Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How to invert the gimbal control
2146047560 2146047560 2017-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sp1k3
lvl.1
Austria

HI DJI
I found the wheel to control the gimbal quit annoyingly unintuitive...
I would prefer that the gimbal goes down when I press torwards the right instead of toward the left... I find that counterintuitive...
Anychance to add an option that inverts that?
Also It would be nice to have the option to add expo and/or limits to maximum speed... I would actually like it to be a little slower at full displacement.
Or is there somewhere I can configure the wheelspeed?
Thanks
Sp1k3
2017-3-20
Use props
Harbourside
Captain
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

How is it counterintuitive ? You rotate the wheel down towards you and it pans down and rotate up away from you to pan up. That seems the most sensible way to do it.
You can adjust the rate and smoothness in the app.
2017-3-20
Use props
fnair
Flight distance : 49800 ft
Canada

I too, for some reason, find it counterintuitive and would like to invert the control.  As far as I know, unfortunately, it isn't possible.

You can change the speed of the gimbal tilt, by going in the Gimbal settings, Advanced settings, and there you can lower the 'Gimbal pitch speed' (I have forgotten what the default value is, but I have mine set to 14).  Another neat setting is 'Gimbal Start/Stop Buffer', which gradually starts and stops the gimbal when you use tilt wheel, which makes the gimbal tilt movements smoother.  (I have mine set to 18)
2017-3-20
Use props
TrevorSK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

It seamed backwards to me at first too. I put a up-down arrow label on my controller to remind me. After a few flights it became second nature and then I removed the label
2017-3-20
Use props
TrevorSK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Harbourside Posted at 2017-3-20 12:05
How is it counterintuitive ? You rotate the wheel down towards you and it pans down and rotate up away from you to pan up. That seems the most sensible way to do it.

On the Mavic controller it's a left/right wheel to control gimbal up/down. Left is down, right is up.
2017-3-20
Use props
digitalintruder
First Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

TrevorSK Posted at 2017-3-20 14:04
It seamed backwards to me at first too. I put a up-down arrow label on my controller to remind me. After a few flights it became second nature and then I removed the label

+1 - after a few uses, it becomes second nature. But this is a good feature request imho.
2017-3-20
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

I struggled a little with the wheel direction at first, but figured it was easier to re-program me than the controller.......
2017-3-20
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Heard, the gimbal wheel turns the wrong way round of what feels natural.   

Regards Leif.
2017-3-20
Use props
Gary Mac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

Harbourside Posted at 2017-3-20 12:05

Because pushing forward on a control pushes the nose down on EVERY OTHER piece of equipment.  Pulling back raises the nose.  Then DJI gives us a wheel that works just the opposite.  You push it to go up and pull it to go down... counterintuitive.

It needs a software switch to reverse it.
2017-3-20
Use props
adverselection
Flight distance : 172523 ft
United States

Agreed. It is counter intuitive......I fight it every flight. Should have a switch to reverse it.
2017-3-20
Use props
Harbourside
Captain
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Gary Mac Posted at 2017-3-20 16:18
Because pushing forward on a control pushes the nose down on EVERY OTHER piece of equipment.  Pulling back raises the nose.  Then DJI gives us a wheel that works just the opposite.  You push it to go up and pull it to go down... counterintuitive.

It needs a software switch to reverse it.

But its not a flight control for an aeroplane, its a gimbal control that's been the same since the Phantom 2 Vision Plus V3, Phantom 3, Phantom 4.
I don't remember anyone posting that it was a problem with any of those models before, its honestly like some Mavic owners just want to moan about something..
2017-3-20
Use props
DrEMHmrk2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 291575 ft
United States

Its backwards to anyone who didn't learn to fly with a DJI drone. I'm always fighting myself with it, along with the exposure wheel.
2017-3-20
Use props
Bucefalo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 444944 ft
Italy

i'm not an expert but since the FIRST flight i had the same problem as you did !! It should be reversed !!! it's just " logical " from any other use of any other device ;)

is like you start to call LEFT ... RIGHT and then u can "RIGHT" LEFT ... why?
2017-3-20
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Even after 18 months of flying it, I seem to always go the wrong way on my P3.  It really needs to be reversible.
2017-3-20
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

DrEMHmrk2 Posted at 2017-3-20 18:11
Its backwards to anyone who didn't learn to fly with a DJI drone. I'm always fighting myself with it, along with the exposure wheel.

I was about to say the same thing about the exposure wheel.

Eventually I'll get the hang of them both.  And by then, there will be a new software release with a switch to reverse for those of us still challenged by the wheel direction.......
2017-3-20
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I'm starting to get used to it -- repeat the mantra after me: "pull down, push up."
2017-3-20
Use props
Sp1k3
lvl.1
Austria

Ok thanks all for the support ;-)
But yeah there should be a software switch for both wheels...
2017-3-21
Use props
Sp1k3
lvl.1
Germany

fnair Posted at 2017-3-20 12:36
I too, for some reason, find it counterintuitive and would like to invert the control.  As far as I know, unfortunately, it isn't possible.

You can change the speed of the gimbal tilt, by going in the Gimbal settings, Advanced settings, and there you can lower the 'Gimbal pitch speed' (I have forgotten what the default value is, but I have mine set to 14).  Another neat setting is 'Gimbal Start/Stop Buffer', which gradually starts and stops the gimbal when you use tilt wheel, which makes the gimbal tilt movements smoother.  (I have mine set to 18)

Thanks for the help with the Gimbal settings, I didnt understand at first what what was the start/stop buffer... I'll check my settings and adjust them...
2017-3-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

I will help to pass the suggestion to designated team for review.
Thank you for your feedback.
2017-3-21
Use props
Sp1k3
lvl.1
Germany

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-21 03:12

Thanks Mindy,
Thats all we ask.
I dont think its a big deal to insert a SW switch for those of us who feel this is counterintuitive.
Sp1k3
2017-3-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sp1k3 Posted at 2017-3-21 06:23
Thanks Mindy,
Thats all we ask.
I dont think its a big deal to insert a SW switch for those of us who feel this is counterintuitive.

No problem. I'm not sure if that's possible. Our engineers will help to review the suggestion.
2017-3-22
Use props
Bucefalo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 444944 ft
Italy

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-21 03:12

wonderful !! like many others i feel that way not comfortable..make me mistake always !
thank you  Mindy !
2017-3-22
Use props
Gary Mac
Second Officer
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

Harbourside Posted at 2017-3-20 17:34
But its not a flight control for an aeroplane, its a gimbal control that's been the same since the Phantom 2 Vision Plus V3, Phantom 3, Phantom 4.
I don't remember anyone posting that it was a problem with any of those models before, its honestly like some Mavic owners just want to moan about something..

As MANY others have stated, it's reverse logic for many of us.  Again, that is why we would like it to be a software switch and not demanding that they change it completely.  Everyone's background is different.  For the MANY of us who learned on flight controls, to push is to go down... even airplane throttles are pushed to reduce throttle.  If my only experience had been with multiple generations of DJI drones, I would probably wonder the same thing as you.

So, once again:  "DJI, please add a software switch to the gimbal control for the other xx% of us who find it to be completely counter-intuitive."

Thank you.
2017-3-22
Use props
seleznev
lvl.1
Flight distance : 45627 ft
Russia

Absolutely agree!!! Such gimbal control broke my mind. We need possibilities to reverse control!
2017-3-22
Use props
fans5b0f2642
New
Flight distance : 90190 ft
United States

Mindy, I agree, there needs to be an option to invert the gimbal control. I'm new to flying, but even after several months flying the Mavic Pro, I still find the gimbal wheel on the controller counter to my instinct to push-down, pull-up. I've messed up numerous shots because I rotated the gimbal the wrong way without even thinking.
2017-4-18
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

Repeat the mantra/mnemonic: "Pull Down, Push Up."
2017-4-18
Use props
fansdcac56c4
lvl.1
Finland

LOL, my videos are filled with jerky camera up'n'down movements as I 100% fail at the wheel direction. It just ruins the clip. Even though I try to remind myself continuously. I've been looking for a way to reverse but there is none. Hopefully this option will be available quickly!
2017-4-18
Use props
Xman1
Second Officer

United States

I am still having problems with it too.  I always go the wrong way.  Push down pull up should be the default.

Same thing for the new aircraft mode.
2017-4-18
Use props
Dub Yu
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14032 ft
United States

+10000000for me tooo
2017-4-18
Use props
Grims
New
Canada

Well lets hope that DJI hears us and makes an option to switch it to user preference. I would prefer to have it reversed ( the normal way lol )
2017-4-20
Use props
daivatam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

Yep same happening to me ...90% of movies are with gimbal tilt direction wrong then correcting
2017-4-20
Use props
fans1f4a3127
First Officer
Germany

I will a Change Button toi
2017-4-20
Use props
Capt Hurls
lvl.1
Flight distance : 84675 ft
United States

I was also finding this quite difficult when I first got mine.  I had to retrain myself.
+1 on software switch before my brain refuses!
{:4_157:}
2017-4-20
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.4
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

I too was stuck in the push forward nose down etc from flying model aircraft for 30 years.  I had to rethink it, picture the Mavic facing away from me and imagine my finger was on the end of the camera lens. Pulling toward me pulled the camera down, pushing away pushed it back up.  I still get it wrong when I need to do a sudden change though!
2017-4-20
Use props
Sp1k3
lvl.1
Germany

I'm getting upset, we had 2, not 1 but 2 app upgrades and 1 firmware upgrade since we made this request! Why has this not yet been implemented?! I mean I would have preferred 10 times more to have this fixed, and also the C2 button Iso/shutter issue fixed instead of having a new flight mode which is completely useless...
Can someone please tell the guys to fix these issues!?!?! I mean how difficult can it be!?! Its just reversing a switch!?!

Ideally speaking it would be great if we could switch the gimbal control also to the iso dial, I personally would prefer that, but just a switch to invert the present control would already make things so much easier....
PLease IMPLEMENT THE FIX ASAP, I need it soon for some more professional footage and cant work like this....
Thanks

PS where else should I complain to get this fix done?!
2017-4-25
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

Sp1k3 Posted at 2017-4-25 06:08
I'm getting upset, we had 2, not 1 but 2 app upgrades and 1 firmware upgrade since we made this request! Why has this not yet been implemented?! I mean I would have preferred 10 times more to have this fixed, and also the C2 button Iso/shutter issue fixed instead of having a new flight mode which is completely useless...
Can someone please tell the guys to fix these issues!?!?! I mean how difficult can it be!?! Its just reversing a switch!?!

The moderators say the preferred way to make feature requests is via the DJI Go 4 app's feedback feature, under Me.

Till then, keep repeating the mantra/mnemonic: "Pull Down, Push Up."
2017-4-25
Use props
Mpampis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 276476 ft
Germany

I struggle also with my self, I hope only that in the new updates they are gonna find a way to add an option for the people who want it.
2017-4-25
Use props
Racer13
lvl.1
United States

It is absolutely backwards and counterintuitive!! In 30 years, I have 20,000 hours flying 25 different aircraft. Equating that dial to the airplane yoke, or even trim button, down would be, SHOULD BE to the right. Your index finger pushes the dial, (or the yoke or the trim button) to make the camera (or an airplane go down). You pull back on the dial with your index finger to make the camera go up - same with the yoke and trim button on an airplane. Aircraft designers and engineers for nearly a century have designed airplanes that way because it makes intuitive sense based on ALL pilot feedback. Now if you've only flown drones, especially the previous DJI models, you make have "learned" to do it backwards, but trust  me - ask any pilot - the camera gimbal tilt wheel direction is absolutely backwards. At the very least, DJI needs to give us the option through software and firmware updates. Then I could use the wheel in the right way, and some of the rest of you weirdos can continue using the tilt wheel backwards!  LOL
2017-5-16
Use props
Sp1k3
lvl.1
Germany

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-25 08:17
The moderators say the preferred way to make feature requests is via the DJI Go 4 app's feedback feature, under Me.

Till then, keep repeating the mantra/mnemonic: "Pull Down, Push Up."

Thats a good workaround for now... but then I hope when they add the switch then I can rcover :-)
2017-5-17
Use props
kernelhappy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 69843 ft
United States

Bump to show interest.  

You can lump me in with the crowd asking for a SW switch to flip it.  

To those that are comfortable using it the way it is, good for you, but it's definitely counterintuitive for me and I'd really appreciate the option to make it comfortable for me to control my flying camera.
2017-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules