Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Get the right settings for drone photography
1257 5 2017-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse9ac2261
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi guys,

I've realised a quite a few people were taking pictures without putting the right settings to get the best pictures possible.

It's been well received on the Facebook group, so I'll post it in too.

It works for every DJI drone.

http://masterdronephotography.com/drone-photography-tips/

Don't hesitate if you have any questions.

J
2017-3-18
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Thanks.  I can use all the help I can get.
2017-3-18
Use props
Zeldon50
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11634 ft
United States

Thanks for the link, I read through all of it, but Jerome is mistaken on a few points. If you shoot RAW, white balance, and style have no bearing, as the image is pulled off the sensor, bypassing those settings altogether. Also, he suggests under exposing by two EV (which is a good suggestion), as you can always open up the shadows on a raw file, but you cannot bring back highlights which have been clipped by overexposure.  However, he says to leave the histogram on your screen and pay attention to it for proper exposure. The problem here is that if you are deliberately under exposing  your images by two EV, the histogram will always be biased towards the left side. Unless you are shooting with no exposure value compensation on either end (plus EV or minus EV), the histogram is not of much help, IMO.
2017-3-18
Use props
fanse9ac2261
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Zeldon50 Posted at 2017-3-18 11:12
Thanks for the link, I read through all of it, but Jerome is mistaken on a few points. If you shoot RAW, white balance, and style have no bearing, as the image is pulled off the sensor, bypassing those settings altogether. Also, he suggests under exposing by two EV (which is a good suggestion), as you can always open up the shadows on a raw file, but you cannot bring back highlights which have been clipped by overexposure.  However, he says to leave the histogram on your screen and pay attention to it for proper exposure. The problem here is that if you are deliberately under exposing  your images by two EV, the histogram will always be biased towards the left side. Unless you are shooting with no exposure value compensation on either end (plus EV or minus EV), the histogram is not of much help, IMO.

Thanks for the comment!
You are right that style have no bearing on the RAW file. However white balance does affect massively your RAW images, even though you can change it easily in Lightroom.
As for the histogram, it is a good starting point to see how balanced your image is and whether you need to start your bracketing from a +1EV or -1EV.
2017-3-20
Use props
budro594
lvl.1
Flight distance : 411850 ft
United States

Thank you for the information!
2017-4-20
Use props
STRIDE8
Captain
Flight distance : 1382431 ft