The best video editing sw for iOs / Android?
8939 18 2017-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

Hey all,
After 4 days seems no one is video-editing on Android device directly so I modify this topic a bit...How about iOs devices?  (The idea is to have dedicated device for Mavic, but not only for flying, it would be nice to have it also for postprocessing - to produce at least 2,7k vids in affordable quality, nice transitions, background music etc.) To get nice output allready when i come from the trip, just ready to upload and share :-)

Any recommendations/experiences here?
To structure the discussion somehow:
1) what sw/app on what device do you use for video edit and what for pics edit?
2) what px. resolution is affordable for video editing (not lagging too much yet) on your device?
3) what kind of postprocessing (color grade, luts application, cut/stitch, transitions etc...) are you capable to handle on the road?
4) how about still pics - any kind of postprocess (color grading, other corrections and effects)?
5) how abou the music? What source do you recommend (do you care abou the content ID and legal aspects e.g. on Youtube?)
6) any other comments/recommendations?
Thanks indeed.

2017-3-18
Use props
Dronebae
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41220 ft
United Kingdom

Not tried editing on android tablets but used a surface pro and it was a bust. Also my MacBook air huffs and puffs when editing anything above 1080p so would wonder how well any tablet would cope with 2.7k.

Let me know how you get on though as if you have success it could be an avenue for me.
2017-3-19
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have you tried the DJI app's own editor?
It should be possible to create a quick taster style video.
2017-3-19
Use props
Safari
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Willik Posted at 2017-3-19 00:15
OK noone editing on Android device?

Some are using Filmora on android. Or try with the integrated editor in DJI app.
Having both android and iOS, i definitely prefer to use my IOS (or Apple devices) for photo and video editing.
2017-3-19
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Czechia

4wd Posted at 2017-3-19 00:37
Have you tried the DJI app's own editor?
It should be possible to create a quick taster style video.

Tried original DJI editor but found many limitations. No transitions no colorgrading. Poor sound quality of original samples. May be good for fast teasers but did not succeed much with full processing.
2017-3-19
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Czechia

Safari Posted at 2017-3-19 01:19
Some are using Filmora on android. Or try with the integrated editor in DJI app.
Having both android and iOS, i definitely prefer to use my IOS (or Apple devices) for photo and video editing.

I tried filmora on PC. Not so bad. But far behind other sw apps like Davinci Resolve or others... the best option would be if Davinci  works on Android tablet (and smooth till 4k of course ;-)
2017-3-19
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Czechia

Hi, after 4 days, (no many replies for Android) I updated the topic a bit... how about iOs devices/sw app?
2017-3-21
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

I'm wondering the same thing. I've looked around and tried a few different apps on my tablet to always just uninstall them because they aren't working the way I would like. If you figure something out please let me know.
2017-3-23
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

The idea is to have dedicated device for Mavic, but not only for flying, it would be nice to have it also for postprocessing
Hi, after 4 days, (no many replies for Android) I updated the topic a bit... how about iOs devices/sw app?

I understand the appeal of what you described but I think the problem is that there's a mismatch between what you're wanting to do and what these devices are good at. Post-processing is easier with a larger screen than you'll find on a phone or tablet, and more importantly mobile devices just don't have the kind of computational power you need to process a large image or high-definition video. Even on a fairly powerful desktop I find video post processing somewhat slow, so there's no way I'd even consider trying to do it on, say, my iPad Mini 4.
2017-3-23
Use props
michaeln416
lvl.2
Flight distance : 595157 ft
Canada

Have you considered uploading the videos and editing them directly in YouTube? At least you are not relying on the compute power of your device.
2017-3-23
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

michaeln416 Posted at 2017-3-23 19:13
Have you considered uploading the videos and editing them directly in YouTube? At least you are not relying on the compute power of your device.

How do you do that? What can be edited?
2017-3-23
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Czechia

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-23 09:22
The idea is to have dedicated device for Mavic, but not only for flying, it would be nice to have it also for postprocessing

Hallo and thank you indeed for your reply.
Maybe I am expecting too much, you may be right! :-)

Concerning the devices
As I saw few tablets of my friends who are also flying with Mavics, I would really expect that there should be on the market (or at least should be soon) some device and also some app - capable to cut video footages and do reasonable postprocessing.
I understand what you are saying - the computational power of mobile devices is not optimal yet. But e.g. in April there should be new Samsung Galaxy tab S3 with new Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor (BTW it has native 4K camera and I guess some basic videoedit will be embded), and according to the reviews what I have read, it should be capable to process vid cutting (smooth at least till 2,7K). I am not sure about the iOs, but for sure there will also be some devices strong enough.

Concerning the app for this purpose, I tried many and so far only few are interresting. (for reasonable price, with nice effects and transitions) such as e.g.:

1) KineMaster (so far the best I guess, but auto-limits (despite what user wants) the output resolution based on the HW capabilities to process... but they recommend Qualcom 820 for 4K, so I am very curious if someone has and could share his experience)
2) PowerDirector (Cyberlink.com - they have more video apps. e.g. also ActionDirector) both very nice and each for a bit different purpose, the price might be higher;
3) VivaVideo (QuVideo inc. - for some funny vids, since it has many predefined effects (maybe to much disrupting the original video feeds) - I guess usable for Vlogs or some teasers mostly, otherwise I would prefer the vids with softer effects/transitions only)

Concerning the screen resolution and desktop HW - here it is a compromise of course. I understand that 56" screen in 8k res. with desktop PC for 2000$ will always be better than a tablet, but sice I am very busy man (employee working from 6 to 6, with beautiful wife and two very active kids) :-) I don't have to much time for any evening homeworks. So I prefer immediate post-process on the field rather than postprocess after a month or two when I finally find some free evening without my kids & wife. Since my eyes are not so bad yet, I also guess I don't need the big screen for processing, the most important is the time now.
2017-3-24
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Czechia

michaeln416 Posted at 2017-3-23 19:13

Hi, thanks for your reply. I tried youtube some years ago (with 1080p vids only) the uploading su*ks... since it takes weeks. Can't imagine (even when I sit on 200Mbps down / 20Mbps upload line) uploading 80 Gigs of not cutted video feeds to Youtube and cut&process them there (maybe you could share your experience in more detail - I am not sure about the recent version of youtube... how smooth it works?). THX.
2017-3-24
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

I did manage to use the DJI editing part that comes with DJI Go 4 . Didn't turn out the best nor the worst. I put  Cyberlink Media Suite Ultra 14.0 on my laptop and will try it tonight. I also have Filmora 8.0 to try also. So between those 2 I think I have something that will work. As for editing on my tablet I will just wait and do it on the laptop. I will let you know how this works out.
2017-3-24
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I am with you. It would be great to be able to do the editing on a phone (or more realistically a tablet) but when what I found is you really need the power of a desktop if you want to edit HD video. Especially, if you are considering 2.7K or higher resolution.   
2017-3-24
Use props
Andyroo117
New
United States

I recently downloaded Hitfilm 4 Express and I'm currently using and learning that software.  
Hitfilm 4 Express is free...all you have to do to activate it, is to "share" on Facebook or Twitter, and you'll get an activation code.
You'll find a lot of tutorials for Hitfilm 4 Express on YouTube.  Most likely you would have to use this software on a PC or laptop.
2017-3-24
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Czechia

Hi again. Thanks for all replies.
Editing on a PC is not a problem. I have Filmora (good but no sound curve edit - too bad), Hitfilm express (quite OK),  and Davinci Resolve - what I find as the best option finally. The problem is the portability ;-) So I really hope for SG Tab S3 to be the option or some latest iPad device... (even if I still dont like apples too much :-) I consider changing my sexual orientation :-) in this prticular case...
Any other experiences? THX!
2017-3-25
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Czechia

Hi - Just curous if anyone allready has SamsungGalaxy tab s3 and any experience? ;-)
Thx.
2017-4-1
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Got the asus travelair https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZJNTDB/

It has a sd card port and you can do all the transfers from your phone. Cheaper than buying a bunch of sd cards and not too bulky. Then when get back home from a trip, can load all the clips off onto the pc. I'd really rather have a bunch of sd cards, but the cost is just too high.

If you are lucky enough to afford unlimited lte on your cell, you could send it that way too in the field. But like wolf saying, you'd still need to edit it somehow and that takes a bigger rig (2k+ video).

Try the cpl filter by itself or polar pro nd_cpl on the mavic. That gives ok footage without the need to grade.
2017-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules