Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
CSC Theory
1637 15 2017-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ProQuad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 20296870 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello all, I have a theory that I would like to run by you all and get your theory's as well.  
I would NEVER do this unless there was some extremely rare situation.

I was thinking (and I did try this in the simulator & worked) that if you got your aircraft up hight enough...say 400', then did a CSC to stop the motors, then did another CSC to re-start the motors that, in theory, would regain control before it hit the ground?

2017-3-20
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Don't try it at 400ft, I don't think the simulator accurately simulates the high speed fall as the propellers come to a stop and the aircraft goes unstable before the propellers spin up in reverse and stability returns.
If you try it at 500m then it will probably work, but there are a lot of things that can go wrong so make sure that there is nobody underneath at the time!
2017-3-20
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-3-20 16:22
Don't try it at 400ft, I don't think the simulator accurately simulates the high speed fall as the propellers come to a stop and the aircraft goes unstable before the propellers spin up in reverse and stability returns.
If you try it at 500m then it will probably work, but there are a lot of things that can go wrong so make sure that there is nobody underneath at the time!

Yes, I agree that the simulator is not accurate and yes I also agree that it should be up higher.  Too many variables for this, but, my theory is that it is possible if everything goes right.
2017-3-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ProQuad Posted at 2017-3-20 16:31
Yes, I agree that the simulator is not accurate and yes I also agree that it should be up higher.  Too many variables for this, but, my theory is that it is possible if everything goes right.

Try it and let us know how it works out.
2017-3-20
Use props
普陀天马
lvl.2
Flight distance : 383409 ft

United States

I bet someone did this and post the video somewhere
2017-3-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

People have been bringing this idea up for years.  As I remember reading in previous threads. this has worked for very early Phantoms, but the modern Phantoms hit the ground and hit it pretty hard.  Nobody has been able to do it with a modern Phantom that I've heard.

Edit:  See post #12

2017-3-21
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

Works with a Phantom 3 at 300m, you need to be quick and you also need to center the sticks for a second or two before trying to restart. As soon as it starts you need FULL throttle till it stops tumbling and spinning.
2017-3-21
Use props
24ctDrone
lvl.2

United States

Matt-and-Riley Posted at 2017-3-21 02:23
Works with a Phantom 3 at 300m, you need to be quick and you also need to center the sticks for a second or two before trying to restart. As soon as it starts you need FULL throttle till it stops tumbling and spinning.

NO way really?
2017-3-21
Use props
24ctDrone
lvl.2

United States

I'll try it if everyone kicks in a few hundred !!!
2017-3-21
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-21 01:48
People have been bringing this idea up for years.  As I remember reading in previous threads. this has worked for very early Phantoms, but the modern Phantoms hit the ground and hit it pretty hard.  Nobody has been able to do it with a modern Phantom that I've heard.

Just because you haven't heard of somebody achieving it doesn't mean it's not possible, maybe nobody has tried?

The difference with the modern phantoms is that there is no real reason to try it, you can't fly up to 10Km altitude and then free fall back down because you don't have enough battery left to do anything but land because there is a 500m limit in the firmware and that is easy to do without battery saving techniques.  Also many if not most owners now have a legal limit of around 120m and at that altitude you probably would hit the ground.

Somebody posted a video link last week with a Phantom 4 Pro achieving it quite safely.
2017-3-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Can you show us the vid?
2017-3-21
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Starts about 1:20 , he seems to complete the move in less than 50m, P4 seems to start up quicker than the P3

2017-3-21
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

Awesome!  Thank-you
2017-3-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Can't really see the point in CSC in mid air, it's still going to drop on someone's head or car building, maybe if it's tangled up in someone's hair or out of control in a child's pushchair or it's digging up your favourite rose bush..
2017-3-21
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
lvl.4
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-3-21 10:28
Can't really see the point in CSC in mid air, it's still going to drop on someone's head or car building, maybe if it's tangled up in someone's hair or out of control in a child's pushchair or it's digging up your favourite rose bush..

I'd have to agree with that, it takes to long to stop the motors to be a real safety aid, and puts the drone into a horrible spin for 2 seconds before cutting out. I'd vote for a motor cut switch when it's chopping up the baby in a pushchair or you've got a boeing 747 heading straight at you
2017-3-22
Use props
ProQuad
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks to all for sharing.  This is awesome.  Glad someone found a video and I would have to say that whomever did that CSC on the P4P has more you know what's then all of us.  

@ Hallmark007:  I agree with you on this as well.
@ Matt-and-Riley:  Agreed & thanks for finding that video.
2017-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules