly like the feature, but I don't think that was the ultimate cause of failure, as I regained control of the craft a couple of times and the quickspin was not involved anymore.

On another note, I keep trying to figure out why in case of 1 prop failure, the software does NOT turn a 2nd prop, opposite, off as well and possibly switch to SPORT Mode. I think some drones could sustain lift with 2 opposite props (Same color) on. The I2, for example, have been seen lifting 8kg with 4 props.

OK, but were you using Quick Spin or not?
2017-4-6
Use props
lolders
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-17 13:22
We would need to see the results of the repair evaluation to know what happened for sure.

That is understandable, but please come back here and tell us what caused it... many commercial operators sitting here watching this, waiting for answers..
2017-4-6
Use props
lolders
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Elektrica Posted at 2017-3-18 03:38
Nothing yet, but now I am starting to think ESC...

sounds like an ESC bug to me with all these motor cold stops... hope they update them soon.
2017-4-6
Use props
lolders
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Elektrica Posted at 2017-3-18 03:38
Nothing yet, but now I am starting to think ESC...

but then you would think it would say "esc failure"
2017-4-6
Use props
Bitt3rsun
lvl.3
Flight distance : 189469 ft
Netherlands

A few day ago (24-04-2017) I also had the same experience with my Inspire 2! After taking off the landing gear automatically raised and I flew a few meters back, forth, up and down. Suddenly my Inspire begun spinning. First slowly and then fast. While spinning I checked if the tumb controller was not stuck. Besides up and down, I couldn’t do anything else. I was like not having the control anymore. The only thing I could do was flying at a height that was the most save for crashing. I tried to lower the lading gear, but I am not sure if that succeeded. This was the same moment the Inspire crashed.

I think that one of the propellor engines got stuck and causes a spinning affect. I never had such a horrible experience ever. Luckily this was at a height of 2-3 meters and I flew above a grass field, but never the less my X5S is not working any more, both the red engines are damaged, the camera mounting thing is broken and my Inspire is full of scratches. A lot of money just felled out of the sky!

This happend during my vacation in Iceland....!

My Inspire 2 is at DJI at this moment. So hopefully it will not take a long time to see what is wrong.

2017-5-5
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

EASYmap Posted at 2017-4-6 04:05
Hi Donald72. I think you understand perfectly. But as I mentioned before, the "Quickspin" feature was not enabled during critical flight. Actually it was newer enabled on my I2 at all.

So what was the determination by DJI regarding your crash? Can you please share the results of your repair / replacement aircraft experience?

Thank you
Rich
2017-5-5
Use props
ROTOROPTIC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 598031 ft
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-5 16:13
So what was the determination by DJI regarding your crash? Can you please share the results of your repair / replacement aircraft experience?

DJI will not tell anyone what the cause of a crash is if is is not pilot error.
Saves them from lawsuits, which is understandable
2017-5-7
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

ROTOROPTIC Posted at 2017-5-7 17:43
DJI will not tell anyone what the cause of a crash is if is is not pilot error.
Saves them from lawsuits, which is understandable

I am glad you were able to get this resolved and you are right... DJI will keep this case for the engineers to research. I hope this is an isolated case!

All the best
Rich
2017-5-7
Use props
fansd845e849
First Officer
Flight distance : 1495906 ft
Philippines

Hey I've experienced both drone and gimbal going crazy on the inspire 1 and I think the main cause is the telecom tower nearby when the interference is very high, your drone has a chance of getting caught up by it. For about 5 seconds then recovered control.

When you hit the tarmac, ofcourse the result is motor obstruction. Or I suppose if your blades hit anything.
2017-5-10
Use props
EASYmap
lvl.2
Czechia

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-5-5 16:13

Hi. As ROTOROPTIC wrote. DJI did not provide any explanation nor recommendation. They just replace drone and camera and that is it. It seem I will newer know what happened.
2017-6-16
Use props
ErichG
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74180 ft
United States

EASYmap Posted at 2017-6-16 23:35
Hi. As ROTOROPTIC wrote. DJI did not provide any explanation nor recommendation. They just replace drone and camera and that is it. It seem I will newer know what happened.

Out of curiosity (and apologies in advance if I missed this in the thread), did you suffer the sloppy-fitting prop issue on any of these motors?
2017-6-17
Use props
EASYmap
lvl.2
Czechia

ErichG Posted at 2017-6-17 08:55
Out of curiosity (and apologies in advance if I missed this in the thread), did you suffer the sloppy-fitting prop issue on any of these motors?

Yes. The red props were loose. But under stress, when bird was flying id seem to be OK. DJI replaced it with new one with this problem fixed. Actually white pair is pretty thigh.
2017-6-21
Use props
Kirjago
lvl.1
Flight distance : 144961 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

Our company is goodpenguin.net. It has a small budget, because it was founded by only two people. And to lose an Inspire2 is really tragical. Recently we've had an accident like that. As well as the other quad copter filming company we know of (newscopter.pro). They've even got the video of the accident. The thing is that the motor is glued to the carbon frame. And it's glued quite badly. Taking in count the amount of power, inspire 2 motors have, it's no wonder, that the motor mounts come off with such a low amount of glue used. ZenMuse x5 camera is very expensive to lose. Not talking about the copter itself. I have got one more Inspire 2. I would like to ask DJI representatives, what should I do to ensure it would not fall down? Because, literally, of 6 inspire2 pilots, whom i know, 2 had this crash accident (it is 33% of failure rate for a drone and camera worth of 6.000 dollars !!!!!!) (pure experienced professionals were flying the drone with separate camera operators). We would not want to sell this remaining quadcopter, because we've waited for it for a long time and we really like the x5s camera performance. Moreover, we've trusted DJI as the best manufacturer. The question is: what would DJI recommend to ensure the safety of the flight? that Inspire 2 won't simply fall down?
2017-8-15
Use props
Kirjago
lvl.1
Flight distance : 144961 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

cannot post the video here. Please write to pm for it.
2017-8-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Kirjago Posted at 2017-8-15 16:28
Our company is goodpenguin.net. It has a small budget, because it was founded by only two people. And to lose an Inspire2 is really tragical. Recently we've had an accident like that. As well as the other quad copter filming company we know of (newscopter.pro). They've even got the video of the accident. The thing is that the motor is glued to the carbon frame. And it's glued quite badly. Taking in count the amount of power, inspire 2 motors have, it's no wonder, that the motor mounts come off with such a low amount of glue used. ZenMuse x5 camera is very expensive to lose. Not talking about the copter itself. I have got one more Inspire 2. I would like to ask DJI representatives, what should I do to ensure it would not fall down? Because, literally, of 6 inspire2 pilots, whom i know, 2 had this crash accident (it is 33% of failure rate for a drone and camera worth of 6.000 dollars !!!!!!) (pure experienced professionals were flying the drone with separate camera operators). We would not want to sell this remaining quadcopter, because we've waited for it for a long time and we really like the x5s camera performance. Moreover, we've trusted DJI as the best manufacturer. The question is: what would DJI recommend to ensure the safety of the flight? that Inspire 2 won't simply fall down?

Most of crash accidents are caused by pilot's fault, but if the aircraft has malfunction in warranty, it will be repaired or replaced without any charge.
For your drone, have you contacted our support to start a ticket for data analysis? We will have professional team to try their best to find out the reason of the accident and provide further resolution to you.
2017-8-15
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules