12Next >
26534 76 2017-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc5df5dd0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8901 ft
United States

I am using a brand new Mavic Pro with the latest firmware. Follow Me mode doesn't work!!! I've tried using two different iPhone 7+'s and an iPad Air 2 with Cellular. The iPhones are both on the AT&T network. The iPad is on the Verizon network. All three devices have GPS that works flawlessly. None of these devices allow Follow Me mode to work. I always get the "Weak GPS" error, and it refuses to enter the mode. Considering that I've read that this problem also exists with other Apple devices as well as Samsung and other Android phones and tablets, I'd say this is a DJI problem. I'm baffled that DJI has not addressed this. Does anyone have an update on this?

Thanks!
2017-3-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello, please try to go to another open area to test the follow me again.
If convenient, please post a screenshot of the camera view from DJI GO app.
I'll help to check it.
2017-3-22
Use props
jreynolds5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535341 ft
United States

I have used follow me and active track both and they worked flawless ly. It sounds to me you are somewhwere where you are gettiging a bad gps signal.
2017-3-22
Use props
FlashGJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 293379 ft
United States

Everyone that I know or have talked to that is using an AT&T iPhone 7 or 7+ is having the exact same  "weak gps" issue. The at&t iPhone 7s have a different modem than the other models, and this appears to be causing the issue. I had to purchase a used iphone 6S to use with my MP. I am not sure why your Verizon iPad is not working, that is the first I have heard of a Verizon user having "weak gps" issues.
2017-3-22
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

If I'm not mistaken, ActiveTrack mode uses the visual system, not GPS.  Not sure if it's the same for Follow Me.
2017-3-22
Use props
Schata
lvl.3
Flight distance : 727641 ft
Germany

I have a German version of the iPhone 7 and am experiencing the same problem. I always get the "weak signal" warning. But it seems no to depend on what device you are using. I also tried it with my ipad but got the same problem.
I tried it a several different areas km away from voltage lines, cell phone antennas or even smallest buildings. Drone had 20 satellites but according to my app ipad and iphone had no or weak GPS signal.

Thats a bug for sure.
2017-3-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-3-22 06:20
If I'm not mistaken, ActiveTrack mode uses the visual system, not GPS.  Not sure if it's the same for Follow Me.

Follow Me relies on the GPS in your phone/device. I, too, have had mixed results using this feature and am on an AT&T iPhone 7.

Active Track works brilliantly, though.
2017-3-22
Use props
elementofgid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11050 ft
United States

I think it's more of a GPS problem on the device. My iPhone 5S and Nexus 7 always give the weak GPS warning in Follow Me, but my Nexus 6P is completely fine.
2017-3-22
Use props
Seamless Media
lvl.1
United States

Another idea is that the controller clamped around the phone may be covering the areas that have the antennae and blocking signal? Or too much interference from the controller? Might be worth testing with a longer usb cord and moving the phone/tablet out from the clamps and further away from the connected controller to see if the signal improves.
2017-3-22
Use props
Schata
lvl.3
Flight distance : 727641 ft
Germany

Seamless Media Posted at 2017-3-22 13:51
Another idea is that the controller clamped around the phone may be covering the areas that have the antennae and blocking signal? Or too much interference from the controller? Might be worth testing with a longer usb cord and moving the phone/tablet out from the clamps and further away from the connected controller to see if the signal improves.

Nope. Tried it with a full sized ipad (not pro) and got the same problem.
2017-3-22
Use props
fiddleman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8901 ft
United States

I have also tried this in multiple areas with multiple devices. I just recently purchased a MavMount for a full sized iPad (this is the iPad Air 2 with a Verizon broadband connection.). This mount raises the iPad well above the controller, and uses a plastic mounting bracket.

I'm flying at the top of a mountain without cell towers or other RF emitters. I've tried in front of my house. I've tried in a designated RC Aircraft field. I get no "interference" warnings from the controller or DJI-GO-4. As I mentioned in my original post, two different AT&T iPhone 7+'s exhibit this behavior (with 12 GPS satellites). The Verizon iPad also has this problem (also with 12 GPS satellites). I have ordered an 9" iPad Pro (also Verizon). When I get it, I'll run another test and report my results).

Meanwhile, the sheer volume of reports of this problem with multiple devices in multiple environments with multiple broadband carriers indicates to me that there is a problem somewhere in the controller or the firmware. I would sure like DJI to fess-up to a problem, and suggest a fix or at least that they are working on it.
2017-3-23
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Tried it today and at first Go 4 complained about weak GPS at 13 sats out of 16. I took the Mavic up to 47 feet where I got 15 out of 17 and was allowed to activate Follow Me. For the rest of the flight I never got below 14 sats. No idea if there's any correlation between the GPS numbers the Mavic reported and what my phone picked up from the ground, but fwiw. See boring video:

Note how there are a couple points where the Mavic takes a bit to "notice" that I've moved, after which it seems to track pretty well. I'd love to understand the algorithm Follow me uses to pull this off.
2017-3-23
Use props
BinkyBlue
lvl.1
Flight distance : 101985 ft
Japan

I have problem same as you when DJI updated DJI GO. I using DJI GO4 with Phantom 4.
2017-3-25
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

I only got through the first five or six posts and no sorry, something is wrong. I just had a P4 doing the exact same thing with 4 different IOS devices. I just bought a Mavic and am having the same issue as with the P4. Verizon here and iPhone 7+, 6+, 5s and iPad Pro and none will let me set a dynamic homepoint so no follow me or dynamic home point and with no way to turn into atti mode if it sets up a wayward homepoint WHICH HAS HAPPENED to me, RTH to who knows where, bye bye birdie and it will be my fault. I hope when I read this thread there is an answer to this and the Enjoy person that delivered mine said she saw it one other time. I thought I waited long enough to avoid this stuff and I am trying to decide if I want the I2 and I can't get a working Mavic. Hint DJI, it's got to be the software because it was doing it in a previously working P4.
2017-3-29
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-3-29 16:19
I only got through the first five or six posts and no sorry, something is wrong. I just had a P4 doing the exact same thing with 4 different IOS devices. I just bought a Mavic and am having the same issue as with the P4. Verizon here and iPhone 7+, 6+, 5s and iPad Pro and none will let me set a dynamic homepoint so no follow me or dynamic home point and with no way to turn into atti mode if it sets up a wayward homepoint WHICH HAS HAPPENED to me, RTH to who knows where, bye bye birdie and it will be my fault. I hope when I read this thread there is an answer to this and the Enjoy person that delivered mine said she saw it one other time. I thought I waited long enough to avoid this stuff and I am trying to decide if I want the I2 and I can't get a working Mavic. Hint DJI, it's got to be the software because it was doing it in a previously working P4.

Bump? If this isn't fixed in two days p, there will be three returned Mavic. I won't fly without the ability to set a point at home if meet bee.
2017-3-30
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Second bump
2017-3-30
Use props
fans8950102a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 972884 ft
Portugal

I have exactly the same problem - iphone 7 plus, dji go 4, updated firmware. I am NEVER able to use "follow me" mode because I always get the eeak gps error. My drone since new never worked properly (disconnecting issues randomly appearing) after 3 or 4 days sent it back to dji to be fixed, after 3 weeks got it back (yesterday) went to try it now is this "follow me issue" (the disconnecting issues keep appearing randomly and so I wonder what they did besides loosing my sd card - they never sent it back to me - and scratching my new Mavic Pro and the RC all over making it to look like garbage. They even removed my RC's screen protector and didn't put it back!) with a repair service like this I really wonder if it is worth to sent it AGAIN to be repaired...this is not the way to help your customers, DJI!!!
IMG_8185.PNG
2017-4-11
Use props
czyn0t
New
United States

I have exact same problem with my new Mavic. I have the latest firmware. This is happening to my mavic with iPhone 6 and phantom4 with ipad mini. Quad picking up 18-19 satellites.
My iPhone6 is T-Mobile. latest IOS.
- Track me working fine.
- Follow Me DO NOT WORK. It say weak signal. RTH to transmitter DO NOT WORK either. When I click return to transmitter. It say I am 0 feet from home point when I am 200ft away.

I am guessing DJI GO4 not receiving phone satellite. Something is blocking it. My iPhone6 have no problem with GPS driving map. I hope DJI will fix this soon.
2017-4-14
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-23 16:17
Tried it today and at first Go 4 complained about weak GPS at 13 sats out of 16. I took the Mavic up to 47 feet where I got 15 out of 17 and was allowed to activate Follow Me. For the rest of the flight I never got below 14 sats. No idea if there's any correlation between the GPS numbers the Mavic reported and what my phone picked up from the ground, but fwiw. See boring video:

https://youtu.be/jJItc9whv0A

Ex Machina,
                  At first I thought you were joking around in your Vid, that's along delay if you ask me the other thing I noticed in your Vid is that you were never centered in the frame . I wonder what would happen if you were on a bicycle or running ????????  
2017-4-14
Use props
Alex's Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5423 ft
United States

I have posted about this issue in a number of threads.  I have spoken to the tech support folks who claim it should work.  I was told to send it in for repair.  I refuse to send a two week old drone for repair.  I went to my local best buy and had one of the geaksquad agents go out with me to the parking lot with his phone and follow me worked flawlessly on his phone and not mine (iPhone 7Plus AT&T network).  His phone was iPhone 6sPlus on t-mobile.
There is clearly a compatibility issue with iPhone 7 & 7Plus since they are the only ones that use an intel modem instead of the qualcom modem.

Sending these devices in for repair is just a waste of time and it seems like a waste of DJI's resources.
2017-4-14
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Alex's Mavic Posted at 2017-4-14 18:03
I have posted about this issue in a number of threads.  I have spoken to the tech support folks who claim it should work.  I was told to send it in for repair.  I refuse to send a two week old drone for repair.  I went to my local best buy and had one of the geaksquad agents go out with me to the parking lot with his phone and follow me worked flawlessly on his phone and not mine (iPhone 7Plus AT&T network).  His phone was iPhone 6sPlus on t-mobile.
There is clearly a compatibility issue with iPhone 7 & 7Plus since they are the only ones that use an intel modem instead of the qualcom modem.

I can't for the life of me understand what difference the modem or radio would make in this feature -- if there was a different GPS chip, then maybe, but modem? Why?
2017-4-14
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-14 17:37
Ex Machina,
                  At first I thought you were joking around in your Vid, that's along delay if you ask me the other thing I noticed in your Vid is that you were never centered in the frame . I wonder what would happen if you were on a bicycle or running ????????

No joke, that's the way it works for me on my AT&T iPhone 7. Active track seems much more usable and responsive, but then I'd expect a visual system to be so.

Interesting question on how it would perform on a faster moving subject, maybe better since the delay should be shorter. Now that's it's getting warmer I'll have to out the bike hitch back on the car and give it a try.
2017-4-14
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

It's not an iPhone 7 issue as it doesn't work with my iPhone 7+, 6+, 5s, iPad Pro, and finally I got it to barely work with a Samsung S6. It makes no sense but I just sent mine back because until they can tell me what it works with and why, ill re-order it. If they send it back saying it works fine, I'll lose my mind. They now know "go try a different area" isn't the answer. When they stop responding in the threads, they know there is a problem and they are trying to figure it out. I know for a fact they know something is wrong and they are working on it. Here's to hoping they figure it out soon. What I need to know is if it does it with the I2 I really want to order.
2017-4-14
Use props
Alex's Mavic
lvl.2
United States

That's interesting. You may have a defective device. In my case as soon as I used my friends iPhone 6s Plus on T-Monile network it worked every time. Switched to my iPhone 7Plus AT&T in the same exact location it would indicate weak gps and obviously not work. As far as the phone modem is concerned I believe it is where the gps chip is.
2017-4-15
Use props
Alex's Mavic
lvl.2
United States

I have escalated this matter to the higher level tech support (or so they claimed). Who subsequently said that they were able to find that iPhone 7Plus on AT&T in fact has a different chip and therefore they are not responsible and maybe they will look into it and maybe they will not. To say that this is in any way appropriate is ridiculous. The spec page clearly states that iPhone 7 plus is supported. It does not differentiate between networks. It is very easy to start pointing fingers at Apple or the carrier. It is a lot harder to own up to the problem and try to fix it. That is what any reputable company would do. I refuse to believe that a company with ~$10 billion valuation would stoop down to this level. However, certain people hat Teper's sent the company in such manner should be let go.
2017-4-17
Use props
AdiPoparad
New
United Kingdom

Hi,
I'm using a brand new Mavic and I'm experiencing the same problems with changing the RTH point to transmitter and Follow Me mode. My phone is an iPhone 6S and I've tried it on both EE and Vodafone networks.
In a few days I'll travel to Thailand and I will test it on the other side of the world as well, this time using a DTAC (Thai provider) sim-card.
Honestly, after reading a lot of posts online, I think this is a DJI issue and they need to solve it asap.
I'll update this post, after I will test it in Thailand.
Br,
Adrian.
2017-4-18
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-23 16:17

https://youtu.be/jJItc9whv0A

Thanks. That's a tall shadow my friend!
2017-4-18
Use props
Alex's Mavic
lvl.2
United States

AdiPoparad Posted at 2017-4-18 03:42
Hi,
I'm using a brand new Mavic and I'm experiencing the same problems with changing the RTH point to transmitter and Follow Me mode. My phone is an iPhone 6S and I've tried it on both EE and Vodafone networks.
In a few days I'll travel to Thailand and I will test it on the other side of the world as well, this time using a DTAC (Thai provider) sim-card.

Contact Ed Windham who is the forum support manager.  He will tell you it is not a DJI problem and that there is nothing they can do.  I.e. they do not care.  They got your money, now you are on your own.
2017-4-18
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Alex's Mavic Posted at 2017-4-17 17:37
I have escalated this matter to the higher level tech support (or so they claimed). Who subsequently said that they were able to find that iPhone 7Plus on AT&T in fact has a different chip and therefore they are not responsible and maybe they will look into it and maybe they will not. To say that this is in any way appropriate is ridiculous. The spec page clearly states that iPhone 7 plus is supported. It does not differentiate between networks. It is very easy to start pointing fingers at Apple or the carrier. It is a lot harder to own up to the problem and try to fix it. That is what any reputable company would do. I refuse to believe that a company with ~$10 billion valuation would stoop down to this level. However, certain people hat Teper's sent the company in such manner should be let go.

That seems like a very odd diagnosis of the problem... I'm just speculating here, but I would have thought that any app (eg. DJI GO) doesn't communicate with the phone's "chip" directly. The phone's OS has a software layer to take care of communicating with the various bits of hardware. I can't imagine that app developers need to program their app differently depending on which GPS chip a particular model of iPhone has. Sounds fishy to me.
[EDIT]I'm not implying that I don't believe you (Alex). It's DJI's diagnosis that seems suspicious to me.
2017-4-18
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Is Follow Me still included in the the latest firmware .0600?

There was some talk about the feature being excised from the v1.6 manual but I keep forgetting to check if it's still there, and if the manual exclusion is just an editing oversight.

2017-4-18
Use props
JohnMcL7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 15295 ft
Belgium

Just to clarify the cellular issue - there are two versions of the iPhone 7, one uses a Qualcomm LTE modem and the other uses an Intel LTE modem.  There's been a lot of information about the Intel LTE modem being inferior to the Qualcomm LTE modem, since GPS chips can be integrated into cellular chipsets that's led people to suspect the phones with Intel modems also has an inferior Intel GPS chip.  I don't think that's the case though as there's people with iPhone 6's and cellular iPads  none of which use Intel modems (all Qualcomm) having this issue with follow me and when looking up GPS issues outwith DJI, there's no reported issues specifically for the Intel based iPhones .  More crucially though, from what I can tell both versions of the iPhone 7 use the same Broadcom GPS chip separate to the LTE modem - it's definitely the case for the Intel based iPhones and from what I can see, the Qualcomm ones are the same although I can't find a detailed teardown of the qualcomm phone showing the GPS chipset, only the Intel one:

http://www.techinsights.com/abou ... -iphone-7-teardown/
2017-4-18
Use props
FL PTFLyer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8577454 ft
United States

Found this on the FB page of DJI MAVIC PRO Owners Group

OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM DJI RE FOLLOW ME FEATURE PROBLEMS.

"We are modifying our website to indicate that the iPhone 7 and 7+ with the Intel chip set is not compatible with the Follow Me function.

If you you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,​

Edward J. Windham
DJI North America Forum Support"
2017-4-18
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-18 06:53
Is Follow Me still included in the the latest firmware .0600?

There was some talk about the feature being excised from the v1.6 manual but I keep forgetting to check if it's still there, and if the manual exclusion is just an editing oversight.

Confirmed the feature is still in .0600. Didn't try it, though.
2017-4-25
Use props
jwblair47
lvl.1
Flight distance : 693816 ft
United States

My moto g4 worked fine until it updated from Marshmallow to Nougat, then I began getting the weak GPS error. Same hardware, updated OS.

I just bought an ipad mini 4 wireless + cellular since I wanted a bigger screen. Same weak GPS error.

DJI Mindy - any idea if DJI is working to fix this major bug?
2017-5-12
Use props
jwblair47
lvl.1
Flight distance : 693816 ft
United States

jwblair47 Posted at 2017-5-12 02:40
My moto g4 worked fine until it updated from Marshmallow to Nougat, then I began getting the weak GPS error. Same hardware, updated OS.

I just bought an ipad mini 4 wireless + cellular since I wanted a bigger screen. Same weak GPS error.

Just a quick update to my previous post. Took the iPad outside and it works fine, no GPS problems.
2017-5-12
Use props
Air Hounder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126558 ft
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-22 03:15
Hello, please try to go to another open area to test the follow me again.
If convenient, please post a screenshot of the camera view from DJI GO app.
I'll help to check it.

Hi Mindy.  The Follow Me mode does not work (GPS signal too weak). I am running the latest DJI Go app version and the latest Mavic firmware version.  My device is a MotoG4 Plus with the location set to high accuracy.   By the comments I have read in this forum and others, it appears  to me that this is a DJI problem that continues to be ignored.  Could you please shed some light on this and advise if DJI is taking steps to solve this issue? Thank you
2017-5-24
Use props
nhlevin
New
United States

Didn't work for me either using an iPad Pro with cell on Verizon.  Says "No GPS" when in fact there are 17 birds showing.  I read above where it's believed to be the devices GPS and not the Mavic's.  Either way, open field, no interference, 16 birds.  I'm just sayin'...

Solution please.  Intelligent Flight Mode being not so intelligent.
2017-5-27
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

FL PTFLyer Posted at 2017-4-18 17:56
Found this on the FB page of DJI MAVIC PRO Owners Group

OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM DJI RE FOLLOW ME FEATURE PROBLEMS.

It's been over a month and I still don't find that info on the website -- am I missing it?
2017-5-27
Use props
Andy Uk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3985676 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Griffith Posted at 2017-3-22 06:20

Correct re Active Track.  Follow-Me does use your phone/device GPS though.  This is why iPad WiFi only devices won't work as they have no on-board GPS
2017-5-28
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Went out today with .0800/4.1.0 at the same place I recorded my test video -- today the app reported strong GPS signal, but the feature didn't work at all this time -- Mavic stayed put and never tracked me. iPhone 7/ATT&T/iOS 10.3.2.
2017-6-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules