Dj gs app
I have now been using the GS Pro app for a large range of different missions and on a range of different aircraft since its release and just thought I woudl share some of the short comings of the app and some suggestions on how to improve it. Would love for people to also chime in with any of their suggestions so i hope DJI will take some notice. I have also used the older DJI GS app compatible with A2 and Naza
Aircraft it has been used with
Phantom 4 Pro
X8 1000mm U7 Motors 18" props 15kg
X8 1500mm U11 Motors 26" Props 35kg
Different missions carried out
Thermal surveying (with zenmuse XT)
Used on Ipad 3 and Ipad pro (Ipad 3 can struggle at times little laggy)
While a mission is open you cannot edit it and save it as a different name as it just overwrites the old file.
1. For larger aircraft you should be able adjust climb and yaw rate. As when doing missions the speeds are ok for smaller aircraft such as inspire and pathos but the climb and yaw rate on larger aircraft is very aggressive and often the extra inertia of even our X8 1000 overshoots yaw on most occasions this wastes valuable airtime and battery as it’s corrections are very aggressive if it needs to turn more then 90 degrees.
2. Ability to select different types actions each waypoint, stop and turn, adaptive turn, Banked turn (currently in a waypoint mission the craft has to stop at each point before continuing. This was available in the old GS app and was very handy depending on the mission. I believe it exists in the SDK so it should not be a hard thing to implement
A better confirmation to see of the camera recording or photo confirmation (often find ourselves flicking between DJI go and DJI GS app to be able to verfiy this.
3. Follow terrain feature, this information is available apps such as Maps made easy you can access this info (while not very accurate it can help follow contours much better for better mapping results.
4. Ability to set altitude at each waypoint (this is useful if you are trying to survey a hill or terrain that is not flat)
5. Ability set individual point speeds (often we fly a decent distance just to get to the area we want to survey with the old app we used to be able to speed this part of the mission up it can save valuable time and battery in doing so allow you to cover more area in each flight.
6. Ability to set a grid flying pattern according to your own specifications for distances between flightpath over a given area.
7. Ability to go full screen for camera view (while doing a grid pattern search mission we had to switch to the GO app as we were manually searching for animals using the thermal and the small window that pops up in the GS app just does not cut it for that sort of work.
8.While planning the mission the old app used to give you a distance from the last point placed when you selected the drop pin and moved it around it would adjust as you moved it.
DJI Go app
It would also be useful for search and rescue if the DJi go app has the ability to toggel current GPS coords similar to the GS Pro app