Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
X5 or X5R for slightly more?
616 3 2017-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
archer_drone
New

Australia

Hi everyone, I'm new here and still waiting to buy my new UAS which I have decided will be a DJI Inspire 1 (due to budget constraints......I'd LOVE the new Inspire 2 but sadly it's out of my league right now).

I have my eye on 2 x second hand Inspire 1s.  The first is an Inspire 1 Pro with an X5R, 2 controllers and three batteries and the second is an Inspire 1 Pro with an X5, 6 batteries, 2 controllers and a charging hub [6 hours flight time].  The X5R is $700 more than the X5.  As much as I have researched and researched and read every scrap of information I have been able to, I'm still a little confused.

I know the X5R shoots in RAW video and jpegs (but I believe the X5 shoots RAW jpegs too, just not video??) but what would people here do? what would they fork out the cash for?

I plan on starting my own small business doing photos/video, photogrammetry, inspections and if things go ok, I'll upgrade to an XT (FLIR/thermal) and reach out to local emergency services.  I see the Inspire as a great intro to the commercial market and I am doing my RPAS course in a couple of months (I'm in Australia).

The question remains, what would you do?  get the X5R in the event I may get a gig doing a TV show or advertisement and want to provide the RAW footage to the customer?  is that the only time a RAW camera might come in handy?  Would I be better off saving the $700 and investing in a travel case and gear to help my business get started and enjoy the extra batteries and confirmed low flight time?

Advice is gratefully taken on board.
2017-3-18
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Hi,

I know what I'd choose in a flash. They are both excellent cameras and I'd love to be able to tell people I have an X5R but I would go for the X5. Less than a month after I started shooting in 4K I had to buy a new hard drive, mine was full (I bought the I1 to take photos not video and yet my hard drive was full of 4K video). If I was shooting in RAW, I can only guess how much I would have spent on hard drive space alone, without the cost of a new computer to be able to handle the files and let's face it, if I couldn't shoot decent video with the X3, buying a more expensive camera is not going to help. The only way I could justify forking out the extra for the X5R would be if I had a job that specifically needed it and I could then way the purchase price in with the cost of the job.
In short would I go for the camera I don't need (at the moment), at the cost of $700, 3 batteries and possibly the price of a new computer (definitely new hard drives) or go for the camera that is more than capable of doing the job? It's a no-brainer for me but that's me.

Mark G.
2017-3-19
Use props
archer_drone
New

Australia

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-3-19 01:10
Hi,

I know what I'd choose in a flash. They are both excellent cameras and I'd love to be able to tell people I have an X5R but I would go for the X5. Less than a month after I started shooting in 4K I had to buy a new hard drive, mine was full (I bought the I1 to take photos not video and yet my hard drive was full of 4K video). If I was shooting in RAW, I can only guess how much I would have spent on hard drive space alone, without the cost of a new computer to be able to handle the files and let's face it, if I couldn't shoot decent video with the X3, buying a more expensive camera is not going to help. The only way I could justify forking out the extra for the X5R would be if I had a job that specifically needed it and I could then way the purchase price in with the cost of the job.

Thanks Mark, I have a Pegasus RAID array so storage isn't an issue but it's something I hadn't considered.  I definitely have to factor decisions like that into my business model, if I could afford everything I wanted I'd be forking out for a new Inspire 2 with an X5S ;) as a starter in the industry, financing everything myself from savings and with a family to feed, this UAS decision isn't something I'm taking lightly.
2017-3-19
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

archer_drone Posted at 2017-3-19 02:44
Thanks Mark, I have a Pegasus RAID array so storage isn't an issue but it's something I hadn't considered.  I definitely have to factor decisions like that into my business model, if I could afford everything I wanted I'd be forking out for a new Inspire 2 with an X5S ;) as a starter in the industry, financing everything myself from savings and with a family to feed, this UAS decision isn't something I'm taking lightly.

If I could, I'd have the I2 with X5S, I1 with X5R as aback-up, the M600 with a
Red hanging underneath and the M200 on order with the XT, NIR and Z3 and a......
However, back in the real word..

Whatever you go for, I wish you the best of luck in your upcoming venture.

Mark G.
2017-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules