ipad mini2
1673 13 2017-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rsking
lvl.1
United States

I have a phantom 3 standard and looking at the apple ME277LL/a8 with retina. Its a wifi only ipad.Will I be ok with this ipad? Im confused with ipad that are just wifi and other that are wifi and cellular. Do I really need the wifi and cellular or will wifi be good.
Thanks

2017-3-20
Use props
Maxxpsoft
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380594 ft
United States

For the P3std wifi only is good and it is what I have ME277LL/A. If you  add celluar then that is just an extra cost each month to add the  device. If you can afford the mini 4 then that would be better since it  has more memory compared to the mini 2 http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_ipad_mini_2-5735.php compared to the http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_ipad_mini_4-7561.php
2017-3-20
Use props
timnwcove
lvl.3
Flight distance : 87428 ft
Canada

I used my ipad mini2 , wifi only, for the first time on saturday.  I cached the map and all was good.
2017-3-20
Use props
Badbobstikibar
lvl.3
Flight distance : 620112 ft
United States

Been using the iPad mini 2 for a while now with no problems whatsoever. Sometimes I get  a little glare from the screen but that's it.

BadBob
2017-3-20
Use props
GrangerFX
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

My iPad Mini 2 overheats and the video drops out on hot days. This is a problem when the drone is in flight. I ended up holding the iPad in front of my car's air conditioner so I could get five minutes at a time of use out of it. Supposedly the iPad Mini 4 does not suffer from the same problem but I am waiting for Apple's next update. The Mini 3 has the same hardware as the Mini 2 so avoid that one.
2017-3-20
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have used a Mini2 for a year now with no problems at all.
2017-3-20
Use props
rsking
lvl.1
United States

timnwcove Posted at 2017-3-20 07:07
I used my ipad mini2 , wifi only, for the first time on saturday.  I cached the map and all was good.

Im new to all this. What do you mean " cached the map"
Im using a Samsung 3s. When I first started to fly around my house I  could bring up a map of the street I live on and surrounding streets, which after the last firmware update I can no longer do
2017-3-20
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

I have two iPad mini 2's with Wi Fi only. One for my P3S and one for the Mavic. Never had any problems with either of them. That includes overheating.
2017-3-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

rsking Posted at 2017-3-20 09:37
Im new to all this. What do you mean " cached the map"
Im using a Samsung 3s. When I first started to fly around my house I  could bring up a map of the street I live on and surrounding streets, which after the last firmware update I can no longer do

Just to clarify, what Go app version are you using? What timnwcove is talking about is that when you don't have cellular data, you have to "cache" the section of map prior to leaving for your flying area. That normally means you would drag your Go app map to the area where you want to fly and let it load at various zoomed views so it can load properly when you're out of internet range.
2017-3-20
Use props
rsking
lvl.1
United States

i'm using the dji go app from the play store.
I have alot of learning to do
Thanks all
2017-3-20
Use props
Michgolden
lvl.4
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

rsking Posted at 2017-3-20 17:41
i'm using the dji go app from the play store.
I have alot of learning to do
Thanks all

Like Jamie said you open the app while connected to home wifi and click the map. Then zoom in and out and scroll around the area you'll be flying in. Now when you go flying the map will be there without having cellular service. Thats what it means to cache your map.
2017-3-20
Use props
Vikassi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17516 ft
United States

Michgolden Posted at 2017-3-20 18:04
Like Jamie said you open the app while connected to home wifi and click the map. Then zoom in and out and scroll around the area you'll be flying in. Now when you go flying the map will be there without having cellular service. Thats what it means to cache your map.

When using the ipad with wifi only, can you connect to your phones hotspot and then cache the maps?  I imagine you could do this.  But you cant stay connected to your phones hotspot once you connect to the P3S controller.  
2017-4-7
Use props
John Smith
lvl.2

United States

Vikassi Posted at 2017-4-7 08:49
When using the ipad with wifi only, can you connect to your phones hotspot and then cache the maps?  I imagine you could do this.  But you cant stay connected to your phones hotspot once you connect to the P3S controller.

@"can you connect to your phones hotspot and then cache the maps?"

Whatever gets your device connected to the net will work. But cell phone data is expensive. I just connect to my computer.

@"...you cant stay connected to your phones hotspot once you connect to the P3S controller"

Right. Wifi is a single connection. You can connect to your phone OR your computer OR your drone. To switch connections, you have to "forget" the one you're on to connect to the

- "I saved a ton of money by switching to gei..." no wait, I meant "by not using apple devices"  :-)

I'm using an insignia 10.1" tablet that I got off ebay for $42. It's like mounting a billboard on my controller!  :-)

2017-4-7
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Vikassi Posted at 2017-4-7 08:49

You cache the maps too your remote device  (the tablet)  The app only runs on your remote device, not the remote controller.
2017-4-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules