Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Third Party Batteries
12Next >
753 74 2017-3-19 08:47:53
Goafer
Beginner
United Kingdom

Does anyone here use third party batteries and what do you think of them? I want some more batteries and I normally avoid third party ones, but the official ones are super expensive.
2017-3-19 08:47:53
Use props
Aeromirage
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 21388
United States

I wouldn't use one if it was given to me free.
Too much invested in the rig to take chances.
2017-3-19 08:49:25
Use props
Michgolden
Hobbyist
Flight distance : 40570
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-3-19 08:49

Agreed ! It's tuff spending the money on official batteries but considering your investment in the AC they're worth it. I've heard horror stories about aftermarket batteries leaking inside the AC etc. Also using them during an issue I believe voids the warranty.
2017-3-19 09:03:42
Use props
Mark The Droner
Intern Pilot
United States

I've used them.  Still do.  Some of them are absolutely great - even better than stock, others not so great.  I prefer ones with quite a few good reviews but those are hard to find.  Something odd about aftermarket brands is they tend to disappear after a year or so.  Not sure why.  I would only get one if it can do something special for me like give me additional mAh that I cannot get from DJI.  And if something about it isn't up to snuff, stop using it.  I've never had one drop out of the sky but I've had them auto-land earlier than expected without warning (24-27%).  If you're going to use them, monitor them carefully and be willing to accept the risk and don't cry about it later when something goes wrong.  :-D  
2017-3-19 10:00:50
Use props
solentlife
Intern Pilot
Latvia

i use third party batterys ... and find no difference between them and DJI original.

Here's my source :  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262660 ... =STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Ireland registered seller .... so for you in UK - ideal !!

Nigel
2017-3-19 10:01:01
Use props
Dirty Bird
Student Pilot
Flight distance : 987169
  • >>>
United States

Batteries are one of the most conterfeited items & it's so easy to make a false "OEM" claim or slap a sticker on one.  I don't mind buying an aftermarket replacement battery for a laptop at a fraction of the price of the manufacturer's replacement.  But my laptop won't fall from the sky & be destroyed if the battery fails.  So be VERY careful & make sure to check reviews & check warranty the return policy.  I did purchase a pair of LimeFuel 6000's for my Vision+ & they work fine, but there were a lot of positive reviews.
2017-3-19 11:38:12
Use props
GeoffN
Hobbyist
Flight distance : 27299
South Africa

When you think how long a battery lasts, for the sake of say £40, is it worth the risk? I'd guess it would invalidate any warranty, even if battery failure wasn't the cause of the crash.
2017-3-19 11:50:08
Use props
Andy4195
Hobbyist
Flight distance : 52665
United Kingdom

I have 2 batteries that are a 3rd party never had an issue
2017-3-19 15:13:37
Use props
Andy4195
Hobbyist
Flight distance : 52665
United Kingdom

Only thing I can say I have noticed is the green leds on battery are not as bright as original Dji battery, not a big deal to me
2017-3-19 15:15:16
Use props
KENSY
Beginner
Flight distance : 2925
United States

I bought a genuine DJI P3S battery on EBAY place called the "outletstore" located in California USA for $99.66 with free shipping. This is a genuine DJI battery in factory package. Fast delivery and battery info showed up ok no issues. I would recommend using ONLY DJI OEM batteries. Yes, it's expensive but like others have said consider the risk. I have a Yuneec typhoon H and have purchased 4 OEM batteries, expensive also but at $1899.00 for the drone I am not risking it. Others have lost their AC due to batteries falling out or shutting down in flight. I am not willing to chance it. Good Luck and check out that EBAY seller.
2017-3-19 16:28:48
Use props
Propwash
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 3980
United Kingdom

Not to be considered whatsoever a definite NO.Buy cheap buy twice.
2017-3-19 18:58:23
Use props
Chole
Beginner
United States

Never use 3rd party battery for DJI product as they have code issues , same thing happening now with gopro hero5 many 3rd party batteries are not working once firmware change you will have problem.
2017-3-19 20:47:13
Use props
solentlife
Intern Pilot
Latvia

To Goafer ..... we have to be careful here as this is a DJI run forum - so they would not be happy about third party items. Better to ask on a non DJI forum to avoid issues.

But - by now you will have seen that its a divided issue, many like me have no problem with non original batterys. I asked around and others who fly P3 that I know confirmed the Irish seller I linked to.

The people advising against non original - I don't see them stating THEY had model fall from sky ... its always 'second / third' hand reporting.

What I will say is - I have had in my hands a DJI battery that only gave one flight before failing. Yes - one flight. Owner was one of our club guys with a P3P ... We decided to open it up to find out why .... the cells were fine ... all showing good voltage and iR. But the board was shot. At no time had that battery been subjected to anything to warrant this. DJI charger used, no crashes ...
We were also surprised at the way the wires etc, were just crammed in - we definitely did not consider it quality workmanship. Sorry DJI - just stating what we saw.

Like everything in life - peace of mind comes with using recc'd known items - not always OEM. Myself and five others in my club buy from the Irish seller I linked to. No failures or problems. Only failure was the DJI OEM battery !

Nigel
2017-3-19 22:55:50
Use props
Michgolden
Hobbyist
United States

No I've not personally had a bad experience with a third party battery. I've always been one to use OE as much as possible especially if there is a warranty involved. I have Arctic Cat snowmobiles so I use Arctic Cat oil although there's less expensive oil out there that would do the job etc. Thats just my personal choice If the Irish seller has good stuff then Goafer, you have a decision to make. Do you're research and weigh the pros and cons like anything else. I've seen the postings that Nigel has put on here about batteries and personally he's got more info on them than i do. Good luck Goafer and happy flying ! Nigel I'm still waiting on that beer!
2017-3-20 18:40:50
Use props
OrlyP
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 10935
Philippines

If the Phantom used 'dumb' batteries, I'd probably be using quality aftermarket cells in a heartbeat.

But since these are 'smart' batteries with their own firmware and other doohickies, I'd stick with the genuine stuff for peace of mind.
2017-3-21 18:34:11
Use props
solentlife
Intern Pilot
Latvia

OrlyP Posted at 2017-3-21 18:34
If the Phantom used 'dumb' batteries, I'd probably be using quality aftermarket cells in a heartbeat.

But since these are 'smart' batteries with their own firmware and other doohickies, I'd stick with the genuine stuff for peace of mind.

Your car - do you always buy the cars original branded parts when servicing / repairs ... change oil etc ?

Nigel
2017-3-21 23:05:06
Use props
GeoffN
Hobbyist
Flight distance : 27299
South Africa

solentlife Posted at 2017-3-19 22:55
To Goafer ..... we have to be careful here as this is a DJI run forum - so they would not be happy about third party items. Better to ask on a non DJI forum to avoid issues.

But - by now you will have seen that its a divided issue, many like me have no problem with non original batterys. I asked around and others who fly P3 that I know confirmed the Irish seller I linked to.

I'd be interested to see any pictures of the inside of the battery. Does seem slightly insane to take a brand-new battery apart when you could have returned it for an exchange/refund!! The genuine battery certainly shouldn't have failed but the odd duff one is to be expected in a mass produced product so I don't think we can hold that against dji.  I'm sure the "copies" will have some failures as well. I'll stick with the genuine and keep the warranty valid.
2017-3-22 00:01:17
Use props
OrlyP
Intern Pilot
Flight distance : 10935
Philippines

solentlife Posted at 2017-3-21 23:05
Your car - do you always buy the cars original branded parts when servicing / repairs ... change oil etc ?

Nigel

Mostly yes. But if an aftermarket part proves superior to the stock ones, I'm ok to use them, not the other way around.

But you're comparing apples to oranges. Unlike the Phantom 3's intelligent flight battery, shock absorbers or car batteries don't have tiny computers in them.

Here's an apples to apples comparison for you... If your car's ECM/PCM breaks down and is beyond repair, would you replace it with a genuine ECM/PCM from the car manufacturer or will you trust an aftermarket one made by a never-heard-of company in China? Remember that the ECM/PCM has a potential to destroy your engine, the same way a knock-off intelligent flight battery can crash your drone.
2017-3-22 00:59:58
Use props
solentlife
Intern Pilot
Latvia

OrlyP Posted at 2017-3-22 00:59
Mostly yes. But if an aftermarket part proves superior to the stock ones, I'm ok to use them, not the other way around.

But you're comparing apples to oranges. Unlike the Phantom 3's intelligent flight battery, shock absorbers or car batteries don't have tiny computers in them.

Sorry but after disassembling ... and checking out the OEM Battery - you certainly attribute far more capability to it than it has in reality !

The extent of its capability falls far short of what people 'think' it does. Proven by tests not only of my own.

Car ECM ... now there's a thing .... it may have a fancy logo .. it may have a bit of code to 'brand' it ... but given that there very few actual manufacturers of ECM in the world who all actually build on a near single format .... It is why the 'upgrade' boys can tweak them ... or as in case of my Volvo XC70 produce more power and capability than the T5 Volvo ... A 3rd party chip replaces the Ford / Volvo / Jaguar chip that was in there.

People do over-exaggerate ......

I have to be careful here as this is a DJI Forum ... so limited in the extent I can post.

Nigel
2017-3-22 02:01:02
Use props
Mark The Droner
Intern Pilot
United States

I need to recant my statement above stating "I've never had one drop from the sky."

http://www.flytrex.com/mission/q ... ark-ennes-6hTg0LY9/
2017-3-22 02:02:10
Use props
solentlife
Intern Pilot
Latvia

GeoffN Posted at 2017-3-22 00:01
I'd be interested to see any pictures of the inside of the battery. Does seem slightly insane to take a brand-new battery apart when you could have returned it for an exchange/refund!! The genuine battery certainly shouldn't have failed but the odd duff one is to be expected in a mass produced product so I don't think we can hold that against dji.  I'm sure the "copies" will have some failures as well. I'll stick with the genuine and keep the warranty valid.

The battery is back with the 'owner' ....

As to asking refund ... the battery came with the P3 and owner had already based on others recc'd bought from the 'Irish' seller two extras.  
When we metered the battery - before opening - we couldn't even get a glimmer of voltage from it. Indicating a contact or other fault rather than the cells. So it was decided by him - to open it and we looked to see if we could detect the fault. He and another in the club are whizzo's with electronics ... they have to be - its their biz. Both of them checked out the board separately and arrived at same conclusion - the board was faulty. It could not be repaired.
But the cells are in very good condition and kept at storage level now for transplant to another pack when anothers cells die.
So the battery pack may not have been refunded or replaced but we had valuable info and also cells ready for transplant. That is our next test phase.

Nigel
2017-3-22 02:07:51
Use props
solentlife
Intern Pilot
Latvia

Pictures inside a pack are actually available on Youtube if you search ... (not ours I add) .... even to how to open the pack.

Nigel
2017-3-22 02:08:39
Use props
mic75
Hobbyist
Flight distance : 409963
Australia

Michgolden Posted at 2017-3-20 18:40
No I've not personally had a bad experience with a third party battery. I've always been one to use OE as much as possible especially if there is a warranty involved. I have Arctic Cat snowmobiles so I use Arctic Cat oil although there's less expensive oil out there that would do the job etc. Thats just my personal choice  If the Irish seller has good stuff then Goafer, you have a decision to make. Do you're research and weigh the pros and cons like anything else. I've seen the postings that Nigel has put on here about batteries and personally he's got more info on them than i do. Good luck Goafer and happy flying ! Nigel I'm still waiting on that beer!

I bet arctic cat don't have a oil refinery
2017-3-22 02:24:36
Use props
mic75
Hobbyist
Australia

OrlyP Posted at 2017-3-22 00:59

car manufacturers generally use the cheapest parts they can, where as aftermarket ecm's wouldn't be a cheap thing. they're not selling millions so they don't have to try and keep the cost down. That's why you pay more for cars like ferraries because everything in it is top quality.
2017-3-22 02:28:25
Use props
solentlife
Intern Pilot
Latvia

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-22 02:28
car manufacturers generally use the cheapest parts they can, where as aftermarket ecm's wouldn't be a cheap thing. they're not selling millions so they don't have to try and keep the cost down. That's why you pay more for cars like ferraries because everything in it is top quality.

In the UK ... Large fleet Fiat dealers were forced to have at least one Ferrari on show ..... such was the dealer near where I lived when in UK.
Sales manager was a pal of mine ...

We were chatting over a pint after a good days model flying and he remarked about how hard it was to sell the 'darned' Ferrari they were forced to have on show.
Few days later I went to see him ... I needed a bit of work done on my 2.8i ..... while his mechanics did the work - we looked over the Ferrari ... and he lifted the engine hood. I could not believe my eyes when he pointed to the linkage used on the multi carb setup ... (this was some years ago !!) .....

It was an incredible likeness to Shanks Toilet Chain !!  But not at Shanks price !!

Nigel
2017-3-22 02:43:46
Use props
Michgolden
Hobbyist
United States

mic75 Posted at 2017-3-22 02:24
I bet arctic cat don't have a oil refinery

Probably not. I doubt there are many manufacturers that make all the products that carry their name. It's more of a point of if it's good enough for the manufacturer to put their name on it then it's good enough for me to use it.
2017-3-22 16:30:04
Use props
mic75
Hobbyist
Australia

Michgolden Posted at 2017-3-22 16:30
Probably not. I doubt there are many manufacturers that make all the products that carry their name. It's more of a point of if it's good enough for the manufacturer to put their name on it then it's good enough for me to use it.

I agree, my point is it doesn't mean there aren't other products as good or better just because they don't have there name on it. They may have gone with that supplier because it was the cheapest oil that met the requirements. It's just piece of mind for the customer.
2017-3-22 17:02:17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 34239
United States

It's not recommended to use 3rd party batteries whatsoever. In addition, recent firmware would not allow for the unit to take off with an invalid battery.
2017-3-22 23:32:32
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 34239
United States

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-3-19 08:49

I would agree with that sentiment.
2017-3-22 23:32:52
Use props
solentlife
Intern Pilot
Latvia

C'mon Jamie .... if you said anything else than support for your own battery's ....

Cheers
Nigel
2017-3-22 23:36:27
Use props
solentlife
Intern Pilot
Latvia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-22 02:02
I need to recant my statement above stating "I've never had one drop from the sky."

"6200 mAh aftermarket battery" ....... care to elaborate on that ?

It's fine quoting one of your own mishaps ... but maybe some more information might be needed ?

You have a short post and then no real info apart from a diagram / graph ....

A 6200 battery is not exactly what is being talked about here ... lets be honest ....

Nigel
2017-3-23 05:55:10
Use props
Mark The Droner
Intern Pilot
United States

We're talking about aftermarket batteries and my aftermarket battery shut itself off after 8 mins of flight.  Actually it was only six and a half minutes of flight because it took me 90 secs to launch.  What other info do you require?  
2017-3-23 06:52:23
Use props
solentlife
Intern Pilot
Latvia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-23 06:52
We're talking about aftermarket batteries and my aftermarket battery shut itself off after 8 mins of flight.  Actually it was only six and a half minutes of flight because it took me 90 secs to launch.  What other info do you require?

No need to get all huffed up ...

As I understand it - OP is asking about 3rd Party batterys with the P3S particularly in mind. He hasn't posted on general - nor has he posted on an all formats / uses Battery forum.

Given your reply - then it would be fine for me to post that the last SLA battery I bought to run my yacht bilge pump failed after 1 months service ? The SLA of course not being Sealine brand ....

I think it as important to qualify a statement as it is to initially make it. Unfortunately its a trait I have to have for my job ...

There would be more than just a few newbies who would not realise you are talking about a different model / battery etc. and assume you meant P3S along with others.

Maybe we should expand this then to include GensAce, Turnigy, CHL, Hyperion, and all the other branded LiPo's and their alternatives and NOT say which ?

Sorry - not trying to be smart - just trying to keep in line with OP ...

Nigel
2017-3-23 08:17:21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Intern Pilot
United States

My battery was a third-party battery designed for use with a DJI Phantom 2 Vision or DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus.  it was the same size, shape, and weight as a stock DJI battery.  The difference is it was sold as a 6000 mAh battery as opposed to a genuine DJI 5200 mAh battery.  It abruptly turned itself off after six and a half minutes of flight with no indications of a problem and my Phantom fell from the sky from a height of 400'.  

The eBay seller quickly refunded my purchase amount, my shipping cost, and didn't even require me to return the battery.  
2017-3-23 08:50:19
Use props
solentlife
Intern Pilot
Latvia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-23 08:50
My battery was a third-party battery designed for use with a DJI Phantom 2 Vision or DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus.  it was the same size, shape, and weight as a stock DJI battery.  The difference is it was sold as a 6000 mAh battery as opposed to a genuine DJI 5200 mAh battery.  It abruptly turned itself off after six and a half minutes of flight with no indications of a problem and my Phantom fell from the sky from a height of 400'.  

The eBay seller quickly refunded my purchase amount, my shipping cost, and didn't even require me to return the battery.

Cheers .... a little bit of detail helps ....

Did you meter the battery to see why it switched off ?

Trouble is with some of the eBay sellers - they get hold of rejected or sub par packs and sell them on as good. Easiest way to detect such once you get it in hand is to load test it to see if voltage drop occurs and how much. Other way of course is to test the iR ....

I suspect that your battery may have been that ... and when you flew - the voltage drop caused failure of the Flight Controller. Supposition of course - only you can tell the results of the battery itself.

Nigel
2017-3-23 11:24:05
Use props
Microcyb
Second Officer
United States

Just say NO
2017-3-23 11:27:50
Use props
Mark The Droner
Intern Pilot
United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-3-23 11:24
Cheers .... a little bit of detail helps ....

Did you meter the battery to see why it switched off ?

The battery will no longer turn on.  

I flew with this battery roughly 15 x over the past four weeks.  I analyzed each flight very carefully.  I have all the logs and studied each one.  There were definitely some strange readings and I could have returned the battery but I was too much in love with the 6000 mAh as it is very very hard to find a legit 6000 mAh battery.  

It's like a pretty girl - you know she's probably going to break your heart but she's too hot not to pursue.

So I took a chance, accepted the risk, and paid the price.  This isn't my first hard crash and the bird will be back in the air in a short while guaranteed.  

If you're really interested in the "strange readings" I'll be happy to tell you about them.  

2017-3-23 11:38:42
Use props
CCrew
Student Pilot
Flight distance : 12670

solentlife Posted at 2017-3-21 23:05

Nigel

If I had a Prius you're darned tooting I'd buy a Toyota battery.
2017-3-23 11:45:15
Use props
Brum Ken
Hobbyist
United Kingdom

Stick to original ones cant go wrong bud
2017-3-23 12:46:42
Use props
Cabansail
Intern Pilot
Australia

My P3S came with two batteries. I have flown it mainly with one of them and the other was kept as a back up. It was some time later that I found that the battery which I was using was not genuine. It has shown the exact same performance as the genuine one.

I have found the same with camera batteries. Some non-genuine one's are fine but then there are some which are not good. The genuine article you know they are made to a specification and quality. The non-genuine article has no such assurance.

With the camera batteries they are often less than a quarter of the price of the genuine one and the price for failure is having to put in another battery. The DJI batteries seems to be maybe 25-30% more than the non-genuine product. To me that is not enough to lose the peace of mind.

I will continue to use both batteries I have as the non-genuine one has proven itself but if I were to buy more at this stage it would be genuine.
2017-3-23 15:25:42
Use props
12Next >
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules

Close

DJI RecommendsPrevious /1 Next