Cancelling Repair Request?
3891 9 2017-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tommylee
New
United States

Hi, I recently crashed my P4. Long story short, I clipped a tree branch on a very tall tree, and the P4 fell about 80-85ft onto snow covered ground. One arm is broken, motor test is good, gimbal is functional. I filled out the repair request form, but shortly after that, I found I could order the parts I need to do the repair myself (I'm very comfortable doing repairs on all sorts of electronic items). That being said, I would like to cancel my repair request, and just do the repair myself. Does anyone know how I can cancel the repair request?

Thanks!
::Tommy
2017-3-19
Use props
tvl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197779 ft
United States

Just my thoughts:

1- I would contact DJI and let them know you want to cancel the repair service. That should easily take care of that problem!

2- On the other hand, if the unit is never returned or never received by DJI, I'm feel confident DJI would care less. In other words, I don't think you should feel obligated to return it just because you have a pending repair request.

3- And last, if the unit is currently under a DJI warranty, I'm not sure if you can do the work without voiding the warranty. In this case, you will definitely need to contact DJI and determine your options.
2017-3-19
Use props
Maxxgold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19157 ft
United States

You best bet is to let them fix it and send it back. Usually this means you will get a new or refurbished unit. I would personally just let them fix it and send it back to you. Just because everything looks fine accept for the broken parts, you could be wrong, and there could be other issues. Like, tvl said, if it is under warranty then you definitely should let them fix it.

Now you know you can find parts, so, the next time you have a crash, do the repairs yourself.
2017-3-19
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Personally if the Phantom was rock solid before the crash and I was confident I could fix it I would likely do it myself if it didn't cost much because you will be without your AC for an unknown amount of time which means you won't be flying -, and also they may send you another drone which has other problems (they do this all the time and it's even written in the warranty that way)!!!!!
2017-3-19
Use props
WA5TEF
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124672 ft
United States

I would definitely fix it if you have the ability and the equipment.  I would hate to have to deal with DJI customer support again!  I have argued with them for 6 weeks on what started out as a small issue and it has grown!  Like someone posted already, you will likely get a different drone back and you won't have any idea its history.  You might get lucky and get a good one or even a new one.  But if I ever have another issue like I had, I will for sure fix it or junk it and start over.  If you can do the work, keep us posted on your progress.  
Good luck,
Jim
WA5TEF
2017-3-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

I would recommend sending it in for repair in order to keep the warranty in tact.
If you still want to cancel the repair, please provide me with your case number. I'll help to cancel it.
2017-3-19
Use props
tommylee
New
United States

Thanks everyone for the input. I'll debate this for a little bit, as I haven't even received an email from the repair request yet. However, I really don't have much left on the warranty. This drone has also been working flawlessly since I purchased it, never a problem. It's solid. So I'm liking the idea that I will know for sure that I'll keep the same drone. Also, the repair is a shell replacement only, which will be quite simple. Replacement shell is $65. I'm not sure how much it would cost in the the DJI repair shop for the shell and labor.

@Jim WA5TEF :: I'm KC3GYO :-)
2017-3-19
Use props
djiuser_5Mcw1DdyTZtt
lvl.1
United States

tvl Posted at 2017-3-19 09:26
Just my thoughts:

1- I would contact DJI and let them know you want to cancel the repair service. That should easily take care of that problem!

DJI WARRANTY ISNT WORTH TWO CENT. YOU ARE BETTER OFF DOING THE REPAIR WORK AND VOIDING THE WARRANTY ANYWAY. I FIXED MY OWN MAVIC IN ONE WEEK RATHER THAN WAITING AND AYING DJI TO FIX IT IN 5 OR 6 WEEKS.  

2018-7-5
Use props
djiuser_5Mcw1DdyTZtt
lvl.1
United States

Im never one to play by the rules when it comes to tech if theres a better way to do something im doing it.
Also learning how to repair your own equipment is the absolute best case scenario in any situaion.   
2018-7-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

djiuser_5Mcw1DdyTZtt Posted at 2018-7-5 14:59
Im never one to play by the rules when it comes to tech if theres a better way to do something im doing it.
Also learning how to repair your own equipment is the absolute best case scenario in any situaion.

Currently, our repair time frame has been much improved, we still do not recommend customer to repair by themselves since after-sale service will not cover if any damage is caused. GTScreenshot_20180706_114951.png
2018-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules