Why get FAA certified?
678 7 2017-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213222 ft
United States

Is there any advantage to getting a FAA certificate. Why go through the effort?
2017-3-20
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

It's not a matter of choice. If you need to have it (if you use your drone to make money), then you just have to get it. Also, having a certificate might give you the chance to do stuff you couldn't legally do without one (for example night flying - of course with getting the appropriate weaver).
2017-3-20
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Haha... bad example.  In the US, You can happily fly at night under Part 101, but you can't fly at night under Part 107 without a waiver and appropriate lighting.  But your point is valid.  

There are certainly advantages to flying under Part 107 in given situations.  For example, some areas have rules such as "No Flying Hobby Drones From This Area" which wouldn't stop a pilot with a Part 107 certificate.  Another example, I believe one can fly three and a half miles from an airport with no notification if he has a Part 107.  Also, my understanding is, Part 101 is more strict regarding flying over structures - you can do it with a 107 but not under Part 101.  Etc.  

2017-3-21
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-3-21 01:51
Haha... bad example.  In the US, You can happily fly at night under Part 101, but you can't fly at night under Part 107 without a waiver and appropriate lighting.  But your point is valid.  

There are certainly advantages to flying under Part 107 in given situations.  For example, some areas have rules such as "No Flying Hobby Drones From This Area" which wouldn't stop a pilot with a Part 107 certificate.  Another example, I believe one can fly three and a half miles from an airport with no notification if he has a Part 107.  Also, my understanding is, Part 101 is more strict regarding flying over structures - you can do it with a 107 but not under Part 101.  Etc.

Under Part 107 Local Rules and Statutes prevail.
2017-3-21
Use props
TPVAerials
lvl.3

United States

If you plan to make any money at all with your drone, you will need the Part 107 certificate to remain legal.
You may think that you can make money with your drone through friends, family, & neighbors...but big businesses that you may want to shoot for will ask if you are FAA certified & may also ask if you are insured.
Being able to make $10-50 per gig through family & friends might be nice (assuming you do this prior to obtaining a Part 107 certificate), but making $100-1000+ per gig through businesses is much better after you have your Part 107.
2017-3-21
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213222 ft
United States

All sounds good, now all I have to wade through all of the FAA stuff to find the best path. Thanks all for the input.
2017-3-21
Use props
Hail Damage 6
lvl.4
Flight distance : 429055 ft
United States

Use the utube videos you can find or purchase lessons available online and study. The test isn't hard after studying but tricky in the presentation. Definitely prepare  for it.  Good luck to you.
2017-3-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

GreenHornet55 Posted at 2017-3-21 16:38
All sounds good, now all I have to wade through all of the FAA stuff to find the best path. Thanks all for the input.

Like TPVAerials mentioned, it all really depends on what you ultimately plan on doing with the aircraft.
2017-3-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules