Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Badly behaved Mavic
544 2 2017-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

A fortnight ago, I encountered the kind of behavior that contributes to the kind of legislation Canada just installed against recreational multirotor activity.

At a good quality resort in a country that still has open skies for multirotor flights, I was walking to my room on an expansive lawn when I heard the familiar buzz of a Mavic. The bird was hovering outside an apartment in the complex, just hovering for about 30s. The pilot was nowere to be seen (he was sitting on a couch in his room).

Suddenly the craft zoomed skywards on a diagonal trajectory and a few seconds later, descended along the same trajectory. The pilot kept doing this several times.

An irate guest got up onto his balcony and shouted out 'Is it legal to use THAT in this country?'

When I replied to the affirmative, he shook his head in disgust. Zero tolerance. I've seen that sanctimonous look before too many times. Profile: middle aged, wealthy, probably influential and 'don't mess with me'. On that same property, a far louder lawn mower frequently plows the grounds and nobody complains. So I don't get these people. The pilot, wasn't peeking into HIS apartment.

I reminded the pilot (who had a slew of action cameras) that if he wanted to continue flying, he should take into consideration other's sensitivities and to keep his craft at a respectful distance from the apartments.

I've flown around that property but from a discrete distance and elevation without issues before and was saddened by both the pilots behavior and by that of the guest.

The Mavic is a great 'point and shoot' drone but I fear that its success might also be accompanied by pushback from people who don't appreciate our hobby.
2017-3-18
Use props
bunny too
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

I was worried something had happened to Mike-the - cat's Mavic, glad it is alright; love the avatar.
Regards,
-d.
2017-3-18
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

It's respect. Sometimes people forget and this happens. Oh well

http://bit.ly/2nmVAqD
2017-3-18
Use props