882 19 2017-3-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
biosdi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 92595 ft
Italy

Hi everyone.

I just received my MAVIC after a crash, using the DJI Care Refresh. The refreshed unit has a new S/N.

This evening I tried it taking off on the roof of my house. Ok, 12-13 satilltes, but I found it to be a bit unstable during hovering: most going a little bit up and down (less going ahead or backwards) and I had to often correct the position with remote control in order to avoid some poles and walls. It was almost completely dark outside, but I don't think it should be an issue for MAVIC to be stable during hovering...

Any idea?? Can you help me to understand if my Refreshed unit is defective or not??

Thanks a lot!!
2017-3-17
Use props
DrEMHmrk2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291575 ft
United States

I don't think I've ever flown with less than 15 satellites, did it ever grab more than 12-13?
2017-3-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I may just need a good compass/IMU calibration. Test on the ground in a park or your front yard during the day to see if it's stable.
2017-3-17
Use props
biosdi
lvl.2
Italy

Furthermore, I noticed that the flight distance was increasing even if I almost stayed hovering in place (just some feets up or down!
2017-3-17
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

As Ken said your mavic needs IMU calibration and compass calibration somewhere other than your roof, try it.
2017-3-17
Use props
bunny too
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

With it being so dark the vision sensors would not work well, that is what helps keep it stable.
Regards,
-d
2017-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your taking off from the roof of your house, not good for starters. It could be VPS if your AC is not steady have you tried to fly higher and is it steadier . VPS need a good pattern surface to hold steady , try flying 20 meters higher to see if its holding steady.

But I would not be taking off from roof tops so many crashes from others taking off from balcony and rooftops.
2017-3-17
Use props
biosdi
lvl.2
Italy

Thank you all!

But, let's say that we are at 100ft altitude, even with enough light, the visual sensor should be useless due to the "empty" space around the mavic. Right? So, why should be more stable than in low light?

Thanks again for explaination
2017-3-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

biosdi Posted at 2017-3-17 16:34
Thank you all!

But, let's say that we are at 100ft altitude, even with enough light, the visual sensor should be useless due to the "empty" space around the mavic. Right? So, why should be more stable than in low light?

When your flying low it's the VPS that will hold your AC in place, it needs good patterns and plenty of light if it doesn't have these then your AC can be unstable, if you fly out of its 15 meter range gps should hold your AC in place so this is why I was asking if it was still unstable at higher altitudes.
2017-3-17
Use props
biosdi
lvl.2
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-17 17:10
When your flying low it's the VPS that will hold your AC in place, it needs good patterns and plenty of light if it doesn't have these then your AC can be unstable, if you fly out of its 15 meter range gps should hold your AC in place so this is why I was asking if it was still unstable at higher altitudes.

Thanks! I'll try tomorrow... (I'm at work, now... )
2017-3-18
Use props
biosdi
lvl.2
Italy

Update:

I took these videos indoor (with and without propeller guards), with enough light for VPS to work (OPTI mode).

(I must say that the rapid right roll and than back to the left, was my input, obviously - "no_guards" video -)

Do you think that the little oscillations (and the little loosing altitude) are still normal?

Thanks

2017-4-3
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

biosdi Posted at 2017-4-3 10:41
Update:
I took these videos indoor (with and without propeller guards), with enough light for VPS to work (OPTI mode).
(I must say that the rapid right roll and than back to the left, was my input, obviously - "no_guards" video -)

I'd say this is stable. You can't expect it to hold every milimeter at all times - it just doesn't work like that. This looked like a perfectly stable behaviour.
2017-4-3
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Update:

Looks pretty normal to me too, especially without the prop guards and considering how close to a wall you were flying.
2017-4-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Update:

That looks fine, you will get a much smoother movement if you put your thumbs on top of the sticks,
2017-4-3
Use props
biosdi
lvl.2
Italy

Thank you so much, guys! I was very worried about that!!
2017-4-3
Use props
biosdi
lvl.2
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-3 12:54
That looks fine, you will get a much smoother movement if you put your thumbs on top of the sticks,

Really?? Why?

Thanks
2017-4-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

biosdi Posted at 2017-4-4 06:25
Really?? Why?

Thanks

Just try it, there are grips on the top of your sticks once you lock your thumbs on gently you will find you get a much smoother movement rather that pushing or holding with thumb and index finger, this grip usually used for moving at higher speeds, once you've mastered it you will see what I mean.
Let me know how you get on.
2017-4-4
Use props
biosdi
lvl.2
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-4 08:32
Just try it, there are grips on the top of your sticks once you lock your thumbs on gently you will find you get a much smoother movement rather that pushing or holding with thumb and index finger, this grip usually used for moving at higher speeds, once you've mastered it you will see what I mean.
Let me know how you get on.

ok, thanks.

But I was talking about just the hovering... It seemed to me that it was unstable, that's why I took those video, and was waiting for your expert opinion, guys
2017-4-4
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

This is normal. Also have it when hovering LOW to the ground (1 meter or so after take off) when I go up higher, it is a lot better. like 3m, then it stays stable. But will drift a little more "around" when hovering lower, I think it is due to the sonar. Btw, this is my experience also when it is darker. With more light, it was a lot more stable at same low altitude due to vision sensors working.
2017-4-4
Use props
biosdi
lvl.2
Italy

Nees Posted at 2017-4-4 08:47
This is normal. Also have it when hovering LOW to the ground (1 meter or so after take off) when I go up higher, it is a lot better. like 3m, then it stays stable. But will drift a little more "around" when hovering lower, I think it is due to the sonar. Btw, this is my experience also when it is darker. With more light, it was a lot more stable at same low altitude due to vision sensors working.

Thanks. I think that is due to rotorwash, also.
2017-4-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules