413 8 2017-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yesterday while flying each time (3 times) I postitioned the mavic directly overhead I received a error message on my screen to calibrate compass.  As soon as I moved it from directly overhead the message went away.  This is the first time this has happed and I place the mavic directly over me quite often.  I don't have an issue calibrating the compass but I was wondering if there could be another reason for this error message, because after moving the mavic away everything became all green again.  
2017-3-19
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Was it near anything magnetic / metallic at the time?
2017-3-19
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-19 08:06
Was it near anything magnetic / metallic at the time?

Thanks but no; I have flown there several times and at had never happened.  It was on a board walk for a boat ramp.  As stated; it only did it when the craft was directly overhead.
2017-3-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

What were you standing on, also if your flying directly overhead make sure your antennas are pointing straight out in front of RC..
2017-3-19
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-3-19 10:21
Thanks but no; I have flown there several times and at had never happened.  It was on a board walk for a boat ramp.  As stated; it only did it when the craft was directly overhead.

Instead of moving it from overhead, you walk away from it and see if it gives the error.  Unless you've got ferrous metal on/in you, it is something in that location.
2017-3-19
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-19 11:50
What were you standing on, also if your flying directly overhead make sure your antennas are pointing straight out in front of RC..

That's the thing; I was standing on a wooden boardwalk-the same wooden boardwalk I have stood on for many flights before.  On this same wooden boardwalk I have flown directly overhead each time as I land to get a shot of the drone descending straight down.  I guess my actual question is: why am I getting a compass error instead of a connection error?  If the antenna is not properly positioned would I get a connection error instead of a compass error?
2017-3-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-3-19 13:58
That's the thing; I was standing on a wooden boardwalk-the same wooden boardwalk I have stood on for many flights before.  On this same wooden boardwalk I have flown directly overhead each time as I land to get a shot of the drone descending straight down.  I guess my actual question is: why am I getting a compass error instead of a connection error?  If the antenna is not properly positioned would I get a connection error instead of a compass error?

I suppose best way to check this is to move location, the compass error may come form a need to calibrate your compass , you can check your compass settings in the app after you start up,  I would go to a completely different area open field no interference start up check compass in the app if it's ok fly straight up if you are still getting compass error, calibrate compass.

My comment about sticks was just about radio connnection, not compass.
2017-3-19
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-19 14:10
I suppose best way to check this is to move location, the compass error may come form a need to calibrate your compass , you can check your compass settings in the app after you start up,  I would go to a completely different area open field no interference start up check compass in the app if it's ok fly straight up if you are still getting compass error, calibrate compass.

My comment about sticks was just about radio connnection, not compass.

Many thanks: I only ask questions like this so I will better understand  things about the app and the drone.  
2017-3-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

M Stuart K Posted at 2017-3-19 14:36
Many thanks: I only ask questions like this so I will better understand  things about the app and the drone.

That's how we all learn.

Good luck.....
2017-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules