Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Fighting New Canadian Drone Laws
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 8330174 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This will be a tough job.  I have been involved in reviewing new drone laws for the past two years.  The package that was issued on Mar 16 is nowhere near what was issued for review and comment.  Please take the time to voice your displesure to Canada's Transport Minister marc.garneau@parl.gc.ca
In my email to the minister I requested that pilots with experience and liabilty insurance should not be subject to these new laws.  You can add something similar.  No matter what the rules are going to change, the best we can hope for is that they are not so oppressive.
The other important and responsable thing is to get public liability insurance.  It has been hard to find for hobbyiest, however I have found a company that will, at a reasonable cost.  Please email brad.borle@hubinternational.com
Cost for $1,000,000 public liability insurance is around $100 to $150.  You can also add hull coverage.
Once you have insurance, you can apply for SFOCs which chould be obtained with less restrictions, at least that is my plan.  Initally these SFOCs are mission specific but after appling for a number of them Transport Canada will issue a permanent SFOC.  Of course your missions must be reasonable, safety wise, thats the whole point of the regulations.  Personally I have always flown geofenced to 500m and 120m ASL.  If I need to go farther I walk, land and take-off with a new home point. (50 hrs of airtime per year)
So speak up, if not, you will be stuck with what ever gets written into law.

2017-3-18
Use props
UKIEMAN
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21552 ft
Canada

https://www.change.org/p/marc-ga ... utm_medium=copylink
2017-3-18
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

UKIEMAN Posted at 2017-3-18 16:51
https://www.change.org/p/marc-garneau-allow-responsible-hobbyists-to-work-with-transport-canada-to-make-regulations-around-fpv?recruiter=false&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

Thanks I've already signed.  Others please sign as well.
2017-3-18
Use props
perryb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 91811 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-3-18 18:02
Thanks I've already signed.  Others please sign as well.

I have a vacation home on Vancouver Island[Campbell River ] ,would love to sign .The new law shuts us 100% down as we have seaplanes ,heli pads everywhere. I do not understand french ,is there an english version out there .
2017-3-18
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

perryb Posted at 2017-3-18 18:39
I have a vacation home on Vancouver Island[Campbell River ] ,would love to sign .The new law shuts us 100% down as we have seaplanes ,heli pads everywhere. I do not understand french ,is there an english version out there .

I clicked on the link above and it was in english.
2017-3-18
Use props
fans1c64a935
New

Canada

i cant really figure out if the SFOC is any better, everywhere i go only says the rules are for recreational drones, but doesnt really specify if the rules are the same or any different for commercial use (work or research)
2017-3-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think this is the right approach. Good job
2017-3-19
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9671732 ft
Canada

Thanks Hummingbird,
I've signed and will write Marc.
Which province do you live in?
Montreal Quebec here.
2017-3-19
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
Second Officer
Canada

Email to Marc sent.
Thanks Hummingbird
2017-3-19
Use props
Draiter
lvl.3
Flight distance : 39852 ft

Canada

So, MAAC were consulted in the new rules. MAAC events and locations are exempt from the new rules.. It costs money to join MAAC.... Hmmmm. Conflict of interest much.
2017-3-19
Use props
Michael M
First Officer
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

I live on the lower mainland and this is horrible. I need to drive for an hour just to get away from restricted airspace, never mind find a good field to fky
2017-3-19
Use props
Michael M
First Officer
Canada

MaYhEm sMiLeY Posted at 2017-3-19 05:01
Email to Marc sent.
Thanks Hummingbird

Do you mind showing the letter that you sent?
2017-3-19
Use props
Michael M
First Officer
Canada

Hey Hummingbird, I've seen at least 3 petitions already. They are not hard to find, it may be more effective to get in touch with the other guys and form one big one instead of a bunch of small ones
2017-3-19
Use props
fans15d28fbb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 122438 ft
Canada

I live in the lower mainland too this new law sucks I've signed petition already and emailing Marc this afternoon keep up the good work we can't let this law stand as is it needs to be change to make it fair
2017-3-19
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

MaYhEm sMiLeY Posted at 2017-3-19 04:23
Thanks Hummingbird,
I've signed and will write Marc.
Which province do you live in?

I live in Alberta just outside Edmonton.
2017-3-19
Use props
Michael M
First Officer
Canada

I understand the concern with airports, it would make much more sense to just say when near an airport, no flying higher than 30 meters. Thays whay the airport told me when I wanted to fly in their airspace last year.
2017-3-19
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Draiter Posted at 2017-3-19 07:36
So, MAAC were consulted in the new rules. MAAC events and locations are exempt from the new rules.. It costs money to join MAAC.... Hmmmm. Conflict of interest much.

I've never felt welcome with my quad when visiting local MAAC fields.  I think its because we have different mindsets.  They fly just for the enjoyment of flying.  I do this a bit but I get my main enjoyment from aerial photography and videography.  Doing this on the same field gets boring very fast.
The MAAC guys who were consulted before the rule making don't get this either, hence they protected their butt and guys like me got screwed.
2017-3-19
Use props
fans15d28fbb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 122438 ft
Canada

We should start a Canadian drone association calling on all Canadian drone pilots  to sign up and to be represented as one large group might make government  look and listen  a bit more to all of us responsible  drone operators across Canada  just a thought lol
2017-3-19
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
Second Officer
Canada

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-3-19 09:48
I've never felt welcome with my quad when visiting local MAAC fields.  I think its because we have different mindsets.  They fly just for the enjoyment of flying.  I do this a bit but I get my main enjoyment from aerial photography and videography.  Doing this on the same field gets boring very fast.
The MAAC guys who were consulted before the rule making don't get this either, hence they protected their butt and guys like me got screwed.

I agree MAAC fields get boring real fast, rather watch paint dry.
2017-3-19
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
Second Officer
Canada

Michael M Posted at 2017-3-19 08:12
Do you mind showing the letter that you sent?

I'm not a writer by trade, but wanted my voice to be heard.

Dear Marc,

I'm really disappointed that you didn't come out with licensing regulations rather than killing new businesses & technology.
I am a responsible drone enthusiast and have never injured or endangered anyone in my hundreds of flights.
I would love to have some form of training and  license to operate a drone for pure personal pleasure.
I'm willing to invest in lessons and insurance etc.
Drones have not caused any where near the dangers cars and motorcycles have. I have a valid a drivers license to operate an automobile and motorcycle, I would love to add a valid license to operate a drone.
I really wish that the epidemic of people looking down at their phones whiling driving would be made a higher priority.
I am a law abiding tax paying citizen of the country and respectfully request that you revisit the new laws.

Best regards,
2017-3-19
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Michael M Posted at 2017-3-19 09:47
I understand the concern with airports, it would make much more sense to just say when near an airport, no flying higher than 30 meters. Thays whay the airport told me when I wanted to fly in their airspace last year.

That makes perfect sense to me.
2017-3-19
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
Second Officer
Canada

Burned through two batteries, standing on a frozen river, respecting the new rules hehehe
2017-3-19
Use props
Michael M
First Officer
Canada

Bump

2017-3-21
Use props
Mustang1993
lvl.1

Canada

$100,000,000 is that a typo ????  With all the emails Marc Garneau is probably receiving anything with the term drone in it probably goes to his spam folder.  I've been waiting over a week now for an email question that I sent to TC as well.  Didn't even get an automated response.  I've already signed a bunch of petitions contacted multiple MPs and local governments and police etc and I still feel like I'm not doing enough.
2017-4-17
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Mustang1993 Posted at 2017-4-17 08:28
$100,000,000 is that a typo ????  With all the emails Marc Garneau is probably receiving anything with the term drone in it probably goes to his spam folder.  I've been waiting over a week now for an email question that I sent to TC as well.  Didn't even get an automated response.  I've already signed a bunch of petitions contacted multiple MPs and local governments and police etc and I still feel like I'm not doing enough.

Ya it's one million, edited it.
2017-4-17
Use props
MaYhEm sMiLeY
Second Officer
Canada

Got this bogus response from the Transport Minister.

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the recent Interim Order on new rules for operating unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).

The safety of aviation and people on the ground is one of Transport Canada’s top priorities.  The Interim Order in question was introduced in response to a growing number of reported UAV incidents and associated hazards to the general public.  The rules set out new restrictions for recreational UAV operations only.  Existing rules pertaining to the commercial use of UAVs remain unchanged.

In the case of a violation of the Interim Order, Transport Canada Enforcement Inspectors and local law enforcement officials will conduct an investigation and exercise discretion in taking enforcement actions.

I should note that the Interim Order is a temporary measure to address increasing risks until a more comprehensive set of regulations can be put in place.  There will also be an additional opportunity for Canadians to provide input on the proposed regulations once they are published in the Canada Gazette, Part I, in the coming months.  I would encourage you to provide your views and concerns as part of that process.

I would invite you to visit Transport Canada’s website at http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/drone-safety.html for information on the department’s activities with respect to UAVs.

Again, thank you for writing.

Yours sincerely,

The Honourable Marc Garneau, P.C., M.P.
Minister of Transport
2017-5-27
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

MaYhEm sMiLeY Posted at 2017-5-27 08:25
Got this bogus response from the Transport Minister.

Thank you for your correspondence regarding the recent Interim Order on new rules for operating unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs).

Received the same email yesterday too.
2017-5-27
Use props
Mustang1993
lvl.1

Canada

Have a look at this ...
https://ucalgary.ca/utoday/issue ... s-canadian-airspace

Can you believe they are using SFOC approved drones as ammunition against recreational flying.  They are using all reported instances of any Drone sighting confirmed or unconfirmed.  Some of the ones listed by CADORS are very silly.  Here is the link

Cadors http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/cadors-screaq/m.aspx

Go to the word/text search link on that page and search for the word drone unmanned or UAV and there are over 500 reported incidents since 2005.  Many of which should not be used as ammunition against recreational flyers.
2017-6-18
Use props
alirz5
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Page 22 of this latest government document. I see that the restrictions are somewhat less now and there seems to be a new weight class section for dropping e's less than 1kg.

http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2017/2017-06-24/pdf/g1-15125.pdf

Sure these are still very restrictive but I think a bit better than the previous rules. What do you think.?
2017-6-24
Use props
lloyd
New
Canada

i applyed 2 1/2 months ago for a SFOC still haven't gotten a replay! i truly dont understand how company selling drone would not be pushing this bill to be removed as well! there losing money. 2nd off a 9k radius is understandable for internation airports. Most farms in chillawack have a home airports. Let see not to mention the rc clubs have more then 3 rc airpads that i know of that are against the law stated in this new law set but there still flying how is this allowed? and almost all city have hospitals. this law is unjust!

2017-7-13
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

lloyd Posted at 2017-7-13 14:34
i applyed 2 1/2 months ago for a SFOC still haven't gotten a replay! i truly dont understand how company selling drone would not be pushing this bill to be removed as well! there losing money. 2nd off a 9k radius is understandable for internation airports. Most farms in chillawack have a home airports. Let see not to mention the rc clubs have more then 3 rc airpads that i know of that are against the law stated in this new law set but there still flying how is this allowed? and almost all city have hospitals. this law is unjust!

The Canadian regulation are oppressive even with the slightly reduced limits on 1kg or less UAVs.  The Pacific zone is slow in SFOC response.  I consider myself blessed.  I applied for my first SFOC in March and after an email clarification was granted a 1 yr Standing SFOC for all of Alberta including class D & E airspace, excluding built up areas. (within 21 Wk days)  Before the application I had already obtained 1M  insurance just to protect myself just in case something went wrong.  (My private pilots license helped immensely with the SFOC approval)  I am just a hobbyist flier but now have done the odd paying job.
Here is a link to my YouTube site: shows what I do, everything that may look commercial was done for free/fun.
https://www.youtube.com/user/hummingbirdRPV?feature=mhee
2017-7-13
Use props
RedHawk420
First Officer
Flight distance : 115328 ft
Canada

The new draft regulations will be published tomorrow in Canada Gazette 1.
2017-7-14
Use props
MikeW2
lvl.1
United States

More people get injured by Lawnmower accidents.  Perhaps they should regulate mandatory liability insurance for Lawnmowers!  Same is true for ladders.
But then, we don't use Lawnmowers and Ladders over Houses, objects and people.  Well, most of us don't.
2017-7-14
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

MikeW2 Posted at 2017-7-14 13:22
More people get injured by Lawnmower accidents.  Perhaps they should regulate mandatory liability insurance for Lawnmowers!  Same is true for ladders.
But then, we don't use Lawnmowers and Ladders over Houses, objects and people.  Well, most of us don't.

I cannot understand where the government gets it info, The follow is from their risk assessment.
1 in 40 flights results in a flyaway!  If that were true for DJI stuff it would be "Game Over" for DJI.
"Defining a complex environment as related to built-up areas"
Transport Canada conducted an analysis that took into
account scenarios that could affect the risks of operating a
UAS. The analysis took into account how far a UA could fly
once a lost link occurred (fly-away), that is the average  (Guess they have not learned about RTH)
battery duration as well as the average speed and altitude
at which a fly-away could occur. For the analysis, the
probability of a UA fly-away occurring is taken as 1 in 40,
but some Internet searches found reference to UA flyaway
probability as high as 1 in 3.
2017-7-14
Use props
MikeW2
lvl.1
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-7-14 14:22
I cannot understand where the government gets it info, The follow is from their risk assessment.
1 in 40 flights results in a flyaway!  If that were true for DJI stuff it would be "Game Over" for DJI.
"Defining a complex environment as related to built-up areas"

Government regulation SOUNDS like a good idea.
Studies conducted by persons ignorant of the capabilities of the high end consumer drones, like the DJI drones.  And, do not realize their capabilities.  A knee jerk reaction.  Much to complex, so, group them all together.

Most of the bad reports are from home built, lower capable drones, or, persons who do not operate their drones correctly.  There is a learning curve.  But, if operated responsibly results is a good experience for everyone.  Even those little frogs in the pond (Protected from these dreaded drones).

It's the insurance companies that latch onto these studies.  They support the regulations so they can make a profit on the policies.  
2017-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules