My gimbal always shakes
1387 10 2017-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
seredenin_al-sp
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17126 ft
Russia

Hello. I have a great problem. My gimbal shakes, when i fly. I dont know what have happend. I have no crashes, i have the latest firmware on my drone, the gimbal IMU are calibrated. help me please. Maybe somebody reseived this problem. The example is in the file. https://yadi.sk/i/3CvXkP8d3FdFn4
2017-3-19
Use props
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

This happened to me too.  You need to recalibrate your IMU.  Sometimes the IMU can get out of wack and you just need to recalibrate it (recalibrate your gimbal while your at it.

Do NOT just hit recalibrate in the Go app though, there is a special way you have to do it to get it done right:

The IMU should be calibrated COLD, and I mean that litterally, the colder it physically is the better, you may want to stick your Phantom 4 in the freezer for about 20 minutes or so before starting, just remove the battery before you put it in (no I am not kidding).

The IMU must be as level and free from vibrations as possible during the calibration.  When I did mine I placed a sheet of window glass on top of 4 rubber washers (one in each corner) on a flat table, then I used a spirit level to check it for level in 4 axis, up, down, corner to corner one way, then corner to corner the other way and used single sheets of paper beneath the rubber washers, one at a time until the glass was perfectly level in all 4 directions.  The rubber washers were to help isolate the glass from vibrations.

Once you have your level surface set up:
Tun the Phantom 4 on
Connect with the app,and  enter the camera
Go to the calibration screen, but do NOT start the calibration, just keep that screen open to that spot
Turn off the Phantom 4 (while leaving the Go app running)
Remove the battery from the Phantom 4
Place the Phantom 4 in your freezer and leave it there for at least 20 minutes (do NOT put the battery in the freezer)
After 20 minutes, remove the Phantom 4 from the freezer and reinsert the battery and turn it on while you RUN to your calibration surface
Gently place the Phantom 4 on top of the glass
Your Go app should have reconnected by now, so start the calibration (The reason you are running and had the app already on the start screen is because you want to start the calibration as soon as possible when the Phantom 4 exists the refrigerator, the colder the IMUs are when you start the calibration the better.)
LEAVE THE ROOM, and GENTLY close the door behind you and avoid loud noises and unnecessary movement or vibrations while the IMU is calibrating
After awhile carefully return to the room and varify that the calibration has completed
Now, without moving the Phantom 4 from the glass plate, start the gimble calibration
Once the gimbal finishes calibrating your done, the shake should be gone.
2017-3-19
Use props
seredenin_al-sp
lvl.1
Russia

Thank you very much. I'll try to do ewerything of it. I hope it will help.
2017-3-20
Use props
ZS1SSM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 123146 ft
South Africa

9245 Posted at 2017-3-19 21:51
This happened to me too.  You need to recalibrate your IMU.  Sometimes the IMU can get out of wack and you just need to recalibrate it (recalibrate your gimbal while your at it.

Do NOT just hit recalibrate in the Go app though, there is a special way you have to do it to get it done right:

Are you kidding me ?
2017-3-21
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

9245 Posted at 2017-3-19 21:51

Putting it in the freezer is going overboard.. Also you can get to the IMU calibration screen without the drone being turned on - just make sure the remote is on.. if you put the drone in the freezer you will cause condensation on it and literally get the internals wet.. NOT GOOD!! Bad advice man.. Where did you get your instructions from??
2017-3-21
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

seredenin_al-sp Posted at 2017-3-20 06:04
Thank you very much. I'll try to do ewerything of it. I hope it will help.

DO NOT PUT YOUR PHANTOM IN THE FREEZER!
2017-3-21
Use props
lvl.4
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-3-21 08:54
Putting it in the freezer is going overboard.. Also you can get to the IMU calibration screen without the drone being turned on - just make sure the remote is on.. if you put the drone in the freezer you will cause condensation on it and literally get the internals wet.. NOT GOOD!! Bad advice man.. Where did you get your instructions from??

It worked for me.  Comdemsation is why I limited it to 20 minutes.  As for who told me, it was ome of the DJI techs.

It worked for me, I didn't damage anything and the IMU has been perfect ever since.
2017-3-21
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213222 ft
United States

Maybe cut back on the caffeine!#Quick Reply Here#
2017-3-21
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213222 ft
United States

Maybe cut back in the caffeine!
2017-3-21
Use props
seredenin_al-sp
lvl.1
Russia

I didn't put my phantom in the freezer, i puted it in the balcony. The middle temperature was about 8 degrees plus. After thet i calibrated it IMU, Gimbal, but nothing helped again, unfortunately. The camera or gimbal shakes again. I dont know what to do, maybe somebody have any another ideas? I'm at a loss.
2017-3-21
Use props
lvl.4
United States

seredenin_al-sp Posted at 2017-3-21 20:10
I didn't put my phantom in the freezer, i puted it in the balcony. The middle temperature was about 8 degrees plus. After thet i calibrated it IMU, Gimbal, but nothing helped again, unfortunately. The camera or gimbal shakes again. I dont know what to do, maybe somebody have any another ideas? I'm at a loss.

You isolated it from vibrations and didn't allow it to warm up before starting the calibration?  I meant it when I said you had to run (you only have seconds after turning it on before the IMU warms up).  Assuming you did all that than I have no idea.  You might have a defective unit.

The only other things I can suggest is to make sure you have the latest firmware.  It could also be an issue with high winds or aggressive turning, but we would have to see a video to get an idea.

Sometimes my camera will "flop" to one side if I make a very aggressive turn, especially if the winds are high.  The shake you see might also be wind buffetting, but it would have to be blowing pretty severe for that.

Every once in a while though they do release a bad one, they are generally pretty good with replacing them though.
2017-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules