Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
IMU Calibration gone awry?
3113 25 2017-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

Just for giggles I decided to calibrate the gimbal and IMU. Gimbal went fine. IMU calibrated for at least an hour and was stuck on 2 out of 6 steps. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. Chris
2017-3-17
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Was your gimbal making noise or vibrating when you set it on it's side?
2017-3-17
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

Also make sure the order is IMU - then gimbal..
2017-3-17
Use props
SPIKE_151
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69767 ft
United States

You have to be sure that the drone is on a completely level flat surface before you start the IMU calibration. Does your drone have all four rubber foot pads still in? The IMU calibration should finish if these criteria are met. Also if you have not followed the calibration instruction correctly in which way you tilt the drone after each step, it will freeze and wait for you to complete the instruction correctly
2017-3-17
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
United States

SPIKE_151 Posted at 2017-3-17 07:08
You have to be sure that the drone is on a completely level flat surface before you start the IMU calibration. Does your drone have all four rubber foot pads still in? The IMU calibration should finish if these criteria are met. Also if you have not followed the calibration instruction correctly in which way you tilt the drone after each step, it will freeze and wait for you to complete the instruction correctly

OK. That's a new one on me. I noticed the tilted drone position on DJI Go 4. I don't remember having to deal wit this on P3A. Ill do some more research and see where I am going wrong. I had a gut feeling it was my error. Thanks for your input.
2017-3-17
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

m1shootr Posted at 2017-3-17 07:57
OK. That's a new one on me. I noticed the tilted drone position on DJI Go 4. I don't remember having to deal wit this on P3A. Ill do some more research and see where I am going wrong. I had a gut feeling it was my error. Thanks for your input.

Yes, on the P4P, first it just wants to be level, then it wants to be tilted to each side, laying on the arms, left, right, forward and backwards - then finally upside down.  I am thinking it may have to do with the flight controller being more advanced in the mavic (which also has multiple positions to calibrate the IMU) and phantom 4 pro have.
2017-3-17
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-17 09:02
Yes, on the P4P, first it just wants to be level, then it wants to be tilted to each side, laying on the arms, left, right, forward and backwards - then finally upside down.  I am thinking it may have to do with the flight controller being more advanced in the mavic (which also has multiple positions to calibrate the IMU) and phantom 4 pro have.

You would think the engineers would have made  IMU Calibration more user friendly instead of the opposite from P3 to P4. Oh well, my P4Pro is flying fine as is. I would just like to update it.

2017-3-17
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-17 09:02

Thanks for your help!
2017-3-17
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

m1shootr Posted at 2017-3-17 13:29
You would think the engineers would have made  IMU Calibration more user friendly instead of the opposite from P3 to P4. Oh well, my P4Pro is flying fine as is. I would just like to update it.

Oh I understand what you mean totally. It was nice to be able to just sit it and let it go through whatever it needs to do.. But I do believe the new procedure MUST enhance the stability somehow.. (at least I hope so!!).. Happy Flying!!!
2017-3-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-17 14:28
Oh I understand what you mean totally. It was nice to be able to just sit it and let it go through whatever it needs to do.. But I do believe the new procedure MUST enhance the stability somehow.. (at least I hope so!!).. Happy Flying!!!

It is supposed to be more accurate. This has been updated to the A3 and N3 flight controllers as well.
2017-3-17
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-17 15:27
It is supposed to be more accurate. This has been updated to the A3 and N3 flight controllers as well.

Awesome! I could tell things were different about it. More responsive.
2017-3-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-18 04:21
Awesome! I could tell things were different about it. More responsive.

Good to hear you can see the improvement.
2017-3-18
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-18 17:04
Good to hear you can see the improvement.

Are the A3 and N3 flight controllers the same ones used in the mavic??
2017-3-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-18 17:51
Are the A3 and N3 flight controllers the same ones used in the mavic??

No, the Mavic does use a different flight controller system.
2017-3-18
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-18 18:26
No, the Mavic does use a different flight controller system.

So the P4P uses both the A3 and N3 flight controllers?
2017-3-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-18 19:58
So the P4P uses both the A3 and N3 flight controllers?

Phantoms have their own specific flight controller. The A3 and the N3 are their own entities, though they can use similar accessories due to being the latest generation of flight controllers for DIY aircrafts.
2017-3-18
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-3-18 20:43
Phantoms have their own specific flight controller. The A3 and the N3 are their own entities, though they can use similar accessories due to being the latest generation of flight controllers for DIY aircrafts.

Sorry I just re-read your response from earlier. I thought you had said something else. My apologies.
2017-3-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-18 20:53
Sorry I just re-read your response from earlier. I thought you had said something else. My apologies.

No worries.
2017-3-18
Use props
Hank Anderson
lvl.1
Flight distance : 126270 ft
United States

Since the latest update for the new features on the P4, everytime I power up my Phantom, DJI Go4 always says IMU Error.  Calibrate IMU.
I have calibrated it many times over, but each time I change out a battery, or let it sit for a moment, I get the same message on warm up.

Any ideas would be helpful here.  I am guessing that it has to do with the update, as the aircraft flies fine otherwise.
2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hank Anderson Posted at 2017-8-6 16:16
Since the latest update for the new features on the P4, everytime I power up my Phantom, DJI Go4 always says IMU Error.  Calibrate IMU.
I have calibrated it many times over, but each time I change out a battery, or let it sit for a moment, I get the same message on warm up.

Just out of curiosity did you do firmware upgrade on Assistant 2 for each battery ? Takes about five minutes for each battery.
2017-8-6
Use props
Hank Anderson
lvl.1
United States

Perhaps I should ask this, at the end of the IMU calibration procedure, DJIGo4 tells you to restart the aircraft.  Do you power off the aircraft in the upside down position, then power it on in the right side up position, or does this matter after the end of the IMU calibration procedure when you are told to restart the aircraft?

Many thanks for any help provided.  Again, this is a Phantom 4.
2017-8-6
Use props
Hank Anderson
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-6 16:28
Just out of curiosity did you do firmware upgrade on Assistant 2 for each battery ? Takes about five minutes for each battery.

I believe I did, but I will run it again once they are fully charged.  Didn't think about that one.  Thanks.
2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hank Anderson Posted at 2017-8-6 16:31
I believe I did, but I will run it again once they are fully charged.  Didn't think about that one.  Thanks.

You'll easily know, Assistant 2 will show either 'update' or 'refresh', if update then they need done, if refresh then they already have been done, but can be refreshed if you wish.
2017-8-6
Use props
Hank Anderson
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-6 16:40
You'll easily know, Assistant 2 will show either 'update' or 'refresh', if update then they need done, if refresh then they already have been done, but can be refreshed if you wish.

Both batteries are current, they show Refresh.
Each time I change the battery, DJIGo4 says IMU Error. Calibrate IMU.
If I power cycle the aircraft, I then get the IMU Initializing.
I am wondering if this is in fact a result of the latest firmware update.
Both the Aircraft and RC have been updated to the latest firmware.
I've done the IMU Calibration on both batteries, however still get the IMU Error when I switch them out.
One is a standard battery, the other is a High Capacity battery.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.
2017-8-6
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hank Anderson Posted at 2017-8-6 17:59
Both batteries are current, they show Refresh.
Each time I change the battery, DJIGo4 says IMU Error. Calibrate IMU.
If I power cycle the aircraft, I then get the IMU Initializing.

"DJIGo4 says IMU Error. Calibrate IMU."

At what point does it say that, is this during the initialisation period of the aircraft where it is first powered on and running through its diagnostic tests (about first 30 seconds after power on) ?

If so then this may be quite normal.

Edit:- There is an 'IMU Initialising' that appears in red each time aircraft is powered up. I used to confuse this with 'IMU calibration'. It's not that you're seeing ?
2017-8-7
Use props
Hank Anderson
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-7 02:27
"DJIGo4 says IMU Error. Calibrate IMU."

At what point does it say that, is this during the initialisation period of the aircraft where it is first powered on and running through its diagnostic tests (about first 30 seconds after power on) ?

What I am seeing at the initial power on state (30 second power up) is IMU Error.  Calibrate IMU.
This message is in yellow the first time I power on the aircraft.

If I power cycle the aircraft, then I get the normal IMU Initialising in red.

If this is normal, which doesn't seem right to me as it hasn't done this prior to the update, then I will disregard for the moment.  I am wondering if anyone else is seeing this, and if so is there a possible resolution to return this to it's normal state instead of calibrating the IMU every time, and then having to calibrate it each battery change, even though both batteries have been updated to the latest firmware.

Many thanks for any help offered, and fly safe everyone.
2017-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules