Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Drop
1445 21 2017-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ProQuad
First Officer
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello all,

This new thread is in NO WAY NEGATIVE toward DJI.  

After coming back from my vacation from Hawaii to Colorado, I went to go fly today.  I did the compass calibration, then put on the props (took them off to travel) and then took off like normal and let it hover about 2 feet off of the ground so I could go through all of the parameters before I starting flying...then it dropped like a brick!  Stoot there wondering what in the heck happened...then heard something hit the ground behind me.  DANG IT!!!  The front left prop flew off because of my stuppidity!!  I did not double, tripple or quadruple check that all of the props were LOCKED in place.  The interesting thing is, when it flew off, all of the moters stopped.  I am not for or aggenst this, just think it was interesting (and, no, I did not do a CSC as I checked that afterwords and I had one hand operating my tablet going through the parameters).

Needless to say, I need to send in the Mavic for repair.  Thanks GOODNESS I have the DJI Care Refresh and should be no cost to me.  I have all ready started the online repair procedure and have my case number (CAS-515163-S4T1M2).  

The whole point of this thread to to share my experiance with (especially the newbies) you all to double, tripple or quadruple check that all of your props are not only on, but locked in place before each flight.

UGH!  I'm so disapointed in myself, and bummed that I can not fly for about a month.  lessoned learned.

Ribbon cable busted??

Ribbon cable busted??

not fully in correct location

not fully in correct location
2017-3-17
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Ouch! Hope you're back in the air soon!
2017-3-17
Use props
Sumdiv
Captain
Flight distance : 163658 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think that Ribbon Cable is the weakest point of the whole gimbal IMHO.  It happened to me as well.  I sent it in last week of February and still waiting for it to come back to me.  Good Luck.
2017-3-17
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sumdiv Posted at 2017-3-17 09:09
I think that Ribbon Cable is the weakest point of the whole gimbal IMHO.  It happened to me as well.  I sent it in last week of February and still waiting for it to come back to me.  Good Luck.

Agreed.  That thing is so tiny and fragile...I'm all-ways super cautious when removing the guard and even hand moving the AC.  Good luck to you too.  I am guesstimating about a month because they are supper busy.
2017-3-17
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

That's a bummer,hopefully you get it back soon! I usually leave my props on at all times, I think i'll pay more attention to make sure they did not become loose or free in between flights.
2017-3-17
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-3-17 09:21
That's a bummer,hopefully you get it back soon! I usually leave my props on at all times, I think i'll pay more attention to make sure they did not become loose or free in between flights.

Yea, I only took them off to travel with.  I usually leave mine on as well but still check before I start the motors.
2017-3-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your crash and hope you get back in the air soon.
And yes, checking each prop to make sure it's locked on should be done before every flight.
2017-3-17
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-17 09:43
Yea, I only took them off to travel with.  I usually leave mine on as well but still check before I start the motors.

Where are you from in Hawaii? Im originally born and raised in Kona and moved to SoCal 3.5 years ago.
2017-3-17
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197602 ft
United States

DJI Care Refresh costs $99 + $79.
2017-3-17
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197602 ft
United States

Check out this stress test. The motors stop to prevent MP from taking off with missing props.

2017-3-17
Use props
Nikon 1
Second Officer
United States

ProQuad - I'm sorry for your mishap and hope you get it back quickly.  I'm also very glad that you posted this up for all the new Mavic owners & pilots.  I mean no disrespect but I learn from the unfortunate mishaps of others.

On that very note - When I have a problem, I will be sure to post that for other pilots as well.  We are a community.
2017-3-17
Use props
DrEMHmrk2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 291575 ft
United States

Supervisor Posted at 2017-3-17 10:22
Check out this stress test. The motors stop to prevent MP from taking off with missing props.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VanMkDHTjd4

Sort of off topic, but the lady at 5min20sec is wearing the cutest outfit haha
2017-3-17
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-17 09:52
Sorry for your crash and hope you get back in the air soon.
And yes, checking each prop to make sure it's locked on should be done before every flight.

Yep.  Lesson learned.  Thanks Ken
2017-3-17
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-3-17 10:15
Where are you from in Hawaii? Im originally born and raised in Kona and moved to SoCal 3.5 years ago.

I'm a native in Colorado.  I was visiting and staying in Kona.  Went all over the big island and also took a day trip to Honolulu.  I am working on the video and looking to have it completed soon.
2017-3-17
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Supervisor Posted at 2017-3-17 10:17
DJI Care Refresh costs $99 + $79.

Yep.  An inexpensive investment for items such as this.
2017-3-17
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Supervisor Posted at 2017-3-17 10:22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VanMkDHTjd4

Yea, I've seen this video.  Only mine took off and hovered 2 feet above ground for about 30 sec. then...boom.  Thanks for sharing.  
2017-3-17
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nikon 1 Posted at 2017-3-17 10:31
ProQuad - I'm sorry for your mishap and hope you get it back quickly.  I'm also very glad that you posted this up for all the new Mavic owners & pilots.  I mean no disrespect but I learn from the unfortunate mishaps of others.

On that very note - When I have a problem, I will be sure to post that for other pilots as well.  We are a community.

Nikon,

This is EXACTLY why I posted it.  To help others because, I too, have learned from others mishap's.  No disrespect taken.  Glad you can learn from me.
2017-3-17
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DrEMHmrk2 Posted at 2017-3-17 11:25
Sort of off topic, but the lady at 5min20sec is wearing the cutest outfit haha

2017-3-17
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

The interesting thing is, when it flew off, all of the moters stopped.

That's not really surprising. It's fairly well known that the Mavic will turn off its engines under certain conditions such as when it thinks there's been a crash, and it doing that can definitely be a good thing.

On the other hand, it's disappointing -- but also not entirely surprising -- that your gimbal didn't survive a two-foot drop. Out of curiosity, onto what type of surface did it land? Grass / dirt? Concrete? Something else?

Anyway, I'm sorry that this happened to you and I hope that you get a decent turnaround on your repair.
2017-3-17
Use props
BayArea99
lvl.4
Flight distance : 197336 ft
United States

I have noticed that if anything happens to the props, all motors stop. In your case the prop flew off, but if you just hit anything while flying all motors stop. It's something to consider while flying to close to anything.
2017-3-17
Use props
ProQuad
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-17 15:36
The interesting thing is, when it flew off, all of the moters stopped.

That's not really surprising. It's fairly well known that the Mavic will turn off its engines under certain conditions such as when it thinks there's been a crash, and it doing that can definitely be a good thing.

I took off and dropped onto turf.  So...kind of soft but kinda hard too.
2017-3-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-17 13:16
Yep.  Lesson learned.  Thanks Ken

No problem, again sorry and hope you get back in the air soon.
2017-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules