Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro numerical focus indicator
2127 7 2017-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans22dc6a91
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56759 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi,

Would it be possible to add a feedback indicator for what the focus point is?

I don't need anything too fancy like an estimation of distance - a raw count will do.

Would be nice in manual focus mode to know whether anything has slipped or even for people to set their hyper focal distance.

Thanks, Dale
2017-3-20
Use props
Daroga
Captain
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you aware of the focus peaking feature available in the GO4 App? It's under General Settings and is called Peak Focus Threshold. It is Disabled by deafault, but can be turned on with LOW, NORMAL, or HIGH configuration settings:

Peaking_Threshold.png

What focus peaking does for you, is it highlights those areas in focus with a RED highlight. The amount of highlighting is either low, medium (normal), or a lot of highlght (high) depending on your setting selection. While it isn't a numeric readout, it IS visual and may help you determine the focus area and depth of field.....
2017-3-20
Use props
sigkill
lvl.3
Canada

PEAK FOCUS THRESHOLD is useless for me, I also would like a numeric value for focus. I have one of the Mavics with a misaligned lens, so a big strip on the side of the screen is always out of focus. Having a numeric value for focus would let me set the hyperfocal distance properly with much testing, and then I would know the focus number and wouldn't have to keep figuring it out over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Thanks for reading!
2017-10-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

sigkill Posted at 2017-10-29 14:01
PEAK FOCUS THRESHOLD is useless for me, I also would like a numeric value for focus. I have one of the Mavics with a misaligned lens, so a big strip on the side of the screen is always out of focus. Having a numeric value for focus would let me set the hyperfocal distance properly with much testing, and then I would know the focus number and wouldn't have to keep figuring it out over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. Thanks for reading!

If the lens has focus and misaligned issue, it would be better to send it in for evaluation and repair if possible for better shooting experience.
2017-10-30
Use props
sigkill
lvl.3
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-30 02:49
If the lens has focus and misaligned issue, it would be better to send it in for evaluation and repair if possible for better shooting experience.

Hi Mindy, my most favorite DJI Forum Moderator ever! I considered doing that, but I have read some people did that for this issue, and got back their Mavic back without it being fixed, or got someone else's old Mavic as replacement. That and the fact I would be without a Mavic for a long time has kept me from sending it back. In the mean time I found a workaround.

I like to produce 1920x1080 video, and so I found that the Mavic has a fantastic pseudo-optical zoom feature! I can just zoom in 2 steps or more, and that zooms past the blurry part of the lens/sensor, and voila! Beautiful footage!
2017-10-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

sigkill Posted at 2017-10-30 22:55
Hi Mindy, my most favorite DJI Forum Moderator ever!  I considered doing that, but I have read some people did that for this issue, and got back their Mavic back without it being fixed, or got someone else's old Mavic as replacement. That and the fact I would be without a Mavic for a long time has kept me from sending it back. In the mean time I found a workaround.

I like to produce 1920x1080 video, and so I found that the Mavic has a fantastic pseudo-optical zoom feature! I can just zoom in 2 steps or more, and that zooms past the blurry part of the lens/sensor, and voila! Beautiful footage!

Thank you.
I understand, per our policy, products and components presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired. But these refurbished goods have been tested and are similar to brand new goods in function and appearance.
For repair time frame, we are working on shortening the turn around to improve our customer service.
I still suggest to send in if there is any other problem.
2017-10-31
Use props
_tajino_
Malaysia

Numerical display on the focus step indicator would be very useful. See my mockup screen below :
However one thing I've noticed, the focus steps doesn't really correlate with the physical lens focusing upon each boot up of the drone. From my observation while finding the hyperfocal sweetspot on my Mavic, it is sometimes 18 steps from infinity and sometimes it is 8 steps, or somewhere in between.

I've done sequential steps counting and taking app screenshot and Mavic still photo on each focal step, 1-28 steps from infinity. Loaded the DNG sequence in After Effects, pixel peep compared the frames and found the sweetspot where entire frame is in good focus is at 8 steps from infinity. Rebooted the Mavic and repeat the process again several times, and not everytime yields the same step value for the hyperfocal sweetspot. Could be a bug in the GO app.

I did the entire process while the Mavic is resting on a tripod, so the results should be consistent, but it isn't.

Focus step with numeric display

Focus step with numeric display

2018-1-10
Use props
sws2810
lvl.1
Flight distance : 418714 ft
United States

Daroga Posted at 2017-3-20 09:56
Are you aware of the focus peaking feature available in the GO4 App? It's under General Settings and is called Peak Focus Threshold. It is Disabled by deafault, but can be turned on with LOW, NORMAL, or HIGH configuration settings:

[view_image]

Well then it seems, according to what you say, after much trial & error, I should get close to 100% red screen, meaning most everything is in focus Never have & Never will. The f/2.2 FIXED apeture just plain sucks. Let's face it! That is an apeture setting I would use on my 35mm Full Frame Camera to do a shallow depth of field Portrait - NEVER a video of Landscape. DJI made a huge mistake here - IMO.
2021-1-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules