Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 is recording sound??
18945 13 2017-3-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mitchwhite
lvl.1

Australia

Was watching videos id filmed with my phantom 4 after updating the DJI go phantom 4 app and the footage had sound with it?! How has it done this?? Does the Phantom 4 have a microphone on it? I could hear the machine I was videoing and the wind but couldnt hear any drone noises
2017-3-19
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

No ... why would they put a microphone on a Phantom?
All you'd hear is the screaming, buzzing of the four motors and the rush of the wind.
That gets kind of boring after 2 seconds.
2017-3-19
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 69455 ft
United States

That would be impossible, the phantom
2017-3-19
Use props
Second Officer
United States

That would be impossible, the Phantom 4 has no microphone.

Perhaps you edited in sound and forgot about it?

Are you viewing the playback where you can hear the machine itself?

Maybe your imagining it?
2017-3-19
Use props
Second Officer
United States

Ignore my first post, I had a technical hiccup apparently and it posted a reply before I was done typing.
2017-3-19
Use props
Fruxen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

I think one of the latest versions of DJI Go enables recording of sound from the phone or tablet mic, to the video cache. You automatically get ambient sounds that you can put into your final video. For example when you are shooting a bubbling creek in the forest. Ambient sounds add a more organic experience to the videos. It's a nice feature. Only available on iOS so far.

When I flew with an actioncam I started recording 30 secs before takeoff to get some sounds, wind, birds, etc. Then I looped that track at a low volume together with the music.
2017-3-19
Use props
Bootspike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 109281 ft
Australia

Fruxen Posted at 2017-3-19 21:52
I think one of the latest versions of DJI Go enables recording of sound from the phone or tablet mic, to the video cache. You automatically get ambient sounds that you can put into your final video. For example when you are shooting a bubbling creek in the forest. Ambient sounds add a more organic experience to the videos. It's a nice feature. Only available on iOS so far.

When I flew with an actioncam I started recording 30 secs before takeoff to get some sounds, wind, birds, etc. Then I looped that track at a low volume together with the music.

There is an option to include sound from the iPad or other device. Handy for syncing.
2017-3-19
Use props
jwt-873
First Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

Bootspike Posted at 2017-3-19 22:09
There is an option to include sound from the iPad or other device. Handy for syncing.

Or you can strap a small microphone on the P4 and sync up the audio later..    (You definitely need an external recording device.  The P4 motors are much too loud and would drown out anything you wanted to record).

2017-3-20
Use props
Fruxen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

Yeah I have many hours of that loud noise on my old actioncam+drone footage. But after a flight I just held the drone and the camera/mic in the same kind of environment where I had just flown,

I forget to record sounds now when I fly with my Phantom. I hope this auto recording feature will show up in the Android version too.
2017-3-20
Use props
meedz24
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1916 ft
Canada

I noticed this when I did the update to DJI GO 4. .... I was watching my recordings and heard myself breathing LOL! I was so confused for the first few minutes but then remembered, when i first opened the APP my Iphone asked me if DJI GO 4 could access the micorphone.

You can turn this off by going to Settings, Privacy, Microphone - and deselect DJIGO 4.

2017-3-22
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

The latest version of the DJI Go app has an option screen presented the first time you run the updated app that asks you if you want to record audio. The default selection is 'yes'.

If you want to turn off recording, go to 'general settings' and there is an option entitled 'Record audio with video cache'

Sound is recorded from your phone or tablet's mic
2017-3-22
Use props
Mark Weiss
First Officer
United States

meedz24 Posted at 2017-3-22 20:16
I noticed this when I did the update to DJI GO 4. .... I was watching my recordings and heard myself breathing LOL! I was so confused for the first few minutes but then remembered, when i first opened the APP my Iphone asked me if DJI GO 4 could access the micorphone.

You can turn this off by going to Settings, Privacy, Microphone - and deselect DJIGO 4.

I discovered this the first time I did a live video feed to Facebook from the drone. The phone's mic is recorded and broadcast over the web along with the proxy cache footage from the drone's video link.

As for the motor noise, I can foresee in the not to distant future, noise cancelling technology that will be able to cancel out motor, wind and other mechanical noise from the drone itself, so it can record audio. Because the mic is in a fixed location in this hypothetical futuristic drone, the DSP technology can use other mics to sample the rotor noises and a DSP and processing algorithm can subtract that noise from the audio picked up by the mics in realtime. Think about noise cancelling headphones. The principle is the same.
2018-5-31
Use props
djiuser_fO6AIviVV3m1
New

Sweden

I think we should be able to use an external directed microphone. For example if the drone is hovering filming an event like a parade, then the directed microphone would record more of the music and the parade itself so it would probably be louder than the drone itself.
2018-7-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

djiuser_fO6AIviVV3m1 Posted at 2018-7-27 22:05
I think we should be able to use an external directed microphone. For example if the drone is hovering filming an event like a parade, then the directed microphone would record more of the music and the parade itself so it would probably be louder than the drone itself.

If you knew anything about microphones you would realise that is near to impossible. The motors would drown out any other sounds.
2018-7-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules