Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
This guy needs to have his DJI Refresh voided
2845 27 2017-3-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iFlyKid
lvl.1
United States

Not my video by all means, but the sheer stupidity and then when we need our drones replaced we're in queue because of people like this. All for the name of youtube.
2017-3-20
Use props
Supervisor
lvl.3
Flight distance : 197602 ft
United States

Why? This is what the insurance is for. You confuse insurance with warranty.
2017-3-20
Use props
geofox784
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

Great way to get a chunk of your ear chopped off. Didn't even turn off obstacle avoidance (you can hear it) resulting in it lurching forward in the first attempt. If he just flew it through the viewfinder it wouldn't be that hard.
2017-3-20
Use props
Willik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

Don't want to discuss further that it's illegal to pilot the UAV from moving vehicle/boat, even when this trial is interresting. It's showing how precisely the obstacle avoidance for Mavic works and it also proves that it is impossible to land on moving platform without significant risk of failure. There was similar thread few days ago - someone was asking if it is possible to take off / land from/to a moving ferry. I guess this might be the same guy, since someone else recommended him to train at first from the moving pick-up. He also recommended to train hand-catching (with catching mod attached to Mavic) in order to be capable to land at least semi-safely. Seems to me that only half ot the recommendation was heard. :-)

Still on the other hand this acting is crazy, stupid and dangerous, I hope they will not kill anybody.

2017-3-21
Use props
Mcdudeflut
Second Officer
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

I never want reward stupidity so i didn't watch the video.

And about insurance remark.
An insurance premium is based upon a certain risk.
If someone takes more risk then originally intendend then usually this result in more claims for the insurance company and thus a higher loss then premium.
And when they don't make a profit this will result into:
A) a higher premium
B) less coverage
C) a combination of A&B

So in the end we are paying for the stupidity of these guys and they make a profit from the Youtube views.
And that takes me to my first sentence

2017-3-21
Use props
Matt-and-Riley
First Officer
Flight distance : 324442 ft
United Kingdom

I watched it, gave it 2 likes and subscribed to their channel. Safety nerds freaking out again, lol

Life must be so boring in your 'world' - get out and have some fun
2017-3-21
Use props
Range30
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11281079 ft
United States

Mcdudeflut Posted at 2017-3-21 01:25

And about insurance remark.

Thank you for the info.
2017-3-21
Use props
ChasinTail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42943 ft
United States

Willik Posted at 2017-3-21 00:03
Don't want to discuss further that it's illegal to pilot the UAV from moving vehicle/boat, even when this trial is interresting. It's showing how precisely the obstacle avoidance for Mavic works and it also proves that it is impossible to land on moving platform without significant risk of failure. There was similar thread few days ago - someone was asking if it is possible to take off / land from/to a moving ferry. I guess this might be the same guy, since someone else recommended him to train at first from the moving pick-up. He also recommended to train hand-catching (with catching mod attached to Mavic) in order to be capable to land at least semi-safely. Seems to me that only half ot the recommendation was heard. :-)

Still on the other hand this acting is crazy, stupid and dangerous, I hope they will not kill anybody.

Can you post a link to the law where it is illegal to pilot from a moving boat?
2017-3-21
Use props
geofox784
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

ChasinTail Posted at 2017-3-21 07:57

There is no requirement to not be controlling from a moving vehicle under the 336 exemption. I don't know about 107 if you are operating commercially.
2017-3-21
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

It's legal in the U.S. for a recreational pilot to operate a drone from a moving car or boat.
2017-3-21
Use props
Silverado101980
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5858166 ft
United States

Guess DJI should take the follow me mode away then. Think I'm going to stop looking at the forum between sad crash stories blaming DJI and people making up their own rules it's a complete downer on owning one
2017-3-21
Use props
wheezy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 86755 ft
United States

One thing is for sure, that dude is a horrible pilot!
2017-3-21
Use props
BigKitty
lvl.1
Flight distance : 148907 ft
Mexico

yes agreed I saw this the other day, what a hillbilly and yes he should have his refresh taken from him!!
2017-3-21
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

I really don't have an issue with someone attempting this, but couldn't put myself in this position.  There was way too high of risk for the result to be failure/damage, and little chance for a good ending.  Would have been better to try with a more controlled and slower environment......
2017-3-21
Use props
Tharg (from the
First Officer
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Yup - the Mavic Rednecks are at it again
2017-3-21
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

Ok, I think everyone is missing the obvious. He destroys his Mavic, sends it in for his Care Refresh replacement. A month later you have a problem with yours, and send yours in to be repaired. They replace yours with his that was repaired. Good luck with that.
2017-3-21
Use props
9jazOE24mkSC
Flight distance : 457228 ft
United States

We have a lot of drone NAZI's in here.  It's his drone so don't worry about it a*#holes.
2017-3-21
Use props
EdM
Captain
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

If he would have gone ahead and landed with his legs spread out it might have cut back on future generations trying stupid stunts.  ;-)
2017-3-21
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

wheezy Posted at 2017-3-21 09:13
One thing is for sure, that dude is a horrible pilot!

lol yeah think I could do it.  Saw him panic every time it lost side to side. I fly mode 2 and this would be pretty easy to land with one thumb as long as the driver kept a steady speed.

I like this guys channel. He pushes the limits and doesn't put anyone at risk like a lot of others do (flying over freeways and people), check out the one where he flys to another town in sports mode the whole time from a moving car.
2017-3-21
Use props
ChasinTail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 42943 ft
United States

Well, I plan on using my mavic while out on boats this summer.  With wind and currents I'll be moving 1-3 mph, so hopefully I do a better job than this guy does.  I may look at rigging up some sort of catch handle and catching it instead of landing on the deck.
2017-3-21
Use props
boostedford
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

if we could switch to atti he could make this work
2017-3-21
Use props
Tharg (from the
First Officer
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

EdM Posted at 2017-3-21 13:59
If he would have gone ahead and landed with his legs spread out it might have cut back on future generations trying stupid stunts.  ;-)

Darwinism prevails
2017-3-22
Use props
ROGAT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62064 ft
Australia

ChasinTail Posted at 2017-3-21 16:32
Well, I plan on using my mavic while out on boats this summer.  With wind and currents I'll be moving 1-3 mph, so hopefully I do a better job than this guy does.  I may look at rigging up some sort of catch handle and catching it instead of landing on the deck.

a couple of useful tips for landing on boats, # 1 always use the back deck ( they are usually the ones with the most room)  # 2 this one is important - Back the drone into the landing point first it stops you getting confused with reversed control issues right is left etc etc and second the obstacle avoidance system doesn't come into play .
2017-3-22
Use props
Turkk71
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-21 08:01
It's legal in the U.S. for a recreational pilot to operate a drone from a moving car or boat.

Thats good, because I do it often to get moving vehicle shots.  
2017-3-22
Use props
Willik
Second Officer
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

EU legislation, flight act (CZ adaptation).

Flight Act (code No. L2), attachment X, Chapter 12:

12 Pohyb pilota
Bezpilotní letadlo nesmí být bez povolení ÚCL
provozováno při současném pohybu pilota pomocí
technického zařízení.

Basicly it says -  you are not allowed to pilot a UA while using any kind of a moving platform.

Cheers.
2017-4-10
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Willik Posted at 2017-4-10 01:41
EU legislation, flight act (CZ adaptation).

Flight Act (code No. L2), attachment X, Chapter 12:

The video appears to have been made in the United States where it's legal to operate a drone from a moving vehicle, at least when flying recreationally.

Incidentally, this is the same guy who posted the "Mid Air Shut Off & Restart" video:

2017-4-10
Use props
4wesomeAdam
Second Officer
United States

EdM Posted at 2017-3-21 13:59

Yeah, I was thinking how unsafe and exposed this guy was to spinning propeller blades. He could have easily gotten whacked in the head, lost an eye or hurt his genitalia.

Where is Johnny Knoxville when you need him. FYI, Johnny has permanent / irreversible body damage from his stunts.
2017-4-10
Use props
geigy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 456381 ft
United States

Lighten up - the guy is getting thousands of hits.  I don't see undue danger to others.  He's playing to an audience.  If that's not you, then fine.
2017-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules