Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic suddenly falls from the sky
9719 36 2017-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ab22
New
Flight distance : 9659 ft
Australia

Hi Everyone, flying my new Mavic yesterday, i was taking some shots of surfers sitting about 10m off the beach and was 7m high so well clear of danger with 78% battery on both Drone and Controller. I switched to active track and selected a target, which then ended up passing under the drone and out of its field of view. Before i even had the chance to turn the drone around, i looked up to see the drone simply fall out of the sky into the surf.
Having thought i was at fault i checked the log and it shows the drone fly into positing hover for 10 seconds then when active track is selected it just rapidly drops with no record of the joysticks being touched. Even if it was attempting to land for whatever reason it should have lowered and pulled up slightly as it normally does when landing, but instead fell like a brick into the surf. From watching it, it looked as if everything just turned off and it dropped.
To my understanding i cant see anything i have done to cause the drone to just cut power and drop, but thought i would check before going down the faulty unit path. Has this happened to anyone else where it just cuts power and drops? Is this issue somehow related to active track feature?

Thanks in advance for your help.
2017-3-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Have you checked for irregularities in the battery, you should see this in your logs, I would also make sure you sync your flight to dji cloud in the app.
2017-3-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Really sorry to hear about your experience.
Did you recover your drone?
Please sync your flight records from the DJI Go app and send an email to support@dji.com with your DJI account email and the date this occurred.
They can analyze the data and let you know what could have caused the issue.
2017-3-19
Use props
ab22
New
Flight distance : 9659 ft
Australia

Thanks for your response hallmark007 had a look at the Battery data and everything says normal.

Thanks DJI Mindy will send everything over.
2017-3-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

ab22 Posted at 2017-3-19 18:04
Thanks for your response hallmark007 had a look at the Battery data and everything says normal.

Thanks DJI Mindy will send everything over.

If you have any further query, please feel free to let me know.
Click the "reply" button so I can see you are responding to me.
2017-3-19
Use props
n_rapallo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 134409 ft
Canada

While my Mavic Pro didn't lose power mid-flight it nevertheless crashed to the ground under similar circumstances when using the Point of Interest tracking mode (for the first time).

In my case, I ascended to a height of about 180ft and hovered there while engaging the Point of Interest mode.  I flew out to a radius of about 60ft and just as I was adjusting the gimbal view to point at my point of interest to do the fly around, it proceeded to fly erratically without any input from the controller.

I could see/hear the Mavic Pro was in distress (it started to descend!!), and efforts to lift/raise the Mavic back up met with no success.  

I watched it crash to the ground and in the process breaking the gimbal connection off the Mavic and busting off one rear rotor motor.

I too don't know what really happened and have started the process to have it repaired.  I was using the android DJI GO 4 version 4.0.4 with a Samsung S6 Edge phone with the latest firmware (.500).  I got three warning messages: Two mid-air (1) Motor Idling (Loose or Missing Propeller) and (2) Warning Braking now! Return sticks to midpoints first. The third it seems while it was on the ground (3) Warning Weak Signal. Avoid being blocked or adjust the antenna direction.

My flight log is available for analysis here.

Anyone heard of other instances where the Special Tracking modes have been at fault for a crash?

Regards,
-Nick
2017-3-21
Use props
Håkan K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 262946 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

n_rapallo Posted at 2017-3-21 13:19
While my Mavic Pro didn't lose power mid-flight it nevertheless crashed to the ground under similar circumstances when using the Point of Interest tracking mode (for the first time).

In my case, I ascended to a height of about 180ft and hovered there while engaging the Point of Interest mode.  I flew out to a radius of about 60ft and just as I was adjusting the gimbal view to point at my point of interest to do the fly around, it proceeded to fly erratically without any input from the controller.

It appears you had issues already before entering the POI mode. If looking at your data and the map it never became a circle which a POI will make.  To me it looks like an issue with either the motor or what is driving it. Or maybe as the warning messge says a propeller came loose. Was your propellers looking OK after the crash?
2017-3-22
Use props
n_rapallo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 134409 ft
Canada

Håkan K Posted at 2017-3-22 09:24
It appears you had issues already before entering the POI mode. If looking at your data and the map it never became a circle which a POI will make.  To me it looks like an issue with either the motor or what is driving it. Or maybe as the warning messge says a propeller came loose. Was your propellers looking OK after the crash?

You may be right... the issues started just before (or as I was) engaging that POI mode.

About 30 seconds after take-off, I opened the Point of View mode while the Mavic was hovering 180ft (60m) above. Everything appeared stable and I had good GPS and remote controller connections. Nothing seemed wrong.  The props were ok then and working fine for the first minute or so.

As I setup the point of interest to fly around, I quickly focused at infinity (far away point) and then adjusted the gimbal down to the center of interest, just before (or as I was) engaging the POI mode.  I actually thought I started the mode then, as I saw the Mavic fly off on its own (but sadly only to witness it fall from the sky). No pictures had yet been taken on this flight.

To see this flight in 3D, I reviewed the .kml file available at HeathlyDrones.com with Google Earth Pro and see it seems the Mavic might have even started its arc around (counter-clockwise)... by itself, but then a few seconds later suffered prop/rotor distress.  After crashing to the ground, one rear rotor motor busted off and had no prop. The front motor on that same side had its arm ripped from the socket by the impact and also had no prop.  The other side had its props, though only one seem to survive intact.  

The ground was grassy but frozen and has since become snow covered again.  I'm going to go out when the weather improves (here in Canada) to see what remains I can find...

Regards,
-Nick
2017-3-22
Use props
fanse622820a
New
Flight distance : 6703 ft
United States

n_rapallo Posted at 2017-3-22 10:23
You may be right... the issues started just before (or as I was) engaging that POI mode.

About 30 seconds after take-off, I opened the Point of View mode while the Mavic was hovering 180ft (60m) above. Everything appeared stable and I had good GPS and remote controller connections. Nothing seemed wrong.  The props were ok then and working fine for the first minute or so.

My Maivic on it's third flight was hovering at 100 feet and then just dropped out of the sky. Needless to say, there was a lot of damage. I sent it to DJI and they said it was "pilot error" and wants $360 to repair. I have since made numerous calls without reaching anybody. I have sent numerous emails and they just replay that my case is being reviewed. This Mavic problem of "falling out of the sky" is a real one. I am out $1400 for my Mavic and batteries and DJI has  my broken drone. I can't get any answers from them other than delay tactics. I think the public need to be aware of this defect and be encouraged not to buy DJI. For those of us who have lost our drones, I wonder if we should unite in a class action lawsuit. I am extremely frustrated.
2017-5-25
Use props
Mac81
New
Flight distance : 31975 ft
Switzerland

The same happened to me today. I am terribly frustrated. My Mavic hovered about 20m away from me, when suddenly it just turned off and fell from the sky like a stone. The bad thing is, that it fell down from the mountain about 200m down and crashed in the rocks. I will never get it back and lost so much money and I didn't do anything wrong. :-(
2017-6-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mac81 Posted at 2017-6-3 13:31
The same happened to me today. I am terribly frustrated. My Mavic hovered about 20m away from me, when suddenly it just turned off and fell from the sky like a stone. The bad thing is, that it fell down from the mountain about 200m down and crashed in the rocks. I will never get it back and lost so much money and I didn't do anything wrong. :-(

We feel sorry about the accident, please sync your flight records from the DJI Go app and create a ticket (https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area) to send the drone back to analyze the reason. If it's malfunction in warranty, we will repair it without any cost.
2017-6-4
Use props
Mac81
New
Flight distance : 31975 ft
Switzerland

Hi Mindy, I cannot send it back. My drone is crashed and lost in the mountains. Already sent a detailed email with all information to your support email.
2017-6-5
Use props
fans6b14fc11
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3119432 ft
Hong Kong

My Mavic Pro fell off the sky on the 9th, after owning the drone for only 2 weeks.

It was only less than 10 minutes into the flight. It was at 300ft , flying stable with good RC, GPS and compass signals. Weather condition was also very good.

It lost control suddenly and dropped like a rock, there wasnt any RC input before the drop as I was trying to take some stable shots over the shore. Lucky it dropped on heavy bushes so no major physical damage can be seen outside. (I got more scratches myself trying to recover the drone.) . Inside, tho, I think is totally ruined as the DJIGo4 app is showing a long list of defects.

More detail of my flight can be found here. http://app.airdata.com/main?share=pqPNbm

I have lost confident to the Mavic totally.

2017-7-12
Use props
hyprfrco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10148 ft
Chile

It appears all of the DJI line of drones have really serious default problems of any kinds, and is principally focusing on expanding sales instead of bringing a failproof product.

I was normally flying my Mavic pro, then suddenly, a very intimidating "Braking Now!. Return Sticks to Midpoints First" error appeared, after that, the drone started to rotate their propellers at maximum speed, believing there was an -invisible- obstacle, and then it impacted a -this time for real- obstacle. Diagnosis: Gimbal and One Leg Broken.

What happens? Nobody will never know, maybe the sun over the camera crystal, maybe the Mavic entered P-ATTI mode during flight by losing the P-GPS mode, maybe some incorrect assumptions on the vision system? Who knows.

I think this product has a very potent marketing, but no, the technology is not yet developed. Sensors so very crappy for the task, too many software failures -in-board and remote-side-....

DJI Drones: Made to Crash!
2017-7-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans6b14fc11 Posted at 2017-7-12 04:26
My Mavic Pro fell off the sky on the 9th, after owning the drone for only 2 weeks.

It was only less than 10 minutes into the flight. It was at 300ft , flying stable with good RC, GPS and compass signals. Weather condition was also very good.

We are sorry for the mishap experience, please sync the flight record and contact our support to raise a ticket, our data analysis team will help to judge if it's malfunction or not. We are sorry for the inconvenience that has been caused.
2017-7-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

hyprfrco Posted at 2017-7-14 17:54
It appears all of the DJI line of drones have really serious default problems of any kinds, and is principally focusing on expanding sales instead of bringing a failproof product.

I was normally flying my Mavic pro, then suddenly, a very intimidating "Braking Now!. Return Sticks to Midpoints First" error appeared, after that, the drone started to rotate their propellers at maximum speed, believing there was an -invisible- obstacle, and then it impacted a -this time for real- obstacle. Diagnosis: Gimbal and One Leg Broken.

You cannot say all the crash accident are caused by malfunction. We do apologize for the trouble you’ve been inflicted. Our analysis team will try their best to analyze the precise reason of the mishap, DJI will be responsible for the charge if it's malfunction in warranty.
Please contact our support to create a ticket and we will help to get it addressed.
2017-7-16
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Hong Kong

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-16 23:24
We are sorry for the mishap experience, please sync the flight record and contact our support to raise a ticket, our data analysis team will help to judge if it's malfunction or not. We are sorry for the inconvenience that has been caused.

Hello Mindy,

Thanks so much for the reply.

My mavic have been sent to the shop in Hong Kong to check, unfortunately the staff have fail to sent me an updated email confirmation of reception of my gears after I decided to add 2 more batteries to the original service request.

I have called into the shop many many times to enquire but no one have replied until now.

Is there any chance that you can help me to follow up?

The case number is CAS-795718-G2F3Q6, it should have totally 3 batteries, instead of 1.

Thanks so much
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

SteWong Posted at 2017-7-17 08:56
Hello Mindy,

Thanks so much for the reply.

I'm sorry for the late response, I have contacted the colleague in Hong Kong store, they have sent you an email, please check.
2017-7-18
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Hong Kong

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-18 00:38
I'm sorry for the late response, I have contacted the colleague in Hong Kong store, they have sent you an email, please check.

Thanks so much, the mentioned email has arrived. Thanks again for your help.
2017-7-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

SteWong Posted at 2017-7-18 01:52
Thanks so much, the mentioned email has arrived. Thanks again for your help.

You are very welcome. Please keep me updated if you need further assistance.
2017-7-18
Use props
SteWong
lvl.4
Hong Kong

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-18 02:05
You are very welcome. Please keep me updated if you need further assistance.

Sure, thanks so much. I miss my Mavic a lot
2017-7-18
Use props
fans3a10da1b
New
Flight distance : 363484 ft
Australia

my drone fell out of the air, they are saying i crashed in into the water. how dji when you can't hit the ground when not landing in GPS mode?
2017-11-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans3a10da1b Posted at 2017-11-27 01:07
my drone fell out of the air, they are saying i crashed in into the water. how dji when you can't hit the ground when not landing in GPS mode?

We are sorry to hear about the accident, may I have the case number? So that I can check more details for better support, thank you.
2017-11-27
Use props
djiuser_whHNDIO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2638 ft
Sweden

Hi,

I took my Mavic Pro for a third ride and had similar problems. I did a very short flight with about 70% battery, took it up to about 72m a few minutes to take a photo. Then a saw warning for motor current and to fly carefully. Then I pressed the "Return to Home"-button. It started to land normally (which it had done successfully about three times before) and then suddenly about 5m up in the air it just completely shut down the rotors and dropped like a brick from the sky. I did not touch the controls. No error message on the screen. The bottom plastic holder of the gimbal broke, so now the gimbal is broken, but the camera works. I really didn't expect this behaviour on a completely new drone. I've synced the flight data from the control.
2018-1-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

djiuser_whHNDIO Posted at 2018-1-10 07:57
Hi,

I took my Mavic Pro for a third ride and had similar problems. I did a very short flight with about 70% battery, took it up to about 72m a few minutes to take a photo. Then a saw warning for motor current and to fly carefully. Then I pressed the "Return to Home"-button. It started to land normally (which it had done successfully about three times before) and then suddenly about 5m up in the air it just completely shut down the rotors and dropped like a brick from the sky. I did not touch the controls. No error message on the screen. The bottom plastic holder of the gimbal broke, so now the gimbal is broken, but the camera works. I really didn't expect this behaviour on a completely new drone. I've synced the flight data from the control.

Sorry for your unexpected experience. In your case, I would recommend you contact our support and send it back for further check: http://www.dji.com/support. In addition, if your mavic is under warranty, you can provide the flight data to us and we will try our best to locate the problem for you. Thanks for you support.  
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_whHNDIO
lvl.1
Sweden

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-1-11 00:17
Sorry for your unexpected experience. In your case, I would recommend you contact our support and send it back for further check: http://www.dji.com/support. In addition, if your mavic is under warranty, you can provide the flight data to us and we will try our best to locate the problem for you. Thanks for you support.

Thanks,

I have contacted support and got good response so far. A case has been opened and I have provided the flight data. I will update here how it goes.
2018-1-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_whHNDIO Posted at 2018-1-11 13:25
Thanks,

I have contacted support and got good response so far. A case has been opened and I have provided the flight data. I will update here how it goes.

Thanks for coming back to us, the repair team will take good care of your case and please keep us updated with the case number if you need any assistance, we will do our best to help.
2018-1-11
Use props
djiuser_whHNDIOoz890
lvl.1
Sweden

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-1-11 21:17
Thanks for coming back to us, the repair team will take good care of your case and please keep us updated with the case number if you need any assistance, we will do our best to help.

For information I received swift help from DJI and I got my drone back repaired fast. Thanks for the good service. I'm still wondering what happened though.
2018-2-12
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

djiuser_whHNDIOoz890 Posted at 2018-2-12 13:09
For information I received swift help from DJI and I got my drone back repaired fast. Thanks for the good service. I'm still wondering what happened though.

Could you please provide me with your case number? We would love to help to check for you.
2018-2-12
Use props
djiuser_whHNDIOoz890
lvl.1
Sweden

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-12 17:28
Could you please provide me with your case number? We would love to help to check for you.

I sent the case nr as PM.
2018-2-16
Use props
djiuser_tfNCAlWfZNVd
lvl.1

Germany

n_rapallo Posted at 2017-3-21 13:19

Hi there,
I got a comparable problem just now. My mavic air just dropped in the water with no error messages whatsoever. Im a little scared because sometimes you may hit somebody or something, when drones just fall out of the sky. It was also when I tried to adjust the gimbal...
2019-6-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_tfNCAlWfZNVd Posted at 6-10 10:38
Hi there,
I got a comparable problem just now. My mavic air just dropped in the water with no error messages whatsoever. Im a little scared because sometimes you may hit somebody or something, when drones just fall out of the sky. It was also when I tried to adjust the gimbal...

Hi there, we apologize for the crash accident, did you retrieve the drone in the end? If the drone is still under warranty, please contact our support team www.dji.com/support to start a ticket for the data analysis, the team will help figure out what happened and provide the proper resolution, thanks.
2019-6-10
Use props
Paul Higgs
New

Yes, I just recently was hovering at 225 ft. and my mavic pro simply dropped from the sky for no reason.  What did Mavic say?
2019-10-1
Use props
Paul Higgs
New

fanse622820a Posted at 2017-5-25 19:07
My Maivic on it's third flight was hovering at 100 feet and then just dropped out of the sky. Needless to say, there was a lot of damage. I sent it to DJI and they said it was "pilot error" and wants $360 to repair. I have since made numerous calls without reaching anybody. I have sent numerous emails and they just replay that my case is being reviewed. This Mavic problem of "falling out of the sky" is a real one. I am out $1400 for my Mavic and batteries and DJI has  my broken drone. I can't get any answers from them other than delay tactics. I think the public need to be aware of this defect and be encouraged not to buy DJI. For those of us who have lost our drones, I wonder if we should unite in a class action lawsuit. I am extremely frustrated.

I just recently lost a drone by it simply falling from 200 ft.
2019-10-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Paul Higgs Posted at 10-1 09:11
Yes, I just recently was hovering at 225 ft. and my mavic pro simply dropped from the sky for no reason.  What did Mavic say?

Hi Paul, sorry to read the accident. Just to verify, has the drone been retrieved or not? If not and the unit is still under warranty period, please kindly start a case here: https://www.dji.com/support We'll arrange data analysis and offer you a proper solution.
2019-10-2
Use props
djiuser_Njoz2JFEJVJr
New

Nigeria

My mavic air suddenly falls from 12ft height to the ground for the first time,  I don't know if factory reset or firmware update would fix it? Pls I need help it's all I've got.
2020-9-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

djiuser_Njoz2JFEJVJr Posted at 9-14 21:04
My mavic air suddenly falls from 12ft height to the ground for the first time,  I don't know if factory reset or firmware update would fix it? Pls I need help it's all I've got.

Hi there, I'm sorry about the accident. Please kindly contact our support at the link below to open a case and send the drone in, we'll submit a data analysis to find out the cause if the drone is under warranty. And we will provide you with the corresponding offer based on the analysis result.
http://www.dji.com/support
2020-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules