Phantom 3 Pro Flight Logging / Date / Time stamp.
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike B
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4393 ft

United States

I downloaded the flight log, converted it to a CSV file.  What I am looking for is a Date/Time Stamp.  There is the GPS Coordintes, heading, bearing, etc.  There is even a CLOCK offset, but no start date/time to marry it to.   What I need is to tie the exact time/date to a location of the UAV.  Is that recorded someplace else?  Is it an option on the Logging Recorder?  Any ideas are greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
2017-3-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If you take still shots with the aircraft, every photo has the exact time and location details contained in the EXIF data for each shot.

2017-3-16
Use props
Mike B
lvl.1

United States

Yes - I have that - but what happens when you mount a non geo-tagging camera such as an IR camera on the UAV?
2017-3-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike B Posted at 2017-3-16 17:39
Yes - I have that - but what happens when you mount a non geo-tagging camera such as an IR camera on the UAV?

Well, as the Phantom 3 Pro or Advanced is not designed to attach any other form of camera to the aircraft, then you get no data at all. The positional data is in the flight log, but you cannot mark a point for reference.
And have you thought about how you can attach a IR camera to a P3? There is no way to integrate the camera output signal to the video return feed, so you would be flying blind. If this is what you want to do, then you have chosen the wrong aircraft, better to look at one of the industrial models in the DJI range.

2017-3-16
Use props
Mike B
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-16 17:56
Well, as the Phantom 3 Pro or Advanced is not designed to attach any other form of camera to the aircraft, then you get no data at all. The positional data is in the flight log, but you cannot mark a point for reference.
And have you thought about how you can attach a IR camera to a P3? There is no way to integrate the camera output signal to the video return feed, so you would be flying blind. If this is what you want to do, then you have chosen the wrong aircraft, better to look at one of the industrial models in the DJI range.

I understand.  We have a DJI-Pro now, and the geo-tagging is excellent.  We are looking at the Inspire for the IR capabilities.   None of the IR cameras provide geo-tagging, which is a requirement for our application.  The way we handled it was to marry the logging file time stamps to the picture.  I would think that the logging would be identical between the Phantom 3  and the Inspire.  Maybe I should post a message in the Inspire forum.  Any inputs are appreciated.
2017-3-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Mike B Posted at 2017-3-16 18:59
I understand.  We have a DJI-Pro now, and the geo-tagging is excellent.  We are looking at the Inspire for the IR capabilities.   None of the IR cameras provide geo-tagging, which is a requirement for our application.  The way we handled it was to marry the logging file time stamps to the picture.  I would think that the logging would be identical between the Phantom 3  and the Inspire.  Maybe I should post a message in the Inspire forum.  Any inputs are appreciated.

Interesting that the IR cameras do not support geo-tagging, as it would make them rather useless for the task. On the other hand, getting the location data from the aircraft would not be easy, so they would presumably have to incorporate their own GPS reception model in the IR camera.

One thing to look at is if there is a third party app out there that can make a log entry when you trigger a camera shot, then it could be seen in the log.
2017-3-16
Use props
Mike B
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-3-16 19:34
Interesting that the IR cameras do not support geo-tagging, as it would make them rather useless for the task. On the other hand, getting the location data from the aircraft would not be easy, so they would presumably have to incorporate their own GPS reception model in the IR camera.

One thing to look at is if there is a third party app out there that can make a log entry when you trigger a camera shot, then it could be seen in the log.

I fully expect geo-tagging for IR cameras to become available.   This industry is just too new, but that is a good problem to have.  Thanks for the insight.
2017-3-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules