Dedicated Android tablet recommendation
5860 30 2017-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zorker
lvl.1

United States

I'd like more screen real estate and I'm looking to purchase an Android based tablet that will be dedicated solely for use with my Mavic. I'm looking for input from users here. What have your experiences been? Specifically I'm looking for: fit (the corners need to lock into the remote, brightness of the display (particularly in sunny conditions), and stability (zero or infrequent app crashes). Of course I'd like for it to have GPS capability as well.

Suggestions? In fact, I'm also looking for any negative input, meaning I'd like to know if you've tried a tablet that hasn't worked out so well.

Thanks in advance for your input!

2017-3-19
Use props
JohnMcL7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15295 ft
United Kingdom

As someone who dislikes Apple and much prefers Android, if I was buying a device specifically for the Mavic it would be an Apple Ipad Mini 4 Cellular (as it has GPS whereas the Wifi versions don't), DJI's support for Android unfortunately is terrible and if anything seems to be getting worse in recent updates.  The Ipad Mini on the other hand is well supported and consistently stable which the Android version isn't.

The Nvidia Shield K1 was a popular choice but since it's update to v7 Nougat, it now seems unstable with DJI Go 4 and even if stability improves, there's no guarantee it will stay that way.  
2017-3-19
Use props
Grumps
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16610876 ft
United States

JohnMcL7 Posted at 2017-3-19 17:29
As someone who dislikes Apple and much prefers Android, if I was buying a device specifically for the Mavic it would be an Apple Ipad Mini 4 Cellular (as it has GPS whereas the Wifi versions don't), DJI's support for Android unfortunately is terrible and if anything seems to be getting worse in recent updates.  The Ipad Mini on the other hand is well supported and consistently stable which the Android version isn't.

The Nvidia Shield K1 was a popular choice but since it's update to v7 Nougat, it now seems unstable with DJI Go 4 and even if stability improves, there's no guarantee it will stay that way.

Have to agree with this. Although some have had good luck with Android I went through 2 android tablets (Samsung Tab 4 and Nvidia Shield K1). The first was the Samsung and it had serious lag issues and crashed every couple of flights. The Nvidia is very fast but the screen is kind of dark. It worked great until the Nougat update. Then it started crashing 2 or 3 times every flight. Then, about a month ago, I got the Ipad Mini 4 cellular. At least as fast as the Nvidia, if not faster, brighter, and not a crash in a month ( I fly 6 to 10 flights a day).

Also, the Mini 4 has a built in barometer so if you use AutoPilot, their follow me mode can follow your elevation changes unlike GO4.
2017-3-19
Use props
K4Unl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122175 ft
Netherlands

Grumps Posted at 2017-3-19 22:09
Have to agree with this. Although some have had good luck with Android I went through 2 android tablets (Samsung Tab 4 and Nvidia Shield K1). The first was the Samsung and it had serious lag issues and crashed every couple of flights. The Nvidia is very fast but the screen is kind of dark. It worked great until the Nougat update. Then it started crashing 2 or 3 times every flight. Then, about a month ago, I got the Ipad Mini 4 cellular. At least as fast as the Nvidia, if not faster, brighter, and not a crash in a month ( I fly 6 to 10 flights a day).

Also, the Mini 4 has a built in barometer so if you use AutoPilot, their follow me mode can follow your elevation changes unlike GO4.

I do prefer the Shield K1, i just haven't ran the update yet, untill i read on multiple sites that they no longer have issues with it.

While i agree that the screen can be dark, i never had any issues viewing anything on it while flying out in the sun.

That being said: I may order a sunhood...
2017-3-19
Use props
ngvuanh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

I am using my Xperia Z4 Tablet (SGP771) with Android 7 Nougat without any problem.
2017-3-20
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Does the iPad mini 4 fit into the brackets of RC ?
2017-3-20
Use props
ngvuanh
lvl.3
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-3-20 04:52

Long edge of iPad mini is about 200mm but RC bracket only supports up to 160mm
2017-3-20
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

ngvuanh Posted at 2017-3-20 08:12

Do you own an IPad Mini?  Plenty of threads on the forum discussing the use of the Mini 4.  It fits perfectly in between the brackets when they are spread out.
2017-3-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-3-20 04:52

Yes, the mini just fits and works great.
2017-3-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ngvuanh Posted at 2017-3-20 08:12

The iPad Mini fits into the holders, you just have to remove the side cable and plastic slider that the cable plug fits into
Capture.JPG
2017-3-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

As the other post suggested, the Mini 3 or 4 work incredibly well along with a short 12" Lightning cable.
2017-3-20
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

The Samsung Tab S2 should be the perfect Android device for your Mavic.  It fits perfectly,  has a great screen and more than enough processing power. Early version adopters were extremely happy with the S2, so on the strength of such recommendation I purchased one over Xmas.

It has never been able to connect with the controller since I've had it. If seems later versions of the S2 will not work with the Mavic controller. I haven't tried WiFi mode as it's so limiting and useless for my purpose. I am very disappointed!!!
2017-3-20
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

I would go with an iPad mini 4 if you want latest updates and best performance.
2017-3-20
Use props
Kalibr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 59416 ft
United States

I also agree. I've never owned an Apple product. I tried using several high-end Android devices but kept  experiencing app crashes and disconnects, which caused loss of control of my Mavic on some occasions. I finally bit the bullet and purchased an iPad Mini 4 (cellular) two months ago. After dozens of flights, I can happily report I have not had any issues at all.
2017-3-20
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

definitely the nvidia shield k1 because i can use my fatshark goggles as it has hdmi out,but either make sure its on version 6.01 not 7.0 or you will have to downgrade the firmware on the tab and buy a 8" tab adaptor there are loads on ebay
2017-3-20
Use props
Zorker
lvl.1

United States

What features rely on the GPS of the tablet? I know that Follow Me does and also to have it return to home when you move. I don't care about either of those features. Are there other features that rely on the GPS of the tablet? If it were just those two, I'd just stick to a Wifi device.
2017-3-20
Use props
ngvuanh
lvl.3
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2017-3-20 08:19
Do you own an IPad Mini?  Plenty of threads on the forum discussing the use of the Mini 4.  It fits perfectly in between the brackets when they are spread out.

So, you think I don't have it, do you? Do you even need me to prove it?
2017-3-20
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003150 ft
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-3-20 09:36
The Samsung Tab S2 should be the perfect Android device for your Mavic.  It fits perfectly,  has a great screen and more than enough processing power. Early version adopters were extremely happy with the S2, so on the strength of such recommendation I purchased one over Xmas.

It has never been able to connect with the controller since I've had it. If seems later versions of the S2 will not work with the Mavic controller. I haven't tried WiFi mode as it's so limiting and useless for my purpose. I am very disappointed!!!

I also have a new model S2 and the only way I can get it to work is to have it completely turned off then turn on controller and Mavic then turn on the tablet last. Works perfect. Very little if any lag in flight and no crashed app. But it is a pain when it does updates because it has to reconnect after the update. I also have tried several android tablets and this seems to work the best even with its limitations. I just can't support apple.
2017-3-20
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Gmman Posted at 2017-3-20 18:11
I also have a new model S2 and the only way I can get it to work is to have it completely turned off then turn on controller and Mavic then turn on the tablet last. Works perfect. Very little if any lag in flight and no crashed app. But it is a pain when it does updates because it has to reconnect after the update. I also have tried several android tablets and this seems to work the best even with its limitations. I just can't support apple.

So by completely turned off, do you mean the last thing you do is boot up the S2 once it's connected to the live Mavic and controller? I haven't tried that and would be happy to use it as such if it were to work for me. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Do you have to invoke DJI go (or any other Drone apps) or are they presented once the S2 has finished booting up and connected to the controller?
2017-3-20
Use props
Socalrob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

I caved and ordered an iPad mini 4, I just got too fed up with waiting for a real fix for my android devices. I've had my mavic since early December and because of glitches with my LG v20 phone and now my nvidia shield, I haven't trusted flying any kind of distance. As for the shield I didn't really care for the screen brightness although the sunhood I used made it acceptable. I'm hoping the iPad mini 4 is a little better with the brightness, I have a hood for it also.
2017-3-20
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Socalrob Posted at 2017-3-20 19:21
I caved and ordered an iPad mini 4, I just got too fed up with waiting for a real fix for my android devices. I've had my mavic since early December and because of glitches with my LG v20 phone and now my nvidia shield, I haven't trusted flying any kind of distance. As for the shield I didn't really care for the screen brightness although the sunhood I used made it acceptable. I'm hoping the iPad mini 4 is a little better with the brightness, I have a hood for it also.

Just a tip for the ipad mini 4, I found that when I turned the brightness to 100%, I could see the screen in bright daylight. This works better than the auto brightness. One other thing to remember is that the ipad is also optimised for polarised sunglasses but only in portrait mode and the DGI GO app is landscape only.
2017-3-20
Use props
mstevens
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19078 ft
United States

ngvuanh Posted at 2017-3-20 17:59
So, you think I don't have it, do you? Do you even need me to prove it?

I of course have no idea what tablet(s) you have.

However, if you have an iPad Mini 4, then why would yours not fit when those belonging to so very many other people do fit?
2017-3-20
Use props
fansc73d3cec
lvl.3
Flight distance : 33570 ft
Australia

When are they releasing the dji screen
2017-3-21
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-3-20 18:46
So by completely turned off, do you mean the last thing you do is boot up the S2 once it's connected to the live Mavic and controller? I haven't tried that and would be happy to use it as such if it were to work for me. I'll give it a go tomorrow. Do you have to invoke DJI go (or any other Drone apps) or are they presented once the S2 has finished booting up and connected to the controller?

Yes tablet completely turned off. Once the Mavic and controller are turned on and connected then turn on the tablet once the tablet boots up unlock the screen and the GO4 app should be already up and ready to open and it should be ready to fly. Good luck.
2017-3-21
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Gmman Posted at 2017-3-21 02:11
Yes tablet completely turned off. Once the Mavic and controller are turned on and connected then turn on the tablet once the tablet boots up unlock the screen and the GO4 app should be already up and ready to open and it should be ready to fly. Good luck.

Gmman,  you are a flipping genius !!! I can vouch for your amazing discovery,  it absolutely works.
How did you find out about this, just trial and error?
I haven't flown for more than 10 minutes as I had to get on here immediately to thank you.  I will spread the word as there are others I've spoken to with the same problem but no one has suggested your cure that I have seen.
Thank you so much,  I can't tell you how grateful I am to you. Three months I've been trying to get this S2  to work with no luck.  I'll try not to get too emotional,  but I will love you for ever Gmman !
2017-3-21
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

In fairness there is a thread somewhere here on the forum that I was following but it's up to eight pages now,  which I hadn't
looked at recently until just now.  Page 7 gives this advice, but it doesn't detract from my indebtedness to Gmman.
2017-3-21
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-3-21 11:30
In fairness there is a thread somewhere here on the forum that I was following but it's up to eight pages now,  which I hadn't
looked at recently until just now.  Page 7 gives this advice, but it doesn't detract from my indebtedness to Gmman.

Your very welcome. Wish I was the one who figured  it out. I also found it on here. I too was very frustrated with everything I had tried. The only gadget that I could find that worked was my s5 phone. But was way to small. After purchasing 3 tablets I finally found this to work great. And if you do get disconnected don't panic just reboot the tablet and it will reconnect perfectly.  Have fun flying now lets see some footage!
2017-3-21
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I've been using my Samsung S6 to fly the Mavic since I got it  last October.  Work commitments,  inclement weather,  RTM for a camera fault have all conspired to give only a handful of hours flying time. Phtogrammetry  using Altizure is captivating me and with pre planned flights queuing up on this tablet it's only the weather that is holding me back now. Thanks again.
https://www.altizure.com/project/58c556d74a69c5560614e60e/model
2017-3-21
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Gmman Posted at 2017-3-21 02:11

I've made a short YouTube video demonstrating how the Mavic will connect to the latter variants of the Samsung Tab S2. I have credited Gmman in the description for his advice he gave me here on this forum.
2017-3-22
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
United States

rick39 Posted at 2017-3-22 11:10
I've made a short YouTube video demonstrating how the Mavic will connect to the latter variants of the Samsung Tab S2. I have credited Gmman in the description for his advice he gave me here on this forum.https://youtu.be/2yYRRfMaEMU

Nice! Cant believe you just took off from your kitchen table! Awesome!
2017-3-22
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Gmman Posted at 2017-3-22 13:28
Nice! Cant believe you just took off from your kitchen table! Awesome!

I know, it would have made for a different video if I'd crashed it into the wall!!
2017-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules