New Electronics Ban
1740 13 2017-3-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sangarone
lvl.2
United States

With the new ban on carry on electronics for flights to the US, where do you figure that puts Mavic batteries?

Are batteries technically electronics? Will be flying back to the US via Qatar Airways in a few weeks, I guess Im just planning on bubble wrapping the hell out of my mavic/laptop/dslr etc etc but not sure what they expect people to do with their lithium ions.
2017-3-21
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

The purpose of the ban is to prevent explosives hidden in electronics. CIA intelligence must have picked up something indicating an imminent threat. A mavic battery is massive compared to a laptop so it's an even bigger "threat". If a laptop is banned then a large RC battery would almost certainly be. You will probably be able to put it in checked luggage.
2017-3-21
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264101 ft
Canada

geofox784 Posted at 2017-3-21 17:14
The purpose of the ban is to prevent explosives hidden in electronics. CIA intelligence must have picked up something indicating an imminent threat. A mavic battery is massive compared to a laptop so it's an even bigger "threat". If a laptop is banned then a large RC battery would almost certainly be. You will probably be able to put it in checked luggage.

But FAA bans LiPo in checked baggage no?
2017-3-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

lildevilx Posted at 2017-3-21 17:42
But FAA bans LiPo in checked baggage no?

That's a blanket for all airlines world wide regarding lipo battery as far as I know., I think the electronics ban is only for a limited number of Arab countries, U.K. Have also issued same ban.
2017-3-21
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

This is simply to discourage travel. Period.
2017-3-21
Use props
Jimmy B.
lvl.1
United States

Lithium batteries MUST be carried on board. The contacts must be sealed with tape and the battery in a sealed plastic bag and not connected to equipment. Each battery must be under 100 watt/hours (Mavic battery is 43.662 w/h).
2017-3-21
Use props
Sangarone
lvl.2
United States

Jimmy B. Posted at 2017-3-21 18:07
Lithium batteries MUST be carried on board. The contacts must be sealed with tape and the battery in a sealed plastic bag and not connected to equipment. Each battery must be under 100 watt/hours (Mavic battery is 43.662 w/h).

Im familiar with the rules in general circumstances... just looking for any insight for the current set of restrictions... Since theyre not allowed in checked luggage and with these new rules in place I have a feeling theyre going to have me toss $270 worth of batteries in the garbage.
2017-3-21
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Sangarone Posted at 2017-3-21 18:13
Im familiar with the rules in general circumstances... just looking for any insight for the current set of restrictions... Since theyre not allowed in checked luggage and with these new rules in place I have a feeling theyre going to have me toss $270 worth of batteries in the garbage.

Yikes. Maybe you can ship the batteries home?
2017-3-21
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

wait what new rules? i cant bring my laptop or my mavic with batteries on a plane now? (us travel only)
2017-3-21
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

boostedford Posted at 2017-3-21 19:19
wait what new rules? i cant bring my laptop or my mavic with batteries on a plane now? (us travel only)

From Reuters: U.S., Britain curb electronics on flights from Middle East, North Africa
2017-3-21
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264101 ft
Canada

Jimmy B. Posted at 2017-3-21 18:07

That i know... but according to the new rules, you're not allowed to bring it the mavic on some flights to the US. Does this mean you would pack the battery in the carry on and the mavic in the checked?
I would thinkthat just bringing say 2 packs of LiPo battery with nothing to connect it to would be more sketchy then bringing a multi-rotor on board....
2017-3-22
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

where are you flying from? as it is not for all inbound US flights.

"Called the TSA “emergency amendment,” the order affects nine airlines that fly out of 10 airports in the Middle East and Northern Africa:

Jordan’s Queen Alia International
Egypt’s Cairo International
Turkey’s Istanbul Ataturk
Saudi Arabia’s King Abdulaziz International
Saudi Arabia’s King Khalid International
Kuwait International
Qatar’s Doha International
Morocco’s Mohammed V Airport
Dubai International
Abu Dabi International"
2017-3-22
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

I suggest you contact the airline prior to checking in.  They may have better insight into the new rules and how to handle the batteries.  I'm guessing laptop batteries are also affected.  Worst case is that you have to mail your batteries back, in which case they'll just fly in the cargo hold of another plane :-)
2017-3-22
Use props
BrianP525
lvl.2
Flight distance : 262156 ft
United States

I will be traveling to and from Australia with layovers in Qatar next month. I have been researching what this means for travel with batteries as I will be bringing my mavic. Leaving the Us is not a problem, it's only flying into the US. The Qatar airlines website posted information about the policy last night, but today was updated with the last bit about batteries:
"Effective 21 March 2017 in accordance with new United States government regulations, all passengers travelling on United States-bound flights are prohibited from carrying any electronic devices on board the flight larger than a cellular phone or smart phone, with the exception of medical devices needed during the flight, spare lithium batteries or power banks."
It seems as if all electronics (larger than a cell phone) will need to be checked but lipo's and other rechargeable batteries are still the exception. I just purchased a larger fire-proof lipo bag that I plan on putting my mavic batteries and a couple battery banks for my cell phone and usb devices in this bag and bringing it in my carry-on. This could change but it seems to be the most info I have been able to find yet.
2017-3-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules