P2V behaving oddly, dropping to one side
899 12 2017-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skiddyfisk
lvl.1

United States

When flying, my drone exhibits an intermittent but frequent behavior, where it will, unbidden by my remote, tilt right and lose altitude. Up high it doesn't last long enough for it to crash, but when I try it 20ish feet up I have to throttle up to keep from hitting the ground.

[size=14.6667px]Drone video of this behavior:

[size=14.6667px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOZFUATZKJs

[size=14.6667px]Does it twice, I'm not touching the sticks other than to pull it out of the dive and bring it back over to the left.

[size=14.6667px]Things I have tried:

[size=14.6667px]Compass calibration
[size=14.6667px]Confirmed the new ESC matches the other three
[size=14.6667px]Having my poor solder on the ESC/motor redone by someone else
[size=14.6667px]Checked via the Windows assistant program that my remote isn't sending bad inputs

[size=14.6667px]I hope someone has some ideas, as this feels pretty unsafe to fly like this.

2017-3-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Have you tried an IMU calibration?  
2017-3-20
Use props
skiddyfisk
lvl.1

United States

I had not. Just did both a basic and advanced. When I first hit "IMU status" the app said calibration was not needed; is that necessarily correct?

It's too rainy out right now to go test the drone but I will give it a try as soon as possible. Would appreciate any other possible diagnostic steps in the meantime.
2017-3-20
Use props
skiddyfisk
lvl.1

United States

That APPEARS to have done it... I flew it for a good few minutes without a single random juke; it HAD been happening every 15-30 seconds or so.

Thank you for being the first person to say "IMU calibration"; I tried the COMPASS calibration repeatedly not knowing there were other calibrations to be done.
2017-3-20
Use props
mrttzr18
lvl.1

Turkey

As a fellow "noob" to drones in general, let alone my DJI... I had a similar issue and the IMU calibration was the answer as well. So f or me it's worth mentioning that the IMU Calibration is used more frequently than the Vision Assistant tool makes it sound.
So, in my opinion this is just one of the many fails before you fly that  my self-initiation into drones has put me through.
That being said... I really wouldn't have been opposed to a mandatory "Beginners License" before entering this hobby. Fortunately, slow and steady has saved me from whatever nightmares COULD happen without proper training of any sorts.
2017-3-20
Use props
skiddyfisk
lvl.1

United States

Gave it some more air time today; it does it LESS, but still does it. So we've made some progress!

Is there anything else I should have done after replacing an ESC and motor?
2017-3-21
Use props
skiddyfisk
lvl.1

United States

Additional info: The first time I did the IMU calibration yesterday, it gave me a message that the MC temperature was too high; it did this again today when I tried a second calibration, even though both times the drone had not been flying at all. Today I repeated the calibration a second time immediately after the first and did NOT get that message. I dunno what's going on there.
2017-3-21
Use props
skiddyfisk
lvl.1

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-20 10:01
Have you tried an IMU calibration?

I hadn't then, I have now, still having the same issue, though it seemed to go away briefly after I did the calibration.
2017-3-23
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Have you crashed this drone before?  Almost sounds like the center board or flight controller is loose but that would be unusual.
2017-3-24
Use props
skiddyfisk
lvl.1

United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-24 03:13
Have you crashed this drone before?  Almost sounds like the center board or flight controller is loose but that would be unusual.

I have had one crash I'd consider worth mention, but it was specifically AFTER I noticed this duck-right maneuver. Vortex ring wobble at ~50 feet, fortunately landed in a pile of leaves, but was still a decent doink.

The FC appears firmly affixed to the board, and the board to the lower shell.
2017-3-24
Use props
skiddyfisk
lvl.1

United States

Bumping in hope somebody has a guess.
2017-3-27
Use props
skiddyfisk
lvl.1

United States

Anybody at all?
2017-4-13
Use props
skiddyfisk
lvl.1

United States

Is this the kind of support I can expect from this company? I'll be sure to shop elsewhere in the future...
2017-4-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules