55231 30 2017-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3809 ft
Canada

Hello all,

Exciting news, well at least I think so!!!

As I browse through this forum it appears there are some myths about the DJI GO 4 app not being capable of flying waypoints from a predetermined route or mission. In other words you can't enter the DJI GO 4 app, select waypoints, plot them then go fly.

To a degree this is true; however I just cracked the nut! You can indeed plot a mission and fly waypoints.

Sorry if this is old news. Here is how I did it.

1) Power up and connecting both RC & Mavic Pro. Open DJI Go 4 app in your mobile device (I am using a iPad Mini 4, 32gb non cellular) and establish a good connection (GPS with home point recorded). You can be in either P or Sports mode.

2) Enter simulator in your mobile device. Create a mission in the simulator by selecting "waypoint" menu. Follow the on screen prompts that will guide you through creating a mission. If I recall you must fly to your first point you wish to set as the initial waypoint then drop a pin marked "1".

3) Continue along a flight path you wish to create dropping pins along the way thus creating a waypoint route. Once you reach your final waypoint the app should ask you if you wish to Return to Home (RTH) or Hover once the mission is complete.

3) Once the mission is complete it will save it. As a side note at this point I have not worked out where it saves it, SD card etc,  and is quiet annoying you can not "rename" the mission.

4) Disconnect RC, Mavic Pro & exit DJI GO 4 app.

5) When ready to go fly the mission you just created, start RC, Mavic Pro & DJI GO 4 app as usual. Establish a good connection (GPS) and ensure your home point has been recorded.

5) Select *Sport mode and take off as usual in a hover around 4'. Enter "Waypoint" mode. Select favourite mission, you will now see the mission you just created in the simulator.

6) BINGO, select it and watch the Mavic fly that route.

7) Have Safe fun.

* Disclosure: I take  no responsibility if you Mavic days away, crashes or otherwise. Please understand the protocols of your Mavic Pro. read and understand the modes and menus in the manual. remember in Sport mode the only function available is GPS, no obstacle avoidance or forward sensing.

Feedback welcome.
2017-3-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

When in sim mode and creating a mission can you see a map ---- satellite map or street map?????  
2017-3-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

Lemon,
Picking home points and way points on a sim screen is not a predetermined route or mission I would not take that sim mission you created IN THE SIM AND USE IT if you do I guarantee you will be requesting an RMA once you gather up all your Mavic pieces
2017-3-18
Use props
MavicMule
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6329 ft
United States

I'll give it a try tomorrow using a big open area with no obstructions.
2017-3-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

MavicMule Posted at 2017-3-18 13:07

You will need it !!!!!!!!!!!
your not even going to be able to know what direction its going to go or how far
I ask Lemmon if he has a street map or satellite map in the sim to plan the waypoints
NO Maps NO Waypoints its not hard to understand
I got no answer --- I would let him try it first he's the one giving misinformation
Ya know what ---  its your $1000.00 bucks
2017-3-18
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Canada

Apologies for the later reply.....work work work,

In terms of in SIM Mode you can see a map perfectly because I'm hooked up to WIFI.
2017-3-18
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Canada

In terms of the mission recording inside the SIM doing it in Real flight the Long & Lat coordinated are bang on correct.

I already flew the mission from in real time from the mission I created in the SIM.

It worked flawlessly.

Do you guys have insode information about the algorithm of the program that you wish to share seen as you are all so confident that my method will fail?

Watching for a solid reply.
2017-3-18
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Canada

Last thing to add. I flew "Real Drones" on operations overseas throughout my 24 year military career....I know a little about this stuff.

I will attempt to uplead a video of a flight that was created using the SIM.

Failsafe is unless I loss signal I have control.
2017-3-18
Use props
flange4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 77021 ft
United States

Nice, I gotta try that
2017-3-18
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Canada

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-18 12:16
When in sim mode and creating a mission can you see a map ---- satellite map or street map?????

Greetings. So long as you are connected to the internet via a home network or cellular network the SIM will bring up map layers (street or otherwise).

Hope this explains point 2 of my steps  further?
2017-3-18
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Canada

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-18 14:11
your not even going to be able to know what direction its going to go or how far
I ask Lemmon if he has a street map or satellite map in the sim to plan the waypoints

Hi Skunkwerxs.

My test flight (SIM Created to actual flight) was 120' up, 300' out with 3 left turns @ 90 degrees (so a square) ending up at the 1st way point. I programmed a "Hover" command when the flight was complete then flew "Home" LOS flawlessly.

Please explain how one would not know the direction of flight when flying LOS?
2017-3-18
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Canada

MavicMule Posted at 2017-3-18 13:07

Have a great safe flight. I would wish you good luck but luck is not calculated!
2017-3-18
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Canada

Lemonsorbie Posted at 2017-3-18 15:25
Last thing to add. I flew "Real Drones" on operations overseas throughout my 24 year military career....I know a little about this stuff.

N.B - SIM was hooked up to WIFI to attain coordinates. GPS satellite count was 16. Home point was recorded and verified for accuracy prior to creating the mission in the SIM.
2017-3-18
Use props
MavicMule
lvl.4
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-18 14:11

Already flown the waypoints LOS & via fpv.  I appreciate Lemonsorbie suggesting something that is working for them.  Also well aware of what I paid for this drone which has worked flawlessly for me to date.
2017-3-18
Use props
Tex21
lvl.3
Flight distance : 230052 ft
Australia

New flyer, but long-time GPS user. I just discovered that to fly a WAYPOINT route that the Mavic MUST be at least 10m above ground.  This is a real limitation for what I want to do.  Anyone know if this restriction/limit can be changed somewhere in the settings?
2017-3-18
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

Lemonsorbie Posted at 2017-3-18 15:25

Lemmon ,
I'm not doubting your Real Drone Military experience at all ( Thank You for your Service )
The Mavic is also a real drone, just without all the Military capabilities --- you know what I'm talking about caus you flew Military Drones.
I did not post to insult you and you have now answered my questions that I posted to you .
I'm still sticking with what I said and these are my reasons.
1.  TEX21 post #15
2. Many Flyers , probably all , DO NOT fly with a WIFI connection Enabled with there Tablets or Phones
    We use Airplane Mode because there has been instances where it has caused interference with the
    RC and AC, plenty of posts about that .
3. Your Method is not capable of judging Altitude the Mavic only calculates AGL from the Takeoff Point.
4. LOS flying I do not consider a mission ( we will have different opinions about this )
5. I built an flew the very Drones you flew in the Military.
                        I give You my Best of LUCK and anybody else that uses your method        
2017-3-19
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

MavicMule Posted at 2017-3-18 21:23
Already flown the waypoints LOS & via fpv.  I appreciate Lemonsorbie suggesting something that is working for them.  Also well aware of what I paid for this drone which has worked flawlessly for me to date.

Mule,
Please try to understand my posts were not meant as an insult to personnel knowledge or capability
What I was trying to say to Lemmon is there are many variables to be considered B4 using the method he pointed out ---- AGL is the one and most important that is unknown --- running a pre-planed mission is awesome ---- I've done it a few times using Litchi going out of LOS and coming back to me 9 mins later .
I'm live on a mountain range in a valley and found that I wasn't on the highest ground even though it looks like I do , That's why I manually fly the AC route ---- Many litchi users have crashed and burned by not checking this one important variable AGL--- The Mavic does not compensate up and down according to the Terrain --- The only TRUE AGL reading it gives to you is from Takeoff-----If your flying LOS with his Method it can be done -- which he did not state in his original post -- only after I posted did he state LOS
I apologize to both of you , I was just trying to help yas avoid the Dreaded DJI RMA         
2017-3-19
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Canada

Good morning all.

No offence taken lol. Text/comments have no tone!

Great concerns and point to note such as AGL.

Of course in sport mode obstacle avoidance is much reduced which is a pain@

7 "'s" - Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Pi@# Poor Performance.

I wish you all RMA free flying. I was just excited to discover a way (for me anyway) to do something not in the rule book.

2017-3-19
Use props
MavicMule
lvl.4
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-19 04:33
Mule,
Please try to understand my posts were not meant as an insult to personnel knowledge or capability
What I was trying to say to Lemmon is there are many variables to be considered B4 using the method he pointed out ---- AGL is the one and most important that is unknown --- running a pre-planed mission is awesome ---- I've done it a few times using Litchi going out of LOS and coming back to me 9 mins later .

No offense taken, my friend, we're good!
2017-3-19
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Canada

MavicMule Posted at 2017-3-19 07:05
No offense taken, my friend, we're good!

+1....
2017-3-19
Use props
Lemonsorbie
lvl.2
Canada

OK...No RMA Thus far. I just plotted this 15 mins earlier that the actual flight in real time. Baby Steps.

Conditions: Windy ( gusting 10-15 km wind), Cold (0 celsius), Shaky hands! Light levels overcast for time of day (17:08 CMT)

Video footage isn't great (Expo etc) but I am focusing (no pun) on the fact that you can use DJI GO 4 App to pre plan a route using waypoint in the SIM, the go fly.

Observations: Accuracy is not as good as I expected, but it flew the route with decent accuracy.

2017-3-19
Use props
Tex21
lvl.3
Flight distance : 230052 ft
Australia

If anyone discovers a way to fly a low-level (<5m AGL) WAYPOINT route, please post it up here.
2017-3-19
Use props
fans30e3affe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 148990 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This looks really brilliant. For some reason, when I try this in DJI-GO 4.1 the icon to select the intelligent flight mode is missing. The beginner-mode is set to NO, so the icons should be there. Any idea?
2017-6-7
Use props
-Beo-
lvl.1
Flight distance : 87657 ft
Hungary

Hi, Thanks for the info. Homepoint needs to be recorded based on your findings. So I guess I cannot plot a waypoint course in the simulator, just around the home location. Basically I cannot plan a waypoint flight 200km far from my location. Is this a correct assumption? I'll try the simulation this weeks, but I'll make sure just to do some LOS waypoints.
2017-6-27
Use props
-Beo-
lvl.1
Flight distance : 87657 ft
Hungary

Lemonsorbie Posted at 2017-3-19 15:35
OK...No RMA Thus far. I just plotted this 15 mins earlier that the actual flight in real time. Baby Steps.

Conditions: Windy ( gusting 10-15 km wind), Cold (0 celsius), Shaky hands! Light levels overcast for time of day (17:08 CMT)

Videos is not available
2017-6-27
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Thanks,  I'll certainly give this a try.
2017-6-27
Use props
Greg M.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69442 ft
United States

June 28,2017
P4P+
Trying this method, latest update, with the integral screen on the controler, I go to SIM mode, but don't get the option for waypoints, or any other modes.  

Any way around this, other than getting another controller and iOS?
2017-6-28
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

Confirmed, I didn't get the option for selecting waypoint mission either.  Slightly disappointing as I was preparing to compare it to Litchi.  
2017-6-28
Use props
VincentSal
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1373146 ft
United States

Tex21 Posted at 2017-3-18 23:41
New flyer, but long-time GPS user. I just discovered that to fly a WAYPOINT route that the Mavic MUST be at least 10m above ground.  This is a real limitation for what I want to do.  Anyone know if this restriction/limit can be changed somewhere in the settings?

I am on the same boat as you. I have an idea but have not yet attempted it.
The idea is to have a positive altitude, giving you some wiggle room.
By that I mean:
if ground level 0ft is 150' above sea level, then find a spot that is  lower than that. Lets say there is a canal or ditch nearby, the ditch being 15' deep. If you launch from there, when you reach ground level, the drone will read 15'. Hope that makes sense, i plan on trying this sometime tomorrow.
2017-7-9
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

See : https://forum.dji.com/thread-120147-1-1.html
2017-11-17
Use props
RobAlbania
lvl.4
Albania

These facilities are completely missing from the DJI Go App for the Inspire 2.
Why is that?  "Professional use" means you have to fly every mission manually?
2017-12-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules