DJI Go 4.0.6 shows "Map loading" instead of location
1737 5 2017-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Egika
lvl.2
Flight distance : 379593 ft

Hong Kong

Since my last 5 flights the flight record just shows "map loading" instead of the place where I flew.
It has been working fine for locations in China, Japan and Germany. Now for Malaysia it won't anymore...
I am on iOS and when selecting the map layers "Standard" actually loads a map while Satellite and Hybrid maps don't load...

What can I do?
2017-3-20
Use props
Daroga
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

The aircraft records lat/long from GPS and doesn't really know map name of the location.

So "map loading" usually implies that you do not have any connectivity for the system to query the map system to translate the lat/long into a geographic name.

Normally, if you later connect your mobile device to the mobile data network or wireless and review the flight, the app will query the lat/long and will display the returned geographic name....
2017-3-20
Use props
Egika
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Thank you for the answer.
I knew all this. Now the phone is connected to mobile data all the time. I tried to scroll the map and get it to show the location name using both cellular and WiFi without result.

Strange thing is, that the satellite map of China is loading and showing, but the ones of Malaysia, Japan and Germany don't anymore.
I also tried various VPN connections all over the world since I thought it would have to do with the China internet connection...

Other ideas?
2017-3-20
Use props
Egika
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Ok, thanks for the many answers and help.
Figured it out myself.

If you are located in China, only satellite images from China and Taiwan will load.
Now I tried switching off the rights for DJI Go 4 to access the GPS position of the phone -> no change
Then tried using VPN's all over the world -> no change
Finally switched the phone to flight mode disabling the cellular network and connected through a WiFi (with VPN) -> now it loaded maps from other places...

Strange thing - maybe it helps others...
2017-3-22
Use props
Vic14
lvl.1
Flight distance : 286847 ft
United States

Daroga Posted at 2017-3-20 10:09
The aircraft records lat/long from GPS and doesn't really know map name of the location.

So "map loading" usually implies that you do not have any connectivity for the system to query the map system to translate the lat/long into a geographic name.

I have flights literally a year old showing "Map Loading"

I synch my flights immediately after flying  
2019-8-6
Use props
idsembarang
lvl.2
Flight distance : 455259 ft
Indonesia

2022 anyone still face this issues?
2022-1-7
Use props
Advanced