Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Time-lapse Photography - Turn Photos into Hyper-Fast Video
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI Support
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft
Hong Kong

Perhaps the most iconic shot employed by the modern vlogger is the time lapse. If you’ve ever seen a Casey Neistat video, you are familiar with this shot. Time-lapse shots are created by taking a series of photos at a given interval and combining the photos together to make a video. In or outside of a vlog, time lapses are effective in showing the passage of time and as establishing shots when changing location.

1.gif
Captured with the Phantom 3 Standard

The great thing about time lapses is that you don’t need a top-of-line drone to make them. You can make a good-looking time lapse with any Phantom 3, Phantom 4, Inspire or Mavic Pro.

Making a Time Lapse

First, choose a location where you want to shoot. Make sure the environment and weather conditions are suitable for flight, go through your preflight checklist, and take off. Fly around a bit and frame your shot just how you want it.

Using the Timed Shot feature in DJI GO is the most effective way to make time lapses. From the image transmission screen, tap the Camera Settings Button, tap “Photo”, and tap “Timed Shot”, then choose a time interval. To choose the lowest time interval possible, set your format to JPEG. For the Phantom 3 Standard, the lowest time interval when shooting JPEGs is 2s.

2.jpeg

Shooting time lapses in manual mode will ensure that you have consistent exposure across your photos. If you want to shoot in Auto, make sure to lock your exposure before you get started. Tap the “AE” button in the upper right corner and lock the lock icon. To get the best image quality possible image quality, ISO shouldn’t be larger than 200. Then set the shutter speed and exposure. Also, if you’re shooting at night, turn off your front arm LEDs.

Additionally, it’s best to choose a white balance setting other than Auto, otherwise the some of your photos may end up with an inconsistant color cast due to the white balance shifting automatically.

3.jpg

Start Shooting

Tap the Shutter Button on your controller or in the app and the aircraft will start capturing photos at the pre-set time interval. Keep a close eye on your aircraft during shooting, and don’t move the aircraft or change the gimbal’s angle unless there’s an emergency.

One photo will be used as one frame in a time lapse. The minimum number of frames needed to make a video play smoothly is either 24 or 25 frames per second, depending on whether you’re shooting in NTSC or PAL, respectively. If you want to make a 5-second video, you will need to capture either 120 or 125 photos. With a Timed Shot interval of 5 seconds, this takes around ten minutes.

4.png

After shooting is complete, land your aircraft.

Post-Production

Next, let’s create a time-lapse video from the pictures you’ve captured. We’ll use Adobe After Effects CC 2016 in this tutorial, but you can also use Photoshop CS6 or later.

Open Adobe After Effects CC 2016, create a composition, and click “File” > “Import” > “File” to select your photos.

5.jpg

Select all the photos, select “JPEG Sequence”, and click “Import”. Then you can find your photos under “Project”. Drag the photos into the composition that you created.

6.png

DJI aircraft don’t hover perfectly, so some photos will be framed differently than others. Though such movement is relatively small, jittering in the resulting time lapse may be noticeable. To stabilize the video, you can go to “Effect” > “Warp” > “Warp Stabilizer” and employ the Warp Stabilizer effect.

7.jpg

8.gif

If you want to do some color correction, adjust your color settings, render and output. Your video is now ready to share!

9.jpg

Below are two time lapses we captured with the Phantom 3 Standard. The second one is a motion timelapse, which we'll be discussing in a future tutorial. Enjoy!

10.gif

12.gif

Thanks for reading everyone!

Now go make some time lapses of your own and share them with other DJI creators. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to contact us here on the DJI Forum or on social media. For more from DJI Support…

Like DJI Support on Facebook!
Follow DJI Support on Twitter!
Subscribe to DJI Support on YouTube!

2017-3-20
Use props
jeebs-9
First Officer
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Amazing!!! Thank You for this post!
2017-3-21
Use props
JackA
First Officer
Flight distance : 32057 ft
United States

I am looking forward to more of these informative posts, thanks!
2017-3-21
Use props
Heliflo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8885013 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Great tutorial! I've also already did some first attempts:
Dronelapse @night
Traffic at night

Feel also free to join our FB-Group about Dronelapse technique: Dronelapse community

Cheers Florian
2017-3-21
Use props
Fruxen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

Hate to be "that guy" but... Really the only benefit of photo timelapses is that they take less space on the memory card than what the video would have done. But our drones can only be up for 20 minutes, and even when shooting 4k you still won't run out of space on the SD card. You don't have to assembly lots of files afterwards, the video is already done when you land.

Import it into your editing program and simply speed up the clip. Done!
And you get the major benefit of being able to adjust the speed of the timelapse to your liking. You can't do that with pre set photo timelapses
2017-3-21
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

What are the specs for intervals when shooting RAW?

Can see the advantage here by doing a batch process of RAW files and then making a much higher quality timelapse than the limitations of shooting Jpeg.
2017-3-21
Use props
Heliflo
Second Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

Fruxen Posted at 2017-3-21 14:11
Hate to be "that guy" but... Really the only benefit of photo timelapses is that they take less space on the memory card than what the video would have done. But our drones can only be up for 20 minutes, and even when shooting 4k you still won't run out of space on the SD card. You don't have to assembly lots of files afterwards, the video is already done when you land.

already tought about grading? The difference between a Video and only a JPEG is hughe! The benefit really starts if you're shooting your stills in raw...
Try this with a .mov or mp4 and you see what we mean...:-)
dronelapse at night
2017-3-21
Use props
Gateway
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1873806 ft
  • >>>
United States

If your drone supports it you should probably put it into tripod mode as well.  You can also drag images into adobe premier pro and use the warp stabilizer if you don't have After Effects.
2017-3-21
Use props
Fruxen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

Heliflo Posted at 2017-3-21 15:51
already tought about grading? The difference between a Video and only a JPEG is hughe! The benefit really starts if you're shooting your stills in raw...
dronelapse at night

Well I should have said JPEG photo time lapse referring to the tutorial. The quality difference there vs video is pretty much nothing at all. Speeding up the video gives it lots of more information per second and negates the usual compression artifacts. You get a higher quality video than normal. It's not the same thing as shooting a JPEG vs taking a still from a real time video, in wich case the JPEG would be better. The benefit of video timelapse is that you don't have to guess the photo interval, you can choose any speed you want in post without a drop in quality.
Photo time lapse with RAW will have it benefits yes, especially like in your night shot there. You will have to do more advanced post processing compared to the tutorial though with batch editing to make use of it.

RAW definately allows for more powerful grading. Still, people show off their gorgeous graded 4K videos here all the time, and I have yet to hear someone say "Hey that doesn't look good at all since it was not shot in raw". Just saying.

2017-3-21
Use props
Saskebaby
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1017989 ft
Philippines

Wow thanks for sharing....
2017-3-22
Use props
digitalintruder
First Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

+100 for this post - thanks for the details and thorough explaination. I am curious tho, why jpg and not raw?
2017-3-22
Use props
Heliflo
Second Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

digitalintruder Posted at 2017-3-22 08:54
+100 for this post - thanks for the details and thorough explaination. I am curious tho, why jpg and not raw?

cause the min JPEG Interval is 2 sec and for RAW it's 10sec (except Inspire 2 with ssd)
2017-3-22
Use props
digitalintruder
First Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

Heliflo Posted at 2017-3-22 11:51
cause the min JPEG Interval is 2 sec and for RAW it's 10sec (except Inspire 2 with ssd)

ahh, thanks, that makes sense.
2017-3-22
Use props
Cabansail
Second Officer
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Wonder why there is the difference in the intervals from Jpeg to Raw? I am able to shoot manual RAW images at a faster rate than that. Plenty of capacity on the card.
2017-3-22
Use props
TPVAerials
lvl.4

United States

Thank you for the tutorial!
2017-3-22
Use props
quadflyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 184649 ft
Germany

nice Tutorial, thanks for sharing.. It would be nice, to get a Timelapse with RAW at 2sec..
2017-3-23
Use props
Heliflo
Second Officer
  • >>>
Switzerland

Cabansail Posted at 2017-3-22 18:28
Wonder why there is the difference in the intervals from Jpeg to Raw? I am able to shoot manual RAW images at a faster rate than that. Plenty of capacity on the card.

after 5 to 15 fast triggers in RAW (depending on your SD) you will see that you'll lose them cause of the filesize...
The fisrt few images are buffered in the cam. If the SD is to slow (and it will be to slow for a sd) youl'll loose shots...
2017-3-23
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 125738 ft
United Kingdom

Fruxen Posted at 2017-3-21 14:11

Hate to be "that guy" but...  
For the time of day, it probably does not matter, other than you are limiting your creativity using video footage.  An important part of creating timelapse footage is shutter speed.  The example given focuses on "how to" rather than artistic perfection (which itself is subjective I know).  
So if you're a professional, then doing it using video footage is probably fine, unless it's a nightscape timelapse or your client is a connoisseur who appreciates a certain artistic style (rather than a slapdash approach).
For my own personal pleasure, I always attempt to create the best I can, time is not really a factor.  That's my style, you choose you're own.  Some people see the difference, some people don't.  There is no right or wrong, only how fussy you are.
There is always more than one way to skin a cat.. (an old sailors term meaning there is always more than one way to do something).  What is right for you, may not be for others.
Must importantly, always enjoy what you do!!
Thanks for sharing this "How To" DJI.  I've learnt a lot about timelapse using a drone from your article and the users comments.  All good.  Just got to get out there and do it now....  Going to take a few months (weather, family life, perfection gene), but I'll get there and hopefully share my adventure with you all.  :-)
2017-4-1
Use props
pritchiedotcom
Second Officer
Flight distance : 125738 ft
United Kingdom

Heliflo Posted at 2017-3-21 15:51
dronelapse at night

Love your work dude.. Shame about the FB Compression.  for me its only going sharp at the last 3s which is annoying.. tried re-watching a few times..  did you also upload it to youtube?
Thanks for sharing.
2017-4-1
Use props
#shotxclvck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3423297 ft
United States

#thankyouforposting   will definitely try this!
2017-4-1
Use props
utahskier
lvl.3
United States

When will you be putting up the tutorial for the motion timelapse? I really want to try this! Thank you.
2017-4-4
Use props
utahskier
lvl.3
United States

Heliflo Posted at 2017-3-21 10:31
Dronelapse @night
Traffic at night

Hey question for you, what are you doing to export your dronelapses once you are done?  Im using premiere and for whatever reason i can export and play on my computer, but it wont play on my phone.  Figured you might know since you seem to have a lot of experience.  Thanks!
2017-4-13
Use props
FeariTself
lvl.4
Flight distance : 195151 ft

United States

Thanks for the tutorial I cant wait to try this out someday!
2017-4-13
Use props
dedyis_77
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6827 ft

Indonesia

As a beginner, thank you for your tips.. really interesting
2017-4-17
Use props
Advocate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1076909 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for the great post!
2017-4-21
Use props
Flyin’ Wabbit
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55413 ft
Italy

If you don't want to use the high end post production software you mentioned you can also assemble the video from the shots using some (but not all) versions of Quicktime. It's a relatively quick import.
2017-4-27
Use props
MarkTChristy
lvl.1
United States

Heliflo Posted at 2017-3-21 10:31
Dronelapse @night
Traffic at night

Very nice - inspiring!
2017-5-11
Use props
AESTHETIC VIEWS
lvl.2
United States

this is amazing bro thanks!
2017-5-15
Use props
Watchtower Dro
lvl.1

United States

Thanks!  Good info!
2017-5-16
Use props
out2sea71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 95915 ft
United States

Thank you for this tutorial.  it is good to see something not posted on Youtube.  I don't have access to You tube and most other tutorials are out of my reach.  It was great.
2017-5-18
Use props
MaicProFlyer_2D
New
Flight distance : 417851 ft
United States

thanks for the great post
2017-5-28
Use props
AndyP.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3738274 ft
  • >>>
United States

absolutely stuning!
2017-6-2
Use props
Bracco
Captain
Flight distance : 244856 ft
Italy

Thank you
2017-7-25
Use props
rwcreigh
Second Officer
Flight distance : 111818 ft

United States

thanks, really neat
2017-9-28
Use props
Paulbuddin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 157234 ft
United Kingdom

Brilliant!
2017-9-29
Use props
TWISTED TERRY
lvl.4
United States

THANK YOU FOR YOURPOST
2017-11-30
Use props
PeteHB
Second Officer

France

Another great explanation of how to do something.

Thanks
2017-11-30
Use props
Rance
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5650 ft
United States

You can turn off the led lights on the front arms?
2017-11-30
Use props
slamblood
lvl.1

Russia

Looks impressive. Thanks for sharing processing steps.
2017-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules